- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Influencing Factors on Externalized and Internalized Problem Behaviors among Adolescents: Focused on First Grade High School Students
청소년의 외재화 및 내재화 문제행동에 영향을 미치는 요인: 고등학교 1학년 학생을 중심으로
- Received : 2015.11.20
- Accepted : 2016.03.14
- Published : 2016.05.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the influencing factors on externalized and internalized problem behaviors among high school students. Methods: The subjects for this study were 707 students in two high schools in K province. The data were collected during the period from October to November, 2014 by use of questionnaires. The instruments used were the Korean Youth Self-report, Daily Hassles Questionnaire, State-Trait Anger Expression Inventory, and Ego Resiliency Scale. The data were analyzed using SPSS. Results: Significant predictors to explain externalized problem behaviors comprised anger-out, anger-in, anger-control, relation with parents, daily stress, and religion. It was found that these factors explained 46% of externalized problem behavior. Ego resiliency, anger-in, daily stress, gender, relation with parent, and anger-out were significant predictors to explain internalized problem behaviors. It was found that these factors explained 45% of internalized problem behaviors. Conclusion: This study suggests that the influencing factors on problem behaviors differ from externalized and internalized problem behaviors. So these findings will provide the basic data to develop a program that is differentiated by problem behavior type.
Problem behavior;Adolescent;Life stress;Anger
- Armstead, C. A. & Clark, R. (2002). Assessment of self-reported anger expression in pre-early-adolescent African Americans:Psychometric considerations. Journal of Adolescence, 25, 365-371. http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/jado.2002.0481 https://doi.org/10.1006/jado.2002.0481
- Block, J. H. & Block, J. (1980). The role of ego-control and ego-resiliency in the organization of behavior. In W. A. Colins(Ed). Development of cognition and effect social relations; The Minnesota Symposia on Child Psychology, 13, 39-101. Hillsdale, NJ; Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Chon, K. K., Hahn, D. W., Lee, C. H., & Spielberger, C. (1997). Development of STAXI-K. Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 2(1), 60-78.
- Eftekhari, A., Turner, A. P., & Larimer, M. E. (2004). Anger expression, coping, and substance use in adolescent offenders. Addictive Behaviors, 29(5), 1001-1008. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2004.02.050 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2004.02.050
- Fleming, C. B., Catalano, R. F., Haggerty, K. P., & Abbott, R. D. (2010). Relationships between level and change in family, school, and peer factors during two periods of adolescence and problem behavior at age 19. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 39, 670-682. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10964-010-9526-5 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10964-010-9526-5
- Han, H. A. & Doh, H. S. (2008). The effects of family risk factors, ego-resilience and quality of peer relationships on adolescent problem behaviors. Korean Journal of Child Studies, 29(1), 87-101.
- Ihm, M. O., Song, M. K., & Kim, C. S. (2012). A mediating model of social support between anger and psychological maladaptation of adolescents. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 19(4), 247-270.
- Jang, G. M. (2003). The relations of ego-resiliency, stress coping style, and psychological growth environment. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 10(4), 143-161.
- Joung, D. H. (2014). The effects of early maladaptive schemas and problem-solving ability on adolescents' problem behaviors. Unpublished master's thesis, Daegu University, Daegu.
- Kang, M. J. (2013). Relationship between moral judgment, parenting, and externalizing problems: Comparing youths in shelter versus home. Korean Journal of Youth Research, 20(3), 1-30.
- Kim, H. S. (2009). Verification of the relationship between adolescent stress, self-efficacy, depression, and suicidal ideation. Studies on Korean Youth, 20(1), 203-225.
- Kim, J. H. (2012). The effects of youth volunteering on community consciousness and life satisfaction mediated by self-esteem and ego-resilience. Journal of Adolescent Welfare, 14(1), 41-62.
- Kim, S. K. (2008). The effects of daily stress on psychosocial adjustment of Korean high school students: Moderating effects of protective factors. Korean Journal of Youth Research, 15(1), 381-406.
- Kim, S. Y. (2013). A structural analysis of daily stress, self-esteem, emotion regulation to psycho-social adjustment for the high-school students: multiple-group analysis. Adolescent Culture Forum, 35, 92-113.
- Kim, Y. H. (2011). The effect of depression and suicide prevention program on emotional-behavioral problems and problem-solving capability in high school students. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju.
- Kim, J. U. & Choi, M. S. (2014). Analysis of the structural relationship among family strength, social support, ego-resilience, hope, peer relational skills and problem behavior of adolescents. The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, 22(1), 201-226.
- Kim, H. J. & Lee, J. Y. (2011). The relationship between attachment and anger expression on adolescents: Mediating effects of internalized shame. Korean Journal of Counseling, 12(3), 965-981. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.12.3.201106.965
- Kim, S. J., Lee, C. S., Kweon, Y. R., Oh, M. R., & Kim, B. Y. (2009). Test of validity and reliability of the adolescent mental problem questionnaire for Korean high school students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 39(5), 700-708. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.5.700
- Kim, S. L. & Yoo, J. (2014). The effects of ego-resilience on the trajectories of school adaptation among adolescents in poverty. Journal of School Social Work, 29, 153-175.
- Nam, Y. O. & Kim, J. N. (2010). A study on psychosocial affecting adolescent problem behavior. Journal of Adolescent Welfare, 12(2), 123-141.
- Park, Y. H., Hyun, H. J., Yu, S. J., & Byen, D. H. (2011). Factors related problem behaviors in high school girls. Journal of Korean Academy Community Health Nursing, 22(3), 315-324. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.3.315
- Rowlison, R. & Felner, R. (1988). Major life event, hassles, and adaptation in adolescence: Confounding in the conceptualization and measurement of life stress and adjustment revisited. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 55(3), 432-444. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2062
- Self-Brown, S., LeBlanc, M., & Kelly, M. (2004). Effects of violence exposure and daily stressors on psychological outcomes in Urban adolescents. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 17(6), 519-527. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10960-004-5801-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10960-004-5801-0
- Silk, J. S., Steinberg, L., & Morris, A. S. (2003). Adolescents' emotion regulation in daily life: Links to depressive symptoms and problem behavior. Child Development, 74, 1869-1880. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1467-8624.2003.00643.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1467-8624.2003.00643.x
- Spielberger, C. D., Johnson, E. H., Russel, S. F., Crane, R. J., Jacobs, G. A., & Worden T. J. (1985). The experience and expression of anger: Construction and validation of an anger expression scale. In Chesney M. A., & Rosenman R. (Eds.), Anger and hostility in cardiovascular and behavioral disorder(pp5-30). New York: Hemisphere.
- Sohn, S., Noh, K. Huh, M., Jung, H., Lee, S., & Kim, S. (2001). A study of adolescent problem behaviors and parenting behaviors. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 40(4), 605-615.
- Stevens, G. W., Vollebergh, W. A., Pels, T. V., & Crijnen, A. A. (2005). Predicting externalizing problems in Moroccan immigrant adolescents in the Netherlands. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 40, 571-579. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s000127-005-0926-x. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-005-0926-x
- Yoon, J. I. (2014). Impact of anger representation and social support on psychological maladjustment in the Youth. Unpublished master's thesis, Kookmin University, Seoul.