- Volume 22 Issue 2
Purpose: This study explored factors that influence happiness in nursing students. Methods: The participants were 182 nursing students at a university in B city. Data were collected with a structured questionnaire. Data were analyzed using descriptive analysis, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation coefficients, and multiple regression with the SPSS Win 22.0. Results: Happiness in nursing students correlated significantly with resilience (r=.79, p<.001) and self-differentiation (r=.38, p<.001). Resilience, subjective health status, and selection motivation to study nursing explained 69.1% of the variance in happiness. Conclusion: The study shows resilience, subjective health status, and selection motivation to study nursing are important factors for happiness in nursing students. These findings can be utilized to develop strategies for increasing nursing students' happiness.
- Bailey, L., & Challen, A. (2012). The UK penn resilience programme: a summary of research and implementation. Psychology of Educational Review, 36(2), 32-39.
- Beauvais A. M., Stewart J. G., Denisco, S., & Beauvais, J. E. (2014). Factors related to academic success among nursing students: a descriptive correlational research study. Nurse Education Today, 34(6), 918-923. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2013.12.005
- Bowen, M. (1976). Therapy in the practice of psychotherapy. New York; Garner Press.
- Choi, Y. W., & Lee, S. J. (2004). The Influence of individual differences in emotional awareness on mental health of college students. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 9(4), 887-901.
- Chung, M. J., Chung, H. J., Lee, S. H., & Jeon, Y. J. (2011). Foundations of family therapy. Seoul; Hakjisa.
- Hills, P., & Argyle, M. (2002). The Oxford Happiness Questionnaire: a compact scale for the measurement of psychological well-being. Personality and Individual Differences, 33, 1073-1082. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(01)00213-6
- Hoggard, L. (2005). How to be happy. London: B.B.C. Books.
- Je, S. B. (1989). The relationship between differentiation of self and dysfunctional behavior. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Pusan, Busan.
- Jeon, M. K., & Kim, M. S. (2013). A study on relationships among parent-adolescent communication, self differentiation, self esteem, life stress in nursing department students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 11(4), 293-302.
- Jeon, Y. J., & Kang, K. H. (2008). The effects of self-differentiation, self-esteem and ego-resilience of undergraduate students on job-seeking stress. Korean Living Science Association Symposium (pp. 201-202). Korean association of human ecology press.
- Jo, G. Y., & Park, H. S. (2011). Predictors of subjective happiness for nursing students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 12(1), 160-169. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.1.160
- Kim, C. Y. (2006). Self-differentiation, stress level and stress strategies of nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 12(2), 238-247.
- Kim, D. J., & Lee, J. S. (2014). Influence of ego-resilience and self-efficacy on satisfaction in major of nursing student. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 20(2), 244-254. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.244
- Kim, G. H., & Kim, K. H. (2012). Factors related to happiness in first year women nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, 21(2), 149-157. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2012.21.2.149
- Kim, J. K. (2014). A review study on nursing student's stress for improvement of nursing education. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 20(1), 47-59. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.47
- Kim, K. R. (2013). Influence of self-esteem, flow and depression of the psychiatric nurses' upon their happiness. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Kim, Y. K. (2009). Development of the group counseling program to enhance happiness through reframing family of origin emotional health. Korean Journal of Christian Counseling, 11, 35-60.
- Koo, J. S., & Suh, E. K. (2015). Why Korean university student are less happy than U. S. counterparts? The role of relative extrinsic value orientation, social support and social comparison. The Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 29(4), 63-83.
- Lee, H. N., Jeong, H. J., Lee, K. H., & Lee, H. J. (2006). The relationship among stress perception, stress coping, ego-resilience and happiness of university students. The Korean Journal of Counseling, 7(3), 701-713.
- Lee, M. R., & Nam, M. R. (2014). Interpersonal relationship and the influencing factors in nursing students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(6), 509-517.
- Lee, S. J., & An, S. H. (2005). What is happiness? A review of the studies on happiness. Research Psychology, 4, 123-143.
- Lim, J. H. (2014). Construction of a structural model about nursing students' academic motivation, ego-resilience, and satisfaction in major. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 16(4), 2273-2284.
- Nam, M. H., & Lee, M. R. (2014). Factors influencing subjective happiness index of health behavior, self esteem and major satisfaction by nursing students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 12(10), 363-374.
- Park, H. S., & Kwon, B. S. (2006). Satisfaction with life and it's predictors of college students. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, 15(1), 48-52.
- Park, W. J. (2009). The influence of ego-resilience on critical thinking dispositions, leaming styles, and academic adjustment in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, 18(3), 240-250.
- Seligman, M. E. P. (2002). Authentic happiness. NY: New York Free Press.
- Song, Y. S. (2004). Determinants of resilience of the physically disabled at home. Unpublished master's thesis, Kosin University, Busan.
- Wagnild, G. M., & Young, H. M. (1993). Development of psychometric evaluation of the resilience scale. Journal of Nursing Measurement, 1(2), 165-178.
- Zhao, F., Guo, Y., Suhonen, R., & Leino-Kilpi, H. (2016). Subjective well-being and its association with peer caring and resilience among nursing vs medical students: a questionnaire study. Nurse Education Today, 37, 108-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.11.019
- Hwang, S. Y. (2014). A study of the relationships among pre-service early childhood teachers' self-differentiation, family of origin, ego-resiliency and subjective well-being. The Korean Society for Early Childhood Teacher Education, 18(5), 503-525.
- The Effects of Nursing Professionalism and Gratitude Disposition on the Happiness in Senior Nursing Students vol.30, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2016.30.3.434
- A Structure Model of Clinical Nurses’ Silence on Patient Safety vol.25, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2018.25.1.68
- Effects of Leadership, Critical Thinking Disposition, Professional Self-conception of Nurse on Happiness in Nursing Students vol.25, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2018.25.1.1
Supported by : 부산가톨릭대학교