- Volume 28 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Effects of Yangkyuksanhwa-tang, Palmulgunja-tang and Cheongpyesagan-tang on the Rat Hyperthyroidism Induced by Levothyroxine
Levothyroxine으로 유발된 갑상선기능항진증 랫트에 대한 양격산화탕, 팔물군자탕 및 청폐사간탕의 효능 비교연구
Kim, Seong-Tae;Choi, Ae-Ryun
- Received : 2016.05.24
- Accepted : 2016.06.20
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives This study's object was to observe the comparative effects of Yangkyuksanhwa-tang, Palmulgunja-tang and Cheongpyesagan-tang on the chronic LT4(levothyroxine) induced hyperthyroidism in rats.Methods Six groups, each of 8 rats in group, were used in this study. Saline and distilled water treated rats are intact control group. Hyperthyroidism was induced by daily subcutaneous LT4 300 μg/kg treatment for 27 days(LT4 control). Since 12th LT4 treatment PTU(propylthiouracil) 10 mg/kg was intraperitoneal injected(PTU group) and aqueous extracts of Yangkyuksanhwa-tang, Palmulgunja-tang and Cheongpyesagan-tang(YS, PG and CS) 500 mg/kg were orally administrated(YS, PG, CS group), once a day for 15 days. The differences in the body, thyroid gland and epididymal fat pad weights, serum T3(tri-iodothyronine), T4(thyroxine), TSH(thyroid-stimulating hormone), thyroid gland and epididymal fat pad histopathology, liver weight, AST(asparte aminotransferase), ALT(alanine aminotransferase) concentrations, hepatic lipid peroxidation, GSH(glutathione), SOD(superoxide dismutase), CAT(catalase) activities, liver histopathology were observed to evaluate effects on hyperthyroidism, liver damages and antioxidant effects.Results As results of LT4 treatment, hyperthyroidism and related liver damages such as lower body, thyroid weights, higher serum T3, T4, AST, ALT levels, thinner follicular lining epithelium in thyroid glands were observed. However, these symptoms were inhibited by oral treatment of YS, PG and CS. As compared with PTU treatment, these herbal prescriptions showed lower overall efficacy on the hyperthyroidism, but YS showed more favorable effects on the hepatic antioxidant defense systems.Conclusions This results suggest that YS, PG and CS favorably control the LT4 induced hyperthyroidism and related liver damages in rats through modulation of the hepatic antioxidative defense systems.
- Min HK. Clinical endocrinology. Seoul: Korea Medical Book. 1999:155-169. (Korean)
- Kasper, Braunwald, Fauci, Hauser, Longo, Jameson. Harrison`s principles of internal medicine. 1st ed. Seoul: MIP. 2006:2308-2323.
- National Health Insurance Service. Statistics of national health insurance 2004-2014[cited 2015 Dec 15]. Available from:URL:http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=350&tblId=TX_35001_A061&vw_cd=MT_OTITLE&list_id=350_35001_6&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&language=kor&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=K2
- Seoul national university college of medicine. Internal medicine. 2nd rev, ed. Seoul:Seoul national university press. 2006:139-158. (Korean)
- Yi JW, Chou JS, Jang MH, Ahn TW. A Case Study of Soyangin Hyperthyroidism Patient. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2013;21(2):149-156. (Korean)
- Kim DH, Park SC, Cho MK, Han CW, Choi JY, Kwon JN et al. Clinical Case Report of Hyperthyroidism Patient Treated with Only Traditional Korean Herbal Medicin. Korean J Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2012;26(3):376-380. (Korean)
- Won JS. DongyiSasangShinpyun. Seoul: Koyusha. 1929:51-57. (Korean)
- Institute for Laboratory Animal Research. Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. 8th ed. Washington, D. C.: The national academics press. 1985:162-166.
- Kim SM, Kim SC, Chung IK, Cheon WH, Ku SK. Antioxidant and Protective Effects of Bupleurum falcatum on the L-Thyroxine-Induced Hyperthyroidism in Rats. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012: Article ID 578497.
- MA JY, Huang DS, Seo CS, Lee SW, Kim JY, Shin HK. Acute Toxicity Study on Yangkyuksanhwa-tang in Mice. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2009;21(3):131-137. (Korean)
- MA JY, Huang DS, Lee SW, Kim JY, Shin HK. Acute Toxicity Study on Yeoldahanso-tang in Mice. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2009;21(1):247-253. (Korean)
- Choi YW. The effect of PalMoolGoonJaTang and SipIMiGwanJungTang to wistar rat's aging. Graduate School College of Oriental Medicine Daejeon Univ. 2005:6. (Korean)
- Lee KL, Kim YW, Lim MK, Song JM. A Case Study about Soyangin Heat Sensation in the Chest(胸膈熱證) Patient Diagnosed as Hyperthyroidism, Used Sasang-bang with Western Medicine. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2006;18(3):198-201. (Korean)
- Lee SH, Choi AR, Goo DM. The clinical study on 1 case of soeumin patient diagnosed as Grave's disease, treated with Palmulgunja-tang and western medicine. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2010;22(4):98-105. (Korean)
- Choi AR, Lee SW, Koo DM. A Study on the Serum Lipid, Digestive Enzymes and Thyroid Hormone in Sasang Constitutional Medicine. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2010;22(2):60-69. (Korean)
- Lee JM. DongyiSuseBowon. Seoul:Eulyoo Pub. 2002: 27-278. (Korean)
- Kim OS. Kim YJ. Shin HK. Anti-atherosclerotic Effects of Herbal Formulas for Sasang Constitutional Medicine. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2012;24(4):51-61. (Korean) https://doi.org/10.7730/JSCM.2012.24.4.51
- Lee SY, Choi AR, Ha JH, Lee JH, Kim PJ, Goo DM. An experimental study on the anti-stress effect by soyangin hyeongbangdojeok-san and yanggyeoksanhwa-tang. J Sasang Constitutional Med. 2008;20(3): 151-163. (Korean)
- Tak M, Tark M, Kang K, Ko W, Yoon H. The Inhibitory effects of Yang Geouk San Hwa-Tang on LPS-stimulated inflammation in RAW264.7 macrophage cells. J Korean Oriental Med Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology & Dermatology. 2010;23(1):118-134. (Korean)
- Jung DY, Ha H, Lee H, Lee J, Lee N, Lee JK et al. Stimulation of the immune response by Yanggyuksanhwatang. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2010;22(4):77-84. (Korean)
- Lee SK, Kim DC. The Effect of Palmulgunjatang gamibang on the ovarian functions in female mice. J Oriental Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2010;23(4):20-34. (Korean)
- Ryu JM, Park SS. The effects of Palmulgunja-tang enzyme activity on cytochrome P450 isozyme. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2005;17(2):64-73. (Korean)
- Park YJ, Kim SJ, Yang GE, Lee MJ, Lee JS, Kang DH et al. Anti-platelet aggregation effect of Cheongpyesagan-tang In Vitro. Korean J Orient Int Med. 2010:31(4):714-721. (Korean)
- Ahn HM, Han SY, Kim JH, Rho TW, Chong MS, Kim YK. Effects of Cheongpyesagan-tang and YKK012 on in vitro and in vivo colon cancer cell growth with and without CPT-11. Kor J Herbology. 2015;30(1): 33-42. (Korean) https://doi.org/10.6116/kjh.2015.30.1.33.
- Kim EY, Sul YK, Choi JJ, Jeon SH, Kim H, Kim JW. Effect of Cheongpesagan-tang on the change of inhibitory effect against lipase activity and weight loss, plasma and UCP1, 2 mRNA expression in db/db mouse. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2007;19(1):171-185. (Korean)
- Panda S, Kar A. Amelioration of L-thyroxine-induced hyperthyroidism by coumarin (1,2-benzopyrone) in female rats. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2007;34(11): 1217-1219.
- Pierpaoli W, Lesnikov VA. Effects of long-term intraperitoneal injection of thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) on aging- and obesity-related changes in body weight, lipid metabolism, and thyroid functions. Curr Aging Sci. 2011;4(1):25-32. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874609811104010025
- Gartner LP, Hiatt JL. Color textbook of histology. Philadelphia : Saunders. 2007:303-325.
- Das K, Chainy GB. Modulation of rat liver mitochondrial antioxidant defence system by thyroid hormone. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2001;1537(1):1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-4439(01)00048-5
- Chattopadhyay S, Sahoo DK, Subudhi U, Chainy GB. Differential expression profiles of antioxidant enzymes and glutathione redox status in hyperthyroid rats: a temporal analysis. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2007;146(3):383-391. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpc.2007.04.010
- Subudhi U, Das K, Paital B, Bhanja S, Chainy GB. Alleviation of enhanced oxidative stress and oxygen consumption of L-thyroxine induced hyperthyroid rat liver mitochondria by vitamin E and curcumin. Chem Biol Interact. 2008;173(2):105-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2008.02.005
- Ha HK, Jin SE, Shin HK. In vitro inhibitory effects of Yangguksanhwa-tang and Taeumjowi-tang on CYP450 isozymes. Kor J Oriental Preventive Medical Society. 2012;16(3):129-137. (Korean)
- Kim JY, Shin MR, Heo WY, Kim DR, Jeon JW. The Effects of Chungpyesagan-tang on the Recovery of Liver Function in Rat Injured by CCl4. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2005;17(1):130-141. (Korean)
- Venditti P, Di Meo S. Thyroid hormone-induced oxidative stress. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2006;63(4):414-434. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00018-005-5457-9
- Voldstedlund M, Tranum-Jensen J, Handberg A, Vinten J. Quantity of Na/K-ATPase and glucose transporters in the plasma membrane of rat adipocytes is reduced by in vivo triiodothyronine. Eur J Endocrinol. 1995;133(5):626-634. https://doi.org/10.1530/eje.0.1330626
- Makay O, Yenisey C, Icoz G, Genc Simsek N, Ozgen G, Akyildiz M et al. The role of allopurinol on oxidative stress in experimental hyperthyroidism. J Endocrinol Invest. 2009;32(8):641-646. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03345734
- Giriş M, Erbil Y, Depboylu B, Mete O, Türkoğlu U, Abbasoğlu SD et al. Heme oxygenase-1 prevents hyperthyroidism induced hepatic damage via an antioxidant and antiapoptotic pathway. J Surg Res. 2010; 164(2):266-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2009.04.013
- Messarah M, Boumendjel A, Chouabia A, Klibet F, Abdennour C, Boulakoud MS et al. Influence of thyroid dysfunction on liver lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in experimental rats. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2010;62(3):301-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.etp.2009.04.009
- Effects of the Pharmacopuncture with MOK on Immune Regulation by Th1/Th2 Cytokines in L-Thyroxine-Induced Hyperthyroid Rats vol.35, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14406/acu.2018.010