- Volume 28 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Case Study of a Taeeumin Patient with Advanced Parkinson's Disease Having Orthostatic Hypotension
기립성 저혈압이 있는 진행된 파킨슨병 태음인 환자 치험 1례
Lee, Mi-Suk;Park, Yu-Gyeong;Bae, Na-Young
- Received : 2016.05.04
- Accepted : 2016.06.21
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives This case study is about a Taeeumin patient with advanced Parkinson's disease identified as Dry-heat (Joyeol) pattern. In this study, we report significant improvement of non-motor and motor symptoms after treatment with Cheongsimyeonja-tang.Methods The patient was identified as Taeeumin Dry-heat (Joyeol) pattern and treated with Cheongsimyeonja-tang and acupuncture. The Unified Parkinson Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS) was used to assess the overall functions of the patient. And the global assessment scale (GAS) was used to assess the improvements of dizziness, bradykinesia and tremor after the treatment.Result and Conclusion The UPDRS total score decreased from 138 points to 86 points after 5 weeks treatment. And symptoms of dizziness caused by hypotension, bradykinesia, and tremor showed significant improvement in GAS after the treatment. Furthermore, sleep disturbance and constipation were reported to be improved after the treatment. In conclusion, this study shows that Sasang constitutional medicine can be effective treatment for Taeeumin patient with advanced Parkinson's disease having orthostatic hypotension.
Advanced Parkinson's disease;Orthostatic hypotension;Taeeumin;Dry-heat (Joyeol) pattern;The Unified Parkinson Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS)
- Hubert H. Updates in the medical management of Parkinson's disease. medical grand rounds. cleveland clinic journal of medicine. 2012;79(1):28-35. https://doi.org/10.3949/ccjm.78gr.11005
- Health insurance Review & Assessment Service, National Health Insurance Service. 2014 National Health Insurrance statistical yearbook. Seoul. 2015. (Korean)
- Jankovic J. Parkinson's disease: clinical features and diagnosis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2008;79:368-376. https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.2007.131045
- Kim JY, KIm HJ, Jeon BS. Prevalence and characteristics of nonmotor symptoms in Korean Parkinson’s disease patients and its relationship with experience of alternative therapies. Journal of Clinical Neurology. 2013;31(1):8-14. (Korean)
- Kim JS. Dysautonomia in Parkinson's disease. J Korean Society for Clinical Neurophysiology. 2007;9(2):59-65. (Korean)
- Park SM, Lee SH, Yin CS, Kang MK, Lee YH. Literature Review on Parkinson's disease in Oriental medicine. J. Korean acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2004;21(1):202-210. (Korean)
- Harvey RA, Clark MA. Finkel R, Rey JA, Whalen K. Lippincott's illustrated reviews: Pharmacology. 5th ed. Philadelphia:Wolters Kluwer. 2012.
- Jo JH. Clinical rating scales of Parkinson's disease. Neuronet Focus. 2009;4(3):14-17. (Korean)
- Victor M, Ropper AH. Principles of Neurology 2001. 7th ed. New York;McGraw-Hill. 2001;1128-1210.
- Baik JS. Treatment of Parkinson's disease. Drug information. 2007;33(4):24-25. (Korean)
- Lee JH, Lee EJ. Clinical practice guideline for Soyangin disease of Sasang constitutional medicine: diagnosis and algorithm. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2014; 26(3):224-240. (Korean) https://doi.org/10.7730/JSCM.2014.26.3.224
- Lee JH, Lee EJ. Clinical practice guideline for Taeeumin and Taeyangin disease of Sasang constitutional medicine: diagnosis and algorithm. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2015;27(1):13-41. (Korean) https://doi.org/10.7730/JSCM.2015.27.1.013