- Volume 59 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of pre-stressed cable on pre-stressed mega-braced steel frame
- Tang, Baijian (School of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Jiangsu University of Science and Technology) ;
- Zhang, Fuxing (School of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Jiangsu University of Science and Technology) ;
- Wang, Yi (School of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Jiangsu University of Science and Technology) ;
- Wang, Fei (School of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Jiangsu University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2015.05.15
- Accepted : 2016.05.24
- Published : 2016.07.25
This study addresses the effect of pre-stressed cables on a pre-stressed mega-braced steel frame through employing static analysis and pushover analysis. The performances of a pre-stressed mega-braced steel frame and a pure steel frame without mega-braces are compared in terms of base shear, ductility, and failure mode. The influence of the cable parameters is also analyzed. Numerical results show that cable braces can effectively improve the lateral stiffness of a pure frame. However, it reduces structural ductility and degenerates structural pre-failure lateral stiffness greatly. Furthermore, it is found that 20% fluctuation in the cable pretension has little effect on structural ultimate bearing capacity and lateral stiffness. As comparison, 20% fluctuation in the cable diameter has much greater impact.
- Asgarian, B. and Moradi, S. (2011), "Seismic response of steel braced frames with shape memory alloy braces", J. Constr. Steel Res., 67(1), 65-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.06.006
- Asghari, A. and Gandomi, A.H. (2015), "Ductility reduction factor and collapse mechanism evaluation of a new steel knee braced frame", Struct. Infrastr. Eng., 12(2), 239-255. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2015.1009123
- Chou, C.C., Chen, Y.C., Phama, D.H. and Truong, V.M. (2014), "Steel braced frames with dual-core SCBs and sandwiched BRBs: Mechanics, modeling and seismic demands", Eng. Struct., 72(1), 26-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.04.022
- Esmaeili, H., Kheyroddin, A., Kafi, M.A. and Nikbakht H. (2013), "Comparison of nonlinear behavior of steel moment frames accompanied with RC shear walls or steel bracings", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 22(14), 1062-1074. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.751
- FEMA 356 (2000), Prestandard and commentary for the seismic rehabilitation of buildings, Washington, USA.
- Gu, S., Tang, B.J. and Shao, J.H. (2011), "Estimation theory on cable's diameter in prestress mega brace and steel frame structure", Appl. Mech. Mater., 94, 310-315.
- Khandelwal, K., EI-Tawil, S. and Sadek, F. (2009), "Progressive collapse analysis of seismically designed steel braced frames", J. Constr. Steel Res., 65, 699-708. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.02.007
- Kim, D.H., Lee, C.H., Ju, Y.K. and Kim, S.D. (2014), "Subassemblage test of buckling: Restrained braces with H-shaped steel core", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 24(1), 243-256.
- GB50017 (2003), Chinese code for design of steel structures, Beijing. (in Chinese)
- GB50011 (2010), Chinese code for seismic design of buildings, Beijing. (in Chinese)
- GB50009 (2012), Chinese load code for the design of building structures, Beijing. (in Chinese)
- Pandikkadavath, M.S. and Sahoo, D.R. (2015), Advances in Structural Engineering, Springer India, New Delhi, India.
- Tang, B.J. and Gu, S. (2010), "Displacement mode of pre-stress-mega-braced steel frames", Build. Sci., 26(9), 57-61. (in Chinese)
- Tang, B.J. and Gu, S. (2010), "Rule of initial prestress in prestress-mega-braced steel frame", J. Shenyang Jianzhu Univ. (Nat. Sci.), 26(3), 480-484. (in Chinese)
- Terrestrial Laser Scanning-Based Deformation Analysis for Arch and Beam Structures 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2017.2709908