- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Nursing Students' Knowledge, Attitudes and Behavior towards the Elderly
간호대학생의 노인에 대한 지식, 태도 및 행동에 대한 연구
Kim, Soo Ok;Oh, Hyo Soon;Wang, Mee Suk
- Received : 2015.10.19
- Accepted : 2016.04.01
- Published : 2016.05.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to determine the relationship between nursing students' level of knowledge of and attitude toward the elderly and their behavior towards the elderly. Methods: For this study, 223 nursing students participated. The data was analyzed with PASW statistics program version 18.0 using descriptive statistics, a t-test, one-way ANOVA, Pearson's Correlation coefficient and multiple regression analysis. Results: The findings of the study displayed a score of 14.5 out of 25 for the level of knowledge of the elderly, a score of 3.9 out of 7 on the attitude toward the elderly, and 1.3 points on a 4-point scale on behavior towards the elderly. There was a positive correlation (r=.410, p<.001) between attitude and behavior towards the elderly, thus confirming that attitude towards the elderly influences behavior towards them. Conclusion: The most influential variable on the behavior towards the elderly emerged to be attitude. Thus, although knowledge and attitude cannot be neglected in manifesting positive behaviors in nursing students when they care for the elderly, knowledge training and elderly nursing practical sessions need to take place in order to strengthen attitude, which displayed a positive correlation with behavior.
- Choi, K. A. (2006). Nursing students' knowledge, attitudes and behavior toward the elderly. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womens University, Seoul.
- Choi, S. A., Cheong, J. H., Cho, S. J., & Jin, S. M. (2009). The effects of voluntary activities attitude and contentment of university students toward the elderly on awareness of supporting, and the mediating effects of attitude toward the elderly. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 46, 239-261.
- Choi, S. S. (2007). A study on dental hygiene students knowledge, attitude and behavior towards the elderly in Gyeong-Ju. Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, 7(2), 59-64.
- Courtney, M., Tong, S., & Walsh, A. (2000). Acute-care nurses' attitudes towards older patients: A literature review. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 6, 62-69. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-172x.2000.00192.x
- Erdemir, F., Kav, S., Citak, E. A., Hanoglu, Z., & Karahan, A. (2011). A Turkish version of Kogan's attitude toward older people (KAOP) scale: Reliability and validity assessment. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 52, 62-e165.
- Geon, S. N., & Shin, H. G. (2011), Effective of ageism experience of the elderly on depression mediated by loneliness. The Journal of Korea Gerontological Society, 31(4), 925-938.
- Han, J. R. (2004). Development of the scale for attitudes toward age groups. The Journal of Korea Gerontological Society, 24(3), 197-210.
- Hawkins, M. J. (1996). College students' attitudes toward elderly persons. Educational Gerontology, 22(3), 271-279. https://doi.org/10.1080/0360127960220305
- Helmuth, A. M., Lookiland, S., Anson, K., & McCabe, B. W. (1995). Nurses' attitudes towards older persons on their use of physical restrains. Orthopedic Nursing, 14, 43-51.
- Kim, M. H. (2011). Nursing students' knowledge, attitude and behavior toward elderly. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 15(4), 113-126.
- Kim, M. H. (2007). Knowledge and attitude toward the elderly of the home helpers. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 37, 203-224.
- Kim, S. Y., Yang, K. M., Oh, H. Y., & Kim, J. S. (2002). Nursing and social welfare students' knowledge and attitudes toward the elderly. The Journal of Korean Geriatrics Society, 22(3), 21-36.
- Kim, C. G., Kong, E. H., Kim, S. S., Kim, S. J., Park, Y. H., et al. (2013). Gerontological nursing education in BSN programs in South Korea: present status and direction for improvement in the future. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing Society, 15(3), 185-191.
- Ko, Y. H. (2002). A comparative study on old people's and university students' attitude toward the aged. Unpublished master's thesis, Hallim University, Seoul.
- Kwon, M. S., Noh, G. Y., & Jang, J. H. (2013). University students' images, knowledge, and stereotypes plus perceptions about the elderly. Korean Society of Public Health Nursing, 27(3), 633-646. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.3.633
- Kucukguclu, O., Mert, H., & Ak1nar, B. (2011). Reliability and validity of Turkish version of attitudes toward old people scale. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 20, 3196-3203. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2011.03764.x
- Lee, E. H. (2012). The analysis of nurses' knowledge, attitude, experience and care performance for the elderly. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Lim, Y. S., & Kim, J. S., & Kim, K. S. (2002). Nurses' knowledge and attitudes toward the elderly. The Journal of Korean Geriatrics Society, 22(1), 31-46.
- Palmore, E. B. (1977). Facts on aging A short quiz. The Gerontologist, 17(4), 315-320. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/17.4.315
- Palmore, E. B. (1998). The facts on aging quiz 2nd ed. New York: Springer Pul Co.
- Park, K. R., & Yi, Y. S. (2002). A study on perception of successful aging in later life. The Journal of Korean Geriatrics Society, 22(3), 53-66.
- Park, H. U., & Cho, B. H. (2010). Nurses' knowledge and attitude toward the elderly in care facilities for old people. Journal of Korean Academy Society Home Care Nursing, 17(1), 36-44.
- Sanders, G. F., Montgomery, J. E., Pittman, J. F., & Balkwell, C. (1984). Youth's attitudes toward elderly. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 3(1), 59-70. https://doi.org/10.1177/073346488400300107
- Statistics Korea. (2012). The aged statistic.
- Song, E. J. (2004). Nurses and nursing students' knowledge and attitudes toward the elderly. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Wilkes, L., LeMiere, J., & Walker, E. (1998). Nurses in acute care setting: attitudes to and knowledge of the older people. Geriaction, 16, 9-16.
- Yeom, M. J. (2007). A study on knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of nurses about the aged. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyung Hee University, Seoul.
- Validity and Reliability of Korean Version of Older Patients in Acute Care Survey vol.11, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2017.11.3.091