- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Implementation of CoAP/6LoWPAN over BLE Networks for IoT Services
BLE 네트워크 상에서 사물인터넷 서비스 제공을 위한 CoAP과 6LoWPAN 구현
- Received : 2016.03.03
- Accepted : 2016.04.22
- Published : 2016.05.30
With the advent of Internet of Things (IoT) technology that allows the communications between things and devices over the Internet, a lot of researches on the IoT services, such as smart home or healthcare, have been progressed. In the existing machine-to-machine (M2M) communications, however, since the underlying link-layer technologies, such as Bluetooth or ZigBee, do not use the Internet Protocol (IP) communication, those technologies are not suitable to provide the IoT services. Accordingly, this paper discusses how to provide the Internet services in the M2M communication, and propose an implementation of the Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) over 6LoWPAN for providing IoT services in the BLE networks. Based on the implementation, we compared the performance between HTTP and CoAP for IoT communications. From the experimental results, we can see that the CoAP protocol gives better performance than the HTTP protocol with two times higher throughput, 21% faster transmission time, and 22% smaller amount of generated packets.
IoT;Bluetooth Low Energy;6LoWPAN;CoAP
- W. Andrew and A. Anurag, The Internet of Things –A survey of topics and trends, Information Systems Frontiers, Volume 17, Issue 2, pp. 261-274, April, 2015 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10796-014-9489-2
- A. Aamir, S. Mohamed, S. Neelam and T. Anurag, An Internet of Things approach for motion detection using Raspberry pi, Intelligent Computing and Internet of Things (ICIT), 2014 International Conference on, pp 131-134, Jan. 2015.
- W. Jiafu, L. Di, Z. Caifeng and Z. Keliang, M2M Communications for Smart City: An Event-Based Architecture, Computer and Information Technology (CIT), 2012 IEEE 12th International Conference on, pp. 895-900, Oct. 2012.
- H. Stephan, S. Alexandru, B. Martin and C. Francois, A Domain Model for the Internet of Things, Green Computing and Communications (GreenCom), 2013 IEEE and Internet of Things (iThings/CPSCom), IEEE International Conference on and IEEE Cyber, Physical and Social Computing. pp. 411-417, Aug. 2013.
- M. Geoff, The 6LoWPAN Architecture, EmNets '07 Proceedings of the 4th workshop on Embedded networked sensors, pp. 78-82, June, 2007
- K. Seok-gap, P. Il-kyun, S. Seung-cheol and L. Byeong-tak, Trends of IETF CoAP Based Sensor Connection Protocol Technology, 2013 Electronics and Telecommunications Trends, ETRI, pp. 133-140, Dec. 2013
- N. Kushalnagar, G. Montenegro and C. Schumacher, IPv6 over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area Networks (6LoWPANs): Overview, Assumptions, Problem Statement, And Goals, Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) Request for Comments: 4919, Oct. 2015
- Z. Shelby, K. Hartke and C. Bormann, The Constrained Application Protocol, Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) Request for Comments: 7252, June, 2014
- M. Kovatsch, S. Duquennoy and A. Dunkels, A Low-Power CoAP for Contiki, Mobile Adhoc and Sensor Systems (MASS), 2011 IEEE 8th International Conference on, pp. 855 -860, Oct. 2011
- L. Alessandro, M. Pol and Anna Calveras, TinyCoAP: A Novel Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) Implementation for Embedding RESTful Web Services in Wireless Sensor Networks Based on TinyOS, Journal of Sensor and Actuator Networks, pp. 288–315, 2013
- T. Fielding, T. Richard, Principled Design of the Modern Web Architecture, ACM Transactions on Internet Technology (TOIT), Vol. 2, Issue 2, pp. 115-150, May, 2002 https://doi.org/10.1145/514183.514185
- S. Teemu, K. kanji, B. Frank, D. Joe and H. Robin et al., Internet Protocol Support Profile, Bluetooth Specification, Dec. 2014
- NovaGenesis Applied to Information-Centric, Service-Defined, Trustable IoT/WSAN Control Plane and Spectrum Management vol.18, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/s18093160