- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Application of an Emission Estimation Methodology to Reflect Microscale Road Driving Conditions
미시적 도로주행 조건을 반영한 배출량 산정 방법의 적용 사례 연구
Hu, Hyejung;Yoon, Chunjoo;Yang, Choongheon;Kim, Jinkook
- Received : 2016.03.14
- Accepted : 2016.05.18
- Published : 2016.06.15
PURPOSES : This study proposes a methodology to collect data necessary for microlevel emission estimation, such as second-by-second speeds and road grades, and to accordingly estimate emissions. METHODS : To ease data collection for microlevel emission estimation, a vehicle equipped with speed- and location-recording instruments as well as equipment for measuring road geometry was used. As a case study, this vehicle and the proposed methodology were used on a 10-km-long highway in Yongin City, Korea. Emissions from the vehicle during driving were estimated in various microscale driving conditions. RESULTS : Differences in the estimated emission under different microscale driving conditions cannot be ignored. Compared with the estimations obtained when second-by-second data were not considered, CO and NOx emissions were more than threefold higher when considering second-by-second speed; similarly, CO and NOx emission estimations were higher by approximately 10% and 3%, respectively, when considering second-by-second road grade. CONCLUSIONS : The proposed method can estimate vehicle emissions under real-world driving conditions in such applications as road design and traffic policy assessments.
emission estimation;driving cycle;road grade;microlevel emission estimation
- Baek W., Song, B., 2007. Roll and pitch estimation via an accelerometer array and sensor networks, KSAE Vol. 8, 753-760.
- Choi, S., Do, M., 2014. Development of fuel consumption estimation model considering road gradient, Korean Society of Road Engineers, Conference paper, 119-122.
- Choi, S., Jung, H., Shin, Y., Lim, J., Shin, Y., Park, Y., 2010. A study on the effect of driving conditions of passenger cars on the fuel consumption, The Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, Conference paper, 676-681.
- Choi, S., Oh, T., 2011. Effect on the fuel economy by gradient in automobile driveway, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 12, No. 7, 2925-2930. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.7.2925
- Department of the Environment, Transport, and the Regions, UK, 1999. Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB), Volume 11, Section 3, Part 1-Air Quality.
- Gkatzoflias, D., Ntziachristos, L., Samaras, Z., 2007. COPERT 4 Computer Programme to Calculate Emissions from Road Transport - Users Manual, ETC?ACC (European Topic Centre on Air Air and Climate Change.
- Hong, S., Ryu, J.,, Gerdes, C., 2001. Road grade and vehicle parameter estimation for longitudinal control using GPS, IEEE, ITS Conference paper.
- Hu, H., Yoon, C., Lee, T., Yang, I., Sung J., 2013. Instantaneous GHG emission estimation method considering vehicle characteristics in Korea, J. Korean Soc. Transp., Vol.31, No.6, 90-105. https://doi.org/10.7470/jkst.2013.31.6.090
- Hu, H., Frey, C., Yoon, C., Yang, C., Kim, J., 2016. A study for developing a operating mode-based emission model for Korea, J. Korean Soc. Transp., in press.
- Jost, P., Hassel, D., Webber, F., Sonnborn, J., 1992. Emission and Fuel Consumption Modelling Based on Continuous Measurements. DRIVE Project V1053, TUV Rhineland, Cologne, Deliverable No. 7.
- Joumard, R., Jost, P., Hickman, J., 1995. Influence of Instantaneous Speed and Acceleration on Hot Passenger Car Emissions and Fuel Consumption, SAE Paper 950928, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, Pennsylvania.
- Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology, 2012. Development of Next Generation Equipment for Road Safety Inspection, Research Project Final Report.
- Lee, J., Choi, J. Noh, K., Hu, H., 2016. Application methodology of greenhouse gases emission table for various types of roads and vehicles, International Journal of Highway Engineering, Vol. 18, No.1, 23-31. https://doi.org/10.7855/IJHE.2016.18.1.023
- Lee, T., Keel, J., Park, J., Park, Y., Hong, J., Lee, D., 2011. Speedbased emission factor regarding vehicle specific power and acceleration during on-road driving, Transactions of KSAE, Vol.19, No.1, 73-81.
- National Institute of Environmental Research, 2011, GHG-CAPSS Green House Gas Emission Calculation Method Manual.
- Park, J., Park, Y.. Lee, J., 2000. Estimation of real driving fuel consumption rate of a vehicle when driving on road including grade to measure the fuel consumption rate, Transactions of KSAE, Vol. 8, No. 2, 65-76.
- Park, J., Yun, D.. Sung, J., Lee, J., 2012. The Measurement of Road Alignment Using GPS-IMU System, J. Korean Soc. Transp., Vol.30, No.5, 61-69.
- Pelkmans, L., Debal, P., Hood, T., Hauser, G., Delgado, M. R., 2004. Development of a Simulation Tool to Calculate Fuel Consumption and Emissions of Vehicles Operating in Dynamic Conditions, SAE Paper 2004-01-1873, Society of Automotive Engineers.
- Rexeis, M., Hausberger, S., Riemersma, I., Tartakovsky, L., Zvirin, Y., Erwin, C., 2005. Heavy-duty Vehicle Emissions, Final Report of WP400 in ARTEMIS (Assessment and Reliability of Transport Emission Models and Inventory Systems), University of Technology, Graz.
- Scora, G., Barth, M., 2006. Comprehensive Modal Emissions Model(CMEM), Version 3.01, User's Guide, University of California, Riverside Center for Environmental Research and Technology.
- U.S. EPA MOVES, 2010. http://www.epa.gov/otaq/models/moves/index.htm.
- Wipke, K., Cuddy, M., Bharathan, D., Burch, S., Johnson, V., Markel, A., Sprik, S., 1999. Advisor 2.0 : A Second-Generation Advanced Vehicle Simulator for Systems Analysis, National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- Yun, D., Sung, J., 2014. A study of geometric data collection for vertical alignment analysis using road safety survey & analysis vehicle, KoreanN Society of Civil Engineers, Conference paper, 3832-3837.
- Zhang, K., Frey, C., 2005. Road Grade Estimation For On-Road Vehicle Emissions Modeling Using Lidar Data, 05-A-1137-AWMA.
- National Institute of Environmental Research, 2010. National Air Pollutant Emission Calculation Method Manual II
Supported by : Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport of Korea