- Volume 6 Issue 2
Over recent years the offshore wind turbines are becoming more feasible solution to the energy problem, which is crucial for Egypt. In this article a three floating support structure, tension leg platform types (TLP), for 5-MW wind turbine have been considered. The dynamic behavior of a triangular, square, and pentagon TLP configurations under multi-directional regular and random waves have been investigated. The environmental loads have been considered according to the Egyptian Metrological Authority records in northern Red sea zone. The dynamic analysis were carried out using ANSYS-AQWA a finite element analysis software, FAST a wind turbine dynamic software, and MATLAB software. Investigation results give a better understanding of dynamical behavior and stability of the floating wind turbines. Results include time history, Power Spectrum densities (PSD's), and plan stability for all configurations.
dynamic response;offshore wind turbines;tension leg platform;wave forces
- Abou-Rayam, M.A. and Hussein, S.O. (2015), "Influence of wave approach angle on square tlp's behavior in random sea", Proceedings of the 2015 world congress, ASEM15, Incheon, Korea, August.
- Bachynski, E. and Moan, T. (2012), "Design consideration for tension leg platform wind turbines", Mar. Struct., 29, 89-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marstruc.2012.09.001
- Borg, M. and Collu, M. (2014 b), "A comparison on the dynamics of a floating vertical axis wind turbine on three different floating support structures", Sci. Direct- Energy Procedia, 52, 268-279.
- Borg, M., Wang, K., Coullu, M. and Moan, T. (2014a), "Comparison of toe coupled model of dynamics for offshore floating vertical axis wind turbine (VAWT)", Proceedings of the ASME 33rd international conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, San Francisco, USA, June.
- Ebrahimi,A., Abbaspour, M. and Nasiri, R.M. (2014), "Dynamic behavior of a tension leg platform offshore wind turbine under environmental loads", Scientia Iranica, 21(3),480-491.
- Ishihara, T., Phuc, P.V. and Sukegawa, H. (2007), "A numerical study on the dynamic response of a floating offshore wind turbine system due to resonance and nonlinear wave", Proceedings of the 2nd EOW, Berlin, Germany December.
- Jonkman, J., Butterfield, S., Musial, W. and Scott, G. (2009), Definition of a 5-MW Reference Wind Turbine for Offshore System Development, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, technical report.
- Kim, H.C. and Kim, M.H. (2016), "Comparison of simulated platform dynamics in steady/dynamic winds and irregular waves for OC4 semi-submersible 5MW wind-turbine against DeepCwind model-test results", Ocean Syst. Eng., 6(1), 1-21. https://doi.org/10.12989/ose.2016.6.1.001
- Lefebvre, S. and Collu, M. (2012), "Preliminary design of a floating support structure for 5 MW offshore wind turbine", Ocean Eng., 40, 15-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2011.12.009
- Lei, W. and Bert, S. (2012), "Simulation of large-amplitude motion of floating wind turbines using conservation of momentum", Ocean Eng., 42, 155-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2011.12.004
- Ramachcndran, G.K.V., Robertson, A., Jonkman, J.M. and Masciola M.D. (2013), "Investigation of Response amplitude operators for floating offshore wind turbines", Proceedings of the 23rd International Ocean, Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference- ISOPE, Anchorage Alaska. (NREL), June - July.
- Robertson, A., Jonkman, J.M., Musial, W., Vorpahl, F. and Popko, W. (2013), "offshore code comparison collaboration, continuation: Phase II Results of a floating semisubmersible wind system", Proceedings of the EWEA Offshore , Frankfurt, Germany, November.
- Srinivasan, N., Chakrabarti, S. and Radha, R. (2005), "Damping-controlled response of a truss-pontoon semi-submersible with heave-plates", Proceedings of the ASME 2005 24th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering 1, June.
- Suzuki, K., Yamaguchi, H., Akasa, M., Imakita, A. and Ishihara, T. (2011), "Initial design of TLP for offshore wind farm", J. Fluid Sci Technol., 6 (3).
- Wang, K., Moan, T. and Hansen, M.O.L. (2013), "A method for modeling of floating vertical axis wind turbine", Proceedings of the ASME 32nd International conformance on ocean, offshore and Arctic Engineering, Nantes, France, June.
- Yao, Z.L., Chen, C.H. and Chen, Y.M. (2013), "Research on the dynamic response of floating foundation of a tri-floater offshore wind turbine", Appl. Mech. Mater., 257, 852-855.