- Volume 53 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Direct Numerical Simulations of Turbulent Boundary Layer using OpenFOAM and Adapted Mesh
OpenFOAM과 어댑티드 격자를 이용한 난류 경계층의 직접 수치 모사
- Received : 2016.01.15
- Accepted : 2016.06.02
- Published : 2016.06.20
Direct numerical simulations of a spatially developing turbulent boundary layer on a flat plate have been performed to verify the applicability of OpenFOAM and adapted mesh with prism layers to turbulent numerical simulation with high fidelity as well as provide a guideline on numerical schemes and parameters of OpenFOAM. Reynolds number based on a momentum thickness at inlet and a free-stream velocity was Reθ=300. Time dependent inflow fields with near-wall turbulent structures were generated by a method of Lund et al. (1998), which was to extract instantaneous velocity fields from an auxiliary simulation with rescaled and recycled velocities at inlet. To ascertain the statistical characteristics of turbulent boundary layer, the mean profiles of streamwise velocity and turbulent intensities obtained from structured and adapted meshes were compared with the previous data.
Turbulent boundary layer;OpenFOAM;Direct numerical simulation;Adapted mesh;Structured mesh
- Ekaterinaris J. A., 2005, High-Order Accurate, Low Numerical Diffusion Methods for Aerodynamics. Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 41, pp.192-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paerosci.2005.03.003
- Freitas, P. G. F. E., 2014, Numerical Simulation of Compressible Flow over a Deep Cavity, Master Thesis. Técnico Lisboa.
- Haren, S. W., 2011, Testing DNS Capability of OpenFOAM and STAR-CCM+, Master Thesis. Delft University of Technology.
- Kim, J., Choi, J. -I. & Sung, H. J., 2002, Relationship between Wall Pressure Fluctuations and Streamwise Vortices in a Turbulent Boundary Layer, Physics of Fluids, 14(2), pp.898-901. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1429964
- Kim, K. & Sung, H. J., 2006, Effects of Unsteady Blowing through a Spanwise Slot on a Turbulent Boundary Layer, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 557, pp.423-450. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112006009906
- Lee, J. -H. & Sung, H. J., 2005, Response of a Spatially Developing Turbulent Boundary Layer to a Spanwise Oscillating Electromagnetic Force, Journal of Turbulence, 6(39), pp.1-15. https://doi.org/10.1080/14685240500055012
- Lee, S. & Kim, B., 2015, A Numerical Study on Manoeuvrability of Wind Turbine Installation Vessel Using OpenFOAM, International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, 7(3), pp.466-477. https://doi.org/10.1515/ijnaoe-2015-0033
- Lee, S. B. & Lee, Y. M., 2014. Statistical Reliablity Analysis of Numerical Simulation for Prediction of Model-Ship Resistance. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 51(4), pp.321-327. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2014.51.4.321
- Lund, T. S., Wu, X. & Squires, K. D., 1998, Generation ofTurbulent Inflow Data for Spatially-Developing Boundary Layer Simulations. Journal of Computational Physics, 140, pp.233-258. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.1998.5882
- Park, S. H., Lee, S. B. & Lee, Y. M., 2014. Study on the Estimation of the Optimum Trims in Container Carriers by using CFD Analysis of Ship Resistances. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 51(5), pp.429-434. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2014.51.5.429
- Spalart, P. R., 1988, Direct Numerical Simulation of a Turbulent Boundary Layer up to Reθ=1410. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 187, pp.61-98. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112088000345