- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Discriminant Analysis of Factors Affecting Traffic Accident Severity During Daytime and Nighttime
판별분석을 활용한 주·야간 고속도로 교통사고 영향요인 비교연구
Kim, Kyoungtae;Lee, Soobeom;Choi, Jihye;Park, Sinae;Seo, Geumyeol
- Received : 2016.03.30
- Accepted : 2016.05.20
- Published : 2016.06.15
PURPOSES : Low visibility caused by dark surroundings at nighttime affects the likelihood of accidents, and various efforts, such as installing road safety facilities, have been made to reduce accidents at night. Despite these efforts, the nighttime severity index (SI) in Korea was higher than the daytime SI during 2011-2014. This study determined the factors affecting daytime and nighttime accident severity through a discriminant analysis. METHODS : Discriminant analysis. RESULTS : First, drowsiness, lack of attention, and lighting facilities affected both daytime and nighttime accident severity. Accidents were found to be caused by a low ability to recognize the driving conditions and a low obstacle avoidance capability. Second, road conditions and speeding affected only the daytime accident severity. Third, failure to maintain a safe distance significantly affected daytime accident severity and nonsignificantly affected nighttime accident severity. The majority of such accidents were caused by rear-end collisions of vehicles driving in the same direction; given the low relative speed difference in such cases, the shock imparted by the accidents was minimal. CONCLUSIONS : Accidents caused by a failure to maintain a safe distance has lower severity than do accidents caused by other factors.
discriminant function;accident severity;factor of accident;accident at daytime;accident at nighttime
- B. K. Kim. (2007). "The Study on Discriminant Model of Traffic Accidents at the Interchange of Freeway." Graduate School of Transport ITS Ajou university.
- C. W. Do., et al. (2013), Traffic Safety Engineering, Cheong Moon Gak Publishing Co.(Gyeonggi-do, Korea), pp.39.
- H. J. No (2010), Understanding Multivariate Analysis' Principles and Practicing Multivariate Analysis by Excel, Hanol Publishing Co.(Seoul, Korea).
- J. J. Park (2014). "Crash Characteristics within the Bridge Influence Area of Expressway Using the Discriminant Analysis." Journal of Korean Society of Road Engineers., Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 149-158.
- J. T. Park, J. Y. Hong, S. B. Lee (2010). "Development of Traffic Accident Safety Index under Different Weather Conditions." Journal of Korean Society of Transportation., Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 157-163.
- Monsere CM., Fischer EL. (2008), "Safety Effects of reducing freeway illumination for energy conservation." Accident Analysis and Prevention., Vol. 40, No. 5, pp.1173-1180.
- S. B. Cha (2008), Understanding of this multivariate anaysis through case, Baeksan Publishing Co.(Gyeonggi-do, Korea).
- S. Choi, K. Y. Lee, C. Oh, D. K. Kim (2013), "Effects of Weather and Traffic Conditions on Truck Accident Severity on Freeways." KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering., Vol. 33, No. 3, pp.1105-1113.
- S. M. Hong, J. K. Kim, C. Oh (2012). "Characteristics of Geometric Conditions Affecting Freeway Traffic Safety at Nighttime, Sunrise, and Sunset.", Journal of Korean Society of Transportation., , Vol.30, No.4, pp.95-106.
- S. S. Lee, T. H. Kim, B. S. Son (2014). "Study on Effect of Low Visibility Condition at Nighttime on Traffic Accident." The Journal of The Korea Institute of Intelligent Transport Systems., Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.12-26.