- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Measurement of the Modulation Transfer Function of Infrared Imaging System by Modified Slant Edge Method
Li, Hang;Yan, Changxiang;Shao, Jianbing
- Received : 2016.04.18
- Accepted : 2016.05.17
- Published : 2016.06.25
The performance of a staring infrared imaging system can be characterized based on estimating the modulation transfer function (MTF). The slant edge method is a widely used MTF estimation method, which can effectively solve the aliasing problem caused by the discrete undersampling of the infrared focal plane array. However, the traditional slant edge method has some limitations such as the low precision of the edge angle extraction and using the approximate function to fit the edge spread function (ESF), which affects the accuracy of the MTF estimation. In this paper, we propose a modified slant edge method, including an edge angle extraction method that can improve the precision of the edge angle extraction and an ESF fitting algorithm which is based on the transfer function model of the imaging system, to enhance the accuracy of the MTF estimation. This modified slant edge method presents higher estimation accuracy and better immunity to noise and edge angle than other traditional methods, which is demonstrated by the simulation and application experiments operated in our study.
Modulation transfer function;Slant edge method;Infrared imaging system;Edge angle;Edge spread function
- A. P. Tzannes and J. M. Mooney, “Measurement of the modulation transfer function of infrared cameras,” Opt. Eng. 34, 1808-1817 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1117/12.203133
- J. H. Lee, Y. S. Jung. S. Y. Ryoo, and Y. J. Kim, “Imaging performance analysis of an EO/IR dual band airborne camera,” J. Opt. Soc. Korea 15, 174-181 (2011). https://doi.org/10.3807/JOSK.2011.15.2.174
- J. T. Olson, R. L. Espinola, and E. L. Jacobs, “Comparison of tilted slit and tilted edge superresolution modulation transfer function techniques,” Opt. Eng. 46, 016403 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.2430503
- S. Najafi and K. Madanipour, “Measurement of the modulation transfer function of a charge-coupled device array by the combination of the self-imaging effect and slanted edge method,” Appl. Opt. 52, 4724-4727 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.52.004724
- J. Kang, Q. Hao, and X. Cheng, “Measurement and comparison of one- and two-dimensional modulation transfer function of optical imaging systems based on the random target method,” Opt. Eng 53, 104105 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.OE.53.10.104105
- M. A. Chambliss, J. A. Dawson, and E. J. Brog, “Measuring the MTF of undersampled staring IRFPA sensors using 2D discrete Fourier transform,” in Infrared Imaging Systems: Design, Analysis, Modeling, and Testing VI, edited by Gerald C. Holst, Proc. SPIE 2470, 312-324 (1995).
- R. Joyce and L. Swierkowski, “Precise modulation transfer function measurements for focal plane array systems,” in Infrared Imaging Systems: Design, Analysis, Modeling, and Testing XIV, edited by Gerald C. Holst, Proc. SPIE 5076, 157-168 (2003).
- C. Fan, G. Li, and C. TAO, “Slant edge method for point spread function estimation,” Appl. Opt. 54, 4097-4103 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.54.004097
- Photography-Electronic Still Picture Cameras-Resolution Measurements, ISO Standard 12233 (2000).
- K. Masaoka, T. Yamashita, Y. Nishida, and M. Sugawara, “Modified slanted-edge method and multidirectional modulation transfer function estimation,” Opt. Express 22, 6040-6046 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.22.006040
- S. M. Bentzen, “Evaluation of the spatial resolution of a CT scanner by direct analysis of the edge response function,” Med. Phys 10, 579-581 (1983). https://doi.org/10.1118/1.595328
- F. F. Yin, M. L. Giger, and K. Doi, “Measurement of the presampling modulation transfer function of film digitizers using a curve fitting technique,” Med. Phys. 17, 960-966 (1990).
- Parallelism detection of visibility meter’s probe beam and the effect on extinction coefficient measurement vol.128, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2016.09.119
- Contrast-sensitivity-based evaluation method of a surveillance camera’s visual resolution: improvement from the conventional slanted-edge spatial frequency response method vol.56, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.56.001464
- Dynamic Modulation Transfer Function Analysis of Images Blurred by Sinusoidal Vibration vol.20, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3807/JOSK.2016.20.6.762
- MTF measurement and analysis of linear array HgCdTe infrared detectors vol.88, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infrared.2017.11.010
- A USB 3.0 readout system for Timepix3 detectors with on-board processing capabilities vol.13, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-0221/13/11/C11017