- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Senior Nursing Students' Perceived Competence of Intensive and Critical Care Nursing
일 대학 간호대학생이 지각한 중환자 간호 역량 조사
- Received : 2015.10.21
- Accepted : 2016.01.23
- Published : 2016.05.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine the degree of intensive and critical care nursing competence in senior nursing students. Methods: The research method for this study comprised a descriptive survey study with a convenience sample of 113 senior nursing students from one university. The instrument entitled ICCN-CS-1, which measures intensive and critical care nursing competence, was translated by the authors following WHO guidelines for translation process. The data were collected using ICCN-CS-1. Results: The mean score of intensive and critical care nursing was above the intermediate level. The competence indices of knowledge, skill and attitude/value were also above the intermediate level, which suggests that their competence is good. For two intensive and critical care nursing domains, the nursing students' mean score of clinical competence is higher than that of professional competence. The competence of intensive and critical care is also influenced by nursing students' satisfaction in their major and clinical practice as well as their confidence in clinical practice. Conclusion: The senior nursing students' competence of intensive and critical care nursing is above the intermediate level. A consideration of the influencing factors of satisfaction of nursing major/ICU practice and confidence of ICU practice is needed in intensive and critical care nursing education.
Intensive care nursing;Critical care nursing;Competency;Students
- Aari, R. L., Ritmala-Castren, M., Leino-Kilpi, H., & Suominen, T. (2004). Biological and physiological knowledge and skills of graduating Finnish nursing students to practice in intensive care. Nurse Education Today, 24(4), 293-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2004.02.003
- Aari, R. L., Tarja, S., & Helena, L. K. (2008). Competence in intensive and critical care nursing: a literature review. Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, 24(2), 78-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iccn.2007.11.006
- Berg, C. A. R. (2005). Factors related to observed attitude change toward learning chemistry among university students. Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 6(1), 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1039/B4RP90001D
- Cato, D. L., & Murray, M. (2010). Use of simulation training in the intensive care unit. Critical Care Nursing Quarterly, 33(1), 44-51. https://doi.org/10.1097/CNQ.0b013e3181c8dfd4
- Chaung, S. K. (2011). Critical thinking disposition, problem solving ability, and clinical competence in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 18(1), 71-78.
- Freiburger, O. A. (2002). Preceptor programs: increasing student self-confidence and competency. Nurse Educator, 27(2), 58-60. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006223-200203000-00004
- Ha, N. S., & Choi, J. (2010). An analysis of nursing competency affecting on job satisfaction and nursing performance among clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(3), 286-294. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.3.286
- Han, A. K., Cho, D. S., & Won, J. S. (2014). A study on learning experiences and self-confidence of core nursing skills in nursing practicum among final year nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 21(2), 162-173. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.2.162
- Han, S. J. (2013). The influence of academic self-efficacy and major satisfaction on career attitude maturity in nursing students. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 25(5), 559-566. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.5.559
- Kelly, S., & Courts, N. (2007). The professional self-concept of new graduate nurses. Nurse Education in Practice, 7(5), 332-337. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2006.10.004
- Kim, K. H, Lee, A. Y., Eudey, L., & Dea, M. W. (2014). Improving clinical competence and confidence of senior nursing students through clinical preceptorship. International Journal of Nursing, 1(2), 183-209.
- Kim, K. S., Kim, J. A., & Park, Y. R. (2011). Educational needs based on analysis of importance, frequency and difficulty of ICU nursing practice for ICU nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 18(3), 373-382.
- Lakanmaa, R. L. (2012). Competence in intensive and critical carre nursing - development of a basic assessment scale for graduating nursing students. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Turku, Finland
- Lakanmaa, R. L., Suominen, T., Perttila, J., Ritmala-Castren, M., Vahlberg, T., & Leino-Kilpi, H. (2014). Graduating nursing students' basic competence in intensive and critical care nursing. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 23(5-6), 645-653. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12244
- Lee, J. R., & Choi, H. R. (2014). Validation of a modified early warning score to predict ICU transfer for patients with severe sepsis or septic shock on general wards. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 44(2), 219-227. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.2.219
- Mattheos, N., Nattestad, A., Falk-Nilsson, E., & Attstrom, R. (2004). The interactive examination: assessing students' self-assessment ability. Medical Education, 38(4), 378-389. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2923.2004.01788.x
- Meltzer, L. S. & Huckabay, L. M. (2004). Critical care nurses' perceptions of futile care and its effect on burnout. American Journal of Critical Care, 13(3), 202-208
- Ministry of Social Affairs and Health. (2009). Promoting Patient Safety Together. Finnish Patient Safety Strategy 2009-2013. Available at: http://www.stm.fi/c/document_library/get_file?folderId=39503&name=DLFE-7801.pdf
- Nagendra, K. M., Radha, S., & Naidu, C. G. (2013). Enhanced industrial employability through new vocational training framework with attitude-skill-knowledge (ASK) model. IUP Journal of Management Research, 12(3), 45-54.
- Park, H. S., Kim, K. N., Kang, E. H., Lee, J. M., & Park, S. M. (2011). Lived adaptation experiences of new ICU nurses who are working in a newly established university hospital. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 18(2), 226-236.
- Park, J. H., & Park, M. H. (2014). Knowledge, attitude, and confidence on patient safety of undergraduate nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 20(1), 5-14. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.5
- Park, Y. I., Kim, J. A., Ko, J. K., Chung, M. S., Bang, K. S., Choe, M. A., et al. (2013). An identification study on core nursing competency. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 19(4), 663-674. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.663
- Santiano, N., & Daffurn, K. (2003). Registered nurses' self-perceived level of competence following completion of a specialist graduate certificate. Australian Critical Care, 16(1), 16-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1036-7314(03)80024-3
- Shin, E. J. (2008). A study related to self-efficacy, satisfaction with practice and fundamentals of nursing practicum. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 15(3), 380-386.
- Shin, K. A., & Cho, B. H. (2012). Professional self-concept, critical thinking disposition and clinical competence in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 19(1), 46-56. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.1.046
- Shin, Y. W., Lee, H. J., & Lim, Y. J. (2010). Predictors of the clinical competence in new graduate nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(1), 37-47. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.1.37
- Toth, J. C. (2007). Development of the basic knowledge assessment tool (BKAT) for the neonatal intensive care unit: the NICU-BKAT3, its uses, and effect on staff nurses. The Journal of Perinatal & Neonatal Nursing, 21(4), 342-348. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.JPN.0000299792.31914.5a
- Yang, J. J. (2011). Relationships among critical care competence, knowledge related critical care, and satisfaction with clinical practice of nursing students at a college. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 11(2), 998-1006. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.12.998
- Yang, Y. K. (2010). Intensive care unit nurse's knowledge and nursing performance on intensive care unit syndrome. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(2), 240-249. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.3.240
- World Health Organization (n.d.). Process of translation and adaptation of instruments. Retrieved October 16, 2015, from http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/research_tools/translation/en/