- Volume 59 Issue 2
Seismic performance evaluation of shear wall is essential as it is the major lateral load resisting member of a structure. The ultimate load and ultimate drift of the shear wall are the two most important parameters which need to be assessed experimentally and verified analytically. This paper comprises the results of monotonic tests, quasi-static cyclic tests and shake-table tests carried out on a midrise shear wall. The shear wall considered for the study is 1:5 scaled model of the shear wall of the internal structure of a reactor building. The analytical simulation of these tests is carried out using micro and macro modeling of the shear wall. This paper mainly consists of modification in the hysteretic macro model, developed for RC structural walls by Lestuzzi and Badoux in 2003. This modification is made by considering the stiffness degradation effect observed from the tests carried out and this modified model is then used for nonlinear dynamic analysis of the shear wall. The outcome of the paper gives the variation of the capacity, the failure patterns and the performance levels of the shear walls in all three types of tests. The change in the stiffness and the damping of the wall due to increased damage and cracking when subjected to seismic excitation is also highlighted in the paper.
shear walls;shake table tests;quasi-static cyclic tests;analysis;damping
- ACI-318 RM-89 (2011), Building code requirements for reinforced concrete, American Concrete Institute-318.
- Al-Sulaimani, G.J. and Roessett, J.M. (1985), "Design spectra for degrading system", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 111(12), 2611-2623. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1985)111:12(2611)
- Carpinteri, A., Corrado, M., Lacidogna, G. and Cammarano, S. (2012), "Lateral load effects on tall shear wall structures of different height", Struct. Eng. Mech., 41(3), 313-337. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.41.3.313
- Carpinteri, A., Lacidogna, G. and Cammarano, S. (2014), "Conceptual design of tall and unconventionally shaped structures: a handy analytical method", Adv. Struct. Eng., 17, 767-783. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43126.96.36.1997
- Carpinteri, A., Lacidogna, G. Puzzi, S. (2010), "A global approach for three-dimensional analysis of tall buildings", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 19, 518-536.
- Carrillo, J. and Alcocer, S.M. (2012), "Seismic performance of concrete walls for housing subjected to shaking table excitations", Eng. Struct., 41, 98-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.03.025
- Carrillo, J., Lizarazo, J.M. and Bonett, R. (2015), "Effect of lightweight and low-strength concrete on seismic performance of thin lightly-reinforced shear walls", Eng. Struct., 93, 61-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.03.022
- Chopra, A.K. (2000), Dynamics of Structures: Theory and Application to Earthquake Engineering, Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- Coronelli, D., Martinelli, L., Martinelli, P. and Mulas, M.G. (2006), "Micro-Meso-Macro scale modelling and analysis of the camus I", First European Conference on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Paper No. 1478.
- Duffey, T.A., Goldman, A. and Farrar, C.R. (1993), "Shear wall ultimate drift limits", USNRC, NUREG/CR-610.
- El-Azizy, O.A., Shedid, M.T., El-Dakhakhni, W.W. and Drysdale, R.G. (2015), "Experimental evaluation of the seismic performance of reinforced concrete structural walls with different end configurations", Eng. Struct., 101, 246-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.06.042
- FEMA-356 (2000), Prestandard and Commentary for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings.
- Ghorbanirenan, I., Tremblay, R., Leger, P. and Martin, L. (2012), "Shake table testing of slender RC shear walls subjected to Eastern North America seismic ground motions", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 138, 1515-1529. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000581
- IS 13920,(1993) Indian Standard, Ductile detailing of reinforced Concrete structures subjected to seismic forces-code of practice, India
- IS 456, (2000) Indian Standard, Plain and reinforced concrete-code of practice, Fourth Revision., India
- Kassem, W. (2015), "Shear strength of squat walls: a strut-and-tie model and closed-form design formula", Eng. Struct., 84, 430-438. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.11.027
- Kent, D.C. and Park, R. (1971), "Flexural mechanics with confined concrete", J. Struct. Div., ASCE, 97(7), 1969-1990.
- Kupfer, H., Hilsdorf, H.K. and Rusch, H. (1969), "Behavior of concrete under biaxial stresses", ACI J., 66, 656-666.
- Lestuzzi, P. and Badoux, M. (2003), "The gamma-model: a simple hysteretic model for reinforced concrete", Proceedings of the Fib-Symposium, Concrete Structures in Seismic Regions, Athens, Greece.
- Matsui, T., Kabeyasawa, T., Koto, A., Kuramoto, T. and Nagashima, I. (2004), "Shaking table test and analysis of reinforced concrete walls", 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Canada, Paper No. 419.
- Ozcebe, G. and Saatcioglu, M. (1989), "Hysteretic shear model for reinforced concrete members", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 115(1), 132-148. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1989)115:1(132)
- Paulay, T., Priestley, M.J.N. and Synge, A.J. (1982), "Ductility in earthquake resisting squat shear walls", ACI J. Proceed., 79(4) 257-269.
- Pilakoutas, K. and Elnashai, A.S. (1995), "Cyclic behaviour of RC cantilever walls, Part I: experimental results", ACI Struct. J., 92(3), 271-281.
- Priestley, M.J.N. and Grant, D.N. (2005), "Viscous damping for analysis and design", J. Earthq. Eng., 9(spec02), 229-255. https://doi.org/10.1142/S1363246905002365
- Saiidi, M. and Sozen, M.A. (1979), "Simple and complex models for nonlinear seismic response of reinforced concrete structures", Technical Report Research Series No. 465, University of Illinois, Urbana, USA.
- Salonikios, T.N. (2002), "Shear strength and deformation patterns of R/Cwalls with aspect Ratio 1.0 and 1.5 designed to Eurocode8 (EC8)", Eng. Struct., 24, 39-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00076-1
- Sucuoglu, H. and Erberik, A. (2004), "Energy based Hysterisis and damage models for deteriorating systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 33,69-88. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.338
- Takeda, T., Sozen, M.A. and Nielsen, N.N. (1973), "Reinforced concrete response to simulated earthquake", ASCE J. Struct. Div., 96(12), 2557-2573.
- Tasnimi, A.A. (2000), "Strength and deformation of mid-rise shear walls under load Reversal", Eng. Struct., 22, 311-322. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(98)00110-2
- Jacobsen, LS. (1930), "Steady forced vibrations as influenced by damping", ASME Tran., 52, 169-81.