- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Curriculum of Global Health Education
글로벌 건강교육 교과과정에 관한 연구
- Received : 2016.03.11
- Accepted : 2016.05.11
- Published : 2016.05.31
Purpose: This study aimed to understand current global health education and suggest its future direction for Korean undergraduate nursing students. Methods: After reviewing literature to identify key concepts applicable to global health nursing curricula, the authors analyzed global health curricula from 98 nursing colleges by using a framework that was developed for this study. Results: Among the 201 nursing colleges, 98 (48.8%) schools offered one or more global health-related courses. The titles of these courses were divided into two categories: Multiculturalism and international nursing. Multicultural courses were offered mainly for freshmen (40.5%) or sophomore students (40.5%), whereas international nursing courses were offered mainly for senior students (35.9%). These courses trained nursing students to be culturally competent in providing nursing care for immigrants or foreign travelers living in South Korea. Conclusions: It is evident that interest in global health education is growing in South Korea. However, the scope and content of global health education needs to be broadened beyond multiculturalism and international nursing so that it can prepare nursing students to promote global health equity, reduce global health disparities, and work competently with globally-focused organizations.
Global health;Healthcare disparities;Nursing education;Transcultural nursing
- Bozorgmehr, K., Saint, V. A., & Tinnemann, P. (2011). The global health education framework: a conceptual guide for monitoring, evaluation and practice. Globalization and Health, 7, 8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1744-8603-7-8 https://doi.org/10.1186/1744-8603-7-8
- Bryant, J. H., & Velji, A. (2011). Global health and the role of universities in the twenty-first century. Infectious Disease Clinics of North America, 25(2), 311-321. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.idc.2011.02.012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idc.2011.02.012
- Bussell, S. A., Kihlberg, C. J., Foderingham, N. M., Dunlap, J. A., & Aliyu, M. H. (2015). Global health education in general preventive medicine residencies. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 48(5), 593-598. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2014.12.013 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2014.12.013
- Callister, L. C. (2012). Issues in global nursing education. MCN-The American Journal of Maternal-Child Nursing, 37(6), 404-404. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/NMC.0b013e318264e2e3 https://doi.org/10.1097/NMC.0b013e318267213a
- Center for global health equity (CGHE). (2013). Global health certificate. Center for global health equity newsletter. Retrieved October 30, 2015, from https://www4.uwm.edu/nursing/about/centers-institutes/upload/CGHE-Newsletter-Summer-2013.pdf
- Center for Research Ethic Information (CREI). (2015). Copyright. Retrieved October 30, 2015, from http://www.cre.or.kr/
- Choi, K. S., Morgan, S., Thongpriwan, V., Lee, S. Y., & Jun, M. H. (2014). A Proposed teaching model to improve cultural competency care for undergraduate Korean nursing students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 20(3), 424. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.3.424 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.3.424
- Eichbaum, Q. (2015). The Problem with competencies in global health education. Academic Medicine, 90(4), 414-417. http://dx.doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000000665 https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000000665
- Finch, T. H., Chae, S. R., Shafaee, M. N., Siegel, K. R., Ali, M. K., Tomei, R., et al. (2011). Role of students in global health delivery. Mount Sinai Journal of Medicine, 78(3), 373. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/msj.20254 https://doi.org/10.1002/msj.20254
- Harmer, A., Lee, K., & Petty, N. (2015). Global health education in the United Kingdom: a review of university undergraduate and postgraduate programs and courses. Public Health, 129(6), 797-809. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2014.12.015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2014.12.015
- Ju, M. J. (2015). 'Universal health coverage' and the right to health: The case of humanitarian status holders in Korea. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Woman's University, Seoul.
- American Medical Student Association (AMSA). (2015). Global health equity. Retrieved October 30, 2015, from http://www.amsa.org/about/mission-aspirations/global-health-equity/
- Baumann, S., Wright, S. G., & Settecase-Wu, C. (2014). A Science of unitary human beings perspective of global health nursing. Nursing Science Quarterly, 27(4), 324-328. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0894318414546412 https://doi.org/10.1177/0894318414546412
- Kim, S. J., & Kim, B. R. (2012). Understanding of global health care and application for nursing practice. Seoul, South Korea: Fornurse.
- KOFIH. (2013). KOFIH News: Information for international healthcare. Retrieved October 30, 2015, from http://www.kofih.org
- Koplan, J. P., Bond, T. C., Merson, M. H., Reddy, K. S., Rodriguez, M. H., Sewankambo, N. K., et al. (2009). Towards a common definition of global health. Lancet, 373(9679), 1993. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)60332-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)60332-9
- Kwak, H. K. (2006). A study on WHO and the millennium development goals: From the global governance approach. Unpublished master's thesis, Sungkyunkwan University, Seoul.
- MacNeil, J., & Ryan, M. (2013). Enacting global health in the nursing classroom. Nurse Education Today, 33(11), 1279-1281. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2013.01.025 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2013.01.025
- National Institute of Korean Language (NIKL). (2015). Korean dictionary. Retrieved October 30, 2015, from http://www.korean.go.kr/
- Parcells, C., & Baernholdt, M. (2014). Developing a global curriculum in a school of nursing. The Journal of Nursing Education, 53(12), 692. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20141118-13
- Rosenberg, J. D., Wachter, K. J., Campbell, A. C., Rhatigan, J. J., & Weintraub, R. L. (2015). Addressing complexities in global health and inequities in global health education. American Journal of Public Health, 105(8), e1. http://dx.doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302759 https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302759
- Skolnik, R. L. (2012). Global health 101. (2nd ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Statics Korea. (2015). Number of registered foreigners by administrative district, sex and nationality/region. Retrieved April 27, 2016, from http://kosis.kr/eng/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ETITLE&parentId=L#SubCont
- Wagner, L., & Christensen, S. (2015). Establishment of a short-term global health nursing education experience: Impact on students' ways of knowing. Journal of Nursing Education, 54(5), 295-299. http://dx.doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20150417-09 https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20150417-09
- Watterson, R., Matthews, D., Bach, P., Kherani, I., Halpine, M., & Meili, R. (2015). Building a framework for global health learning: An analysis of global health concentrations in Canadian medical schools. Academic Medicine, 90(4), 500. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000000648 https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000000648
- WHO. (1978). Primary health care: Report of the international conference on primary health care. Retrieved October 30, 2015, from http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/9241800011.pdf
- WHO. (2013). Arguing for universal health coverage. Geneva: WHO.
- WHO. (2015). Sustainable development goals and GER. Retrieved October 30, 2015, from http://www.who.int/gender-equity-rights/news/sdgs-and-ger/en/
- Wilson, L., Harper, D. C., Tami-Maury, I., Zarate, R., Salas, S., Farley, J., et al. (2012). Global health competencies for nurses in the Americas. Journal of Professional Nursing, 28(4), 213-222. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2011.11.021 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2011.11.021
- Yan, L., Ying, Z., Zhaolan, L., & Jianli, W. (2015). Gaps in studies of global health education: an empirical literature review. Global Health Action, 8(0), 1. http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/gha.v8.25709 https://doi.org/10.3402/gha.v8.25709
- A Literature Review of the Studies on Cultural Competency of Nurses and Nursing Students in Korea vol.29, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2018.29.4.450
Supported by : 한국연구재단