- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Comparative Study of Two Measures of Traffic Flow Effectiveness at Roundabouts and Signalized Intersections
회전교차로와 신호교차로의 설치기준 지표 비교에 관한 연구
- Received : 2016.02.12
- Accepted : 2016.05.17
- Published : 2016.06.15
PURPOSES : This study compared two measures of traffic flow effectiveness on roads with roundabouts and signalized intersections and determined the more appropriate measure. METHODS : In addition to average delay time, the conventionally used measure, average travel time was introduced to measure traffic flow effectiveness because it is able to be obtained through field survey and reflect different travel distances and speed limits of roundabouts and signalized intersections. Using the two measures, roundabouts and signalized intersections were compared through simulations in terms of traffic flow effectiveness. RESULTS : For one-way single-lane roads, the two measures indicated consistent results that roundabouts were more effective than were signalized intersections when the traffic volume was less than 300 vphpl but vice versa when it exceeded 450 vphpl; however, the measures yielded inconsistent results when the volume was 350~400 vphpl. For one-way double-lane roads, the two measures indicated consistent results that roundabouts were more effective than were signalized intersections when the volume was less than 200 vphpl but vice versa when it exceeded 400 vphpl; however, the measures yielded inconsistent results when the volume was 250~350 vphpl. The results obtained using the two measures differed substantially for double-lane roads because behaviors such as weaving and lane changing at roundabouts are more common in double-lane roads than in single-lane roads. CONCLUSIONS : The average delay time would be lower on roads with roundabouts, but average travel time would be lower on roads with signalized intersections. Thus, evaluating the relative effectiveness of roads with roundabouts and signalized intersections by using average delay time alone would be inappropriate, whereas using average travel time as the evaluation index would yield fairer results.
roundabout;signalized intersection;speed limit;measure of traffic flow effectiveness;average delay time;average travel time
- Ahn, seyoung. (2013). Analysis on delay effects of modern roundabouts in community zones. master's thesis. Kacheon University.
- FHWA. (2000). Roundabouts, an information guide.
- Kim, Eungchul, Ji, Minkyoung. (2009). A Study of Level of Service Criteria for Roundabouts. Korean Society Of Transportation. Vol. 27, No.1, pp.7-16.
- Lee, Dongmin, Kim, Dohoon. (2011). A Study on Construction of Roundabouts considering the Effects for Adjacent Intersections in Urban Network. Korean Society Of Transportation. Vol. 29, No.5, pp.79-89.
- Lee, Dongmin, Yoo, Jungho. (2013). A Study on Appropriate Traffic Volume Calculation for Revitalizing Roundabout Installation. Korean Society Of Transportation. Vol. 31, No.6, pp.43-52. https://doi.org/10.7470/jkst.2013.31.6.043
- Lee, Dongmin, Yoo, Jungho, Kim, Dohoon, Lee, Sukki. (2013), An Analysis of Roundabout Application Effects Based on Before and After Field Studies. Korean Society Of Road Engineers. Vol. 15, No.1, pp.111-119.
- Ministry of land, Infrastructure and Transport. (2014). Korea Roundabout Guideline.
- Park, Byongho, Kim, Taeyoung, Han, Sangook, Yang, Jungmo. (2009. Comparative Analysis on the Effectiveness of Modern Roundabouts and 4-legged Signalized Intersections. Intelligent Transportation Systems. Vol. 8, No.2, pp.27-35.
- Park, Byongho, Kim, Kyunghwan. (2012). Comparative Analysis on the Delay of Rotary and Roundabout by Operational Type. Korean Society Of Road Engineers. Vol. 14, No.2, pp.83-91.
- UK national roundabout conference. (2008). The UK standards for roundabouts and mini-round abouts.