- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Positive Affectivity, Self-Leadership, and Satisfaction of Clinical Practice among Nursing Students
간호 대학생의 긍정적 정서, 셀프리더십 및 임상실습 만족도간의 관계
Lee, Soon Neum;Kim, Jung A
- Received : 2016.01.27
- Accepted : 2016.03.05
- Published : 2016.05.31
Purpose: This study aimed to identify the relationship between positive affectivity, self-leadership, and satisfaction of clinical practice among nursing students. Methods: This study was a descriptive correlational study. A total of 205 participants were obtained by convenience sampling from third- and fourth-year nursing students in three nursing schools. The data were collected by using a self-reporting questionnaire. Collected data were analyzed with SPSS Win 18.0. Results: Mean scores were 3.40 (5-point scale) for positive affectivity, 3.68 (5-point scale) for self-leadership, and 3.30 (5-point scale) for satisfaction of nursing clinical practice. There was a significant positive correlation of nursing students among positive affectivity (r=.43, p<.001), self-leadership (r=.41, p<.001), and satisfaction of clinical practice. The predictors were levels of satisfaction about nursing major, grade, positive affectivity, and rehearsal, which accounted for 34% of the variance in satisfaction with clinical practice nursing students. Conclusion: It is necessary to enhance the levels of satisfaction about nursing major, the level of positive affectivity, and self-leadership in nursing students. The results of this study delineate the need for the development and application of diverse educational programs that can increase positive affectivity and self-leadership for clinical practice.
Positive affectivity;Self-leadership;Clinical practice;Satisfaction
- Cho, K. J., & Kang, H. S. (1984). Study on self-concept and satisfaction of clinical practice. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 14(2), 63-74.
- D'Souza, M. S., Karkada, S. N., Parahoo, K., & Venkatesaperumal, R. (2015). Perception of and satisfaction with the clinical learning environment among nursing students. Nurse Education Today, 35(6), 833-840. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.02.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.02.005
- Fredrickson, B. L. (2001). The role of positive emotions in positive Psychology: the broaden-and-build theory of positive emotions. The American Psychologist, 56(3), 218-226. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.56.3.218
- Han, S. H., & Yu, H. S. (2012). College women's self-leadership, stress of clinical practice and self disclosure in an area. The Journal of Korean Academic Society Nursing Education, 8(1), 131-140. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.131
- Houghton, J. D., Wu. J., Godwin, J. L., Neck, C. P., & Manz, C. C. (2012). Effective stress management: A model of emotional intelligence, self-leadership, and student stress coping. Journal of Management Education, 36(2), 220-238. https://doi.org/10.1177/1052562911430205
- Jo, K. Y., & Park, H. S. (2011). Predictors of subjective happiness for nursing students. Journal of The Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 12(1), 160-169. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.1.160
- Jo, E. Y., & Lim, J. H. (2014). The effects of positive and negative emotions on the psychological well-being of college students: mediation by cognitive flexibility. Studies on Korean Youth, 25(4), 185-210. http://dx.doi.org/10.14816/sky.2014.11.75.185 https://doi.org/10.14816/sky.2014.25.4.185
- Kim, H. S. (2002). The relationship of self-leadership and job satisfaction in middle school teachers. Unpublished master's thesis, Soongsil University, Seoul.
- Kim, H. J. (2009). The influence of positive emotion, flow and meaning in life of university students' upon their happiness. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Kim, N. H., & Kim, K. W. (2011). Self-efficacy, self-concept of professional nursing, and clinical practice satisfaction to clinical practice education in nursins students. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 15(4), 41-51.
- Kim, J. Y., Song, K. C., Jung, B. G., & Park, S. E. (2014). Organizational behavior (3rd ed.). Seoul: Kyungmoon.
- Kim, K. E., & Lee, B. Y. (2014). The relationship between satisfaction with clinical performance ability for nursing students. The Journal of Korea Contents Association, 14(10), 885-896. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2014.14.10.885 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.10.885
- Ko, J. O., Park, S. K., & Lee, M. H. (2013). Factors affecting burnout among clinical nurses according to positive psychological capital. The Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 19(2), 304-314. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.2.304 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.2.304
- Korean Nurse Association(2016, February). Nursing definition. Retrieved February 28, 2016, from Korean Nurse Association Web site: http://www.koreannurse.or.kr
- Lee, J. S. (1994). Interactive effect of extravasion and neuroticism on subjective well-being. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul.
- Lee, S. E. (2001). A study on satisfaction and experience of clinical practice & direction for clinical education: focused on maternity nursing practice. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 7(2), 333-348.
- Lee, S. H., Kim, S. Y., & Kim, J. A. (2004). Nursing students' image of nurse and satisfaction with clinical practice. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 10(2), 219-231.
- Lee, C. Y., White, B., & Hong, Y. M. (2009). Comparison of the clinical practice of nursing students in Korea and the USA. Nursing and Health Sciences, 11(1), 10-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2008.00413.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2008.00413.x
- Lee, T. H., & Ko, Y. K. (2010). Effects of self-efficacy, affectivity and collective efficacy on nursing performance of hospital nurses. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 66(4), 839-848. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.05244.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.05244.x
- Lee, J. Y., & Cho, M. H. (2012). Correlations between self-leadership, critical thinking disposition and problem solving process in a diploma nursing students. Journal of College Education, 13(30), 241-253.
- Lee, Y. S., Park, S. H., & Kim, J. K. (2014). Nursing students' self-leadership, self-efficacy, interpersonal relation, college life satisfaction. The Journal of Korea Contents Association, 14(6), 229-240. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2014.14.06.229 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.06.229
- Lofmark, A., Thorkildsen, K., Raholm, M. B., & Natvig, G. K. (2012). Nursing students' satisfaction with supervision from preceptors and teachers during clinical practice. Nursing Education in Practice, 2(3), 164-169. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2011.12.005
- Manz, C. C. (1983). The art of self-leadership, strategies for personal effectiveness in your life and work. New Jersey: Prentice Hall Inc.
- Manz. C. C. (2015). Taking the self leadership high road: smooth surface or potholes ahead?. The Academy of Management Perspectives, 29(1), 132-151. https://doi.org/10.5465/amp.2013.0060
- Sung, M. H. (2012). Factors influencing the professional self-concept among nursing students. Journal of East-West Nursing Research, 18(1), 18-24.
- Watson, D., Clark, L. A., & Tellegen, A. (1988). Development and validation of brief measures of positive and negative affect: the panas scale. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 54(6), 1063-1070. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1993
- Won, H. J., & Cho, S. H. (2013). A review of research on self-leadership in nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 19(3), 382-393. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.3.382 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.3.382
- Won, H. J. (2015). Effects of self-leadership and stress coping on college life adjustment in nursing students. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 9(1), 123-131. http://dx.doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2015.9.1.123 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2015.9.1.123
- Yang, N. Y., & Moon, S. Y. (2011). Relationship of self-leadership, stress and satisfaction in clinical practice of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 17(2), 216-225. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.216
- The Metacognition, Self-efficacy and Self-leadership among Nursing Students vol.17, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.9.619
- The Influence of Leadership Life Skills and Achievement Motivation on Self-leadership in Nursing Students vol.23, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.5.494