- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Square Beam Energy Efficiency of a Homogenizer Near the Target for Laser Shock Peening
Kim, Taeshin;Hwang, Seungjin;Hong, Kyung Hee;Yu, Tae Jun
- Received : 2016.04.15
- Accepted : 2016.05.12
- Published : 2016.06.25
We analyzed through numerical simulations the properties of a square beam homogenizer near the target for laser shock peening. The efficiency was calculated near the target by considering the plasma threshold of the metals. We defined the depth of focus of the square beam homogenizer with a given efficiency near the target. Then, we found the relationship between the depth of focus for the laser shock peening and four main parameters of the square beam homogenizer: the plasma threshold of the metal, the number of lenslets in the array-lens, the focal length of the condenser lens and the input beam size.
Beam shaping;Beam homogenizer;Depth of focus;Laser shock peening
- A. K. Gujba and M. Medraj, “Laser peening process and its impact on materials properties in comparison with shot peening and ultrasonic impact peening,” Materials 7, 7925-7974 (2014). https://doi.org/10.3390/ma7127925
- R. Fabbro, J. Fournier, P. Ballard, D. Devaux, and J. Virmont, “Physical study of laser produced plasma in confined geometry,” J. Appl. Phys. 68, 775-784 (1990). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.346783
- R. Fabbro, P. Peyre, L. Berthe, and X. Scherpereel, “Physics and applications of laser-shock processing,” J. Laser Appl. 10, 265-279 (1998). https://doi.org/10.2351/1.521861
- C. Montross, T. Wei, L. Ye, G. Clark, and Y. Mai, “Laser shock processing and its effects on microstructure and properties of metal alloys: a review,” Int. J. Fatigue 24, 1021-1036 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(02)00022-1
- H. Lim, P. Kim, H. Jeong, and S. Jeong, “Enhancement of abrasion and corrosion resistance of duplex stainless steel by laser shock peening,” J. Mater. Process. Technol. 212, 1347-1354 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2012.01.023
- P. Peyre, R. Fabbro, L. Berthe, and C. Dubouchet, “Laser shock processing of materials, physical processes involved and examples of applications,” J. Laser Applications 8, 135-141 (1996). https://doi.org/10.2351/1.4745414
- Z. Cao, H. Xu, S. Zou, and Z. Che, “Investigation of surface integrity on TC17 titanium alloy treated by square-spot laser shock peening,” Chin. J. Aeronaut. 25, 650-656 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1000-9361(11)60429-9
- S. Zou, J. Wu, and S. Gong, “Laser peening systems and the effects of laser peening on aeronautical metals sheet,” AASCIT Communications 3, 23-31 (2016).
- Z. Cao, Z. Che, S. Zou, and Q. Fei, “Numerical simulation of residual stress field induced by laser shock processing with square spot,” J. Shanghai Univ. 15, 553-556 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11741-011-0785-1
- S. Zou, S. Gong, and E. Gou, “Surface profile and microstructure of laser peened Ti-6Al-4V,” Rare Metals 31, 430-433 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12598-012-0533-4
- Z. Cao, Z. Che, and S. Zou, “Simulation study of stress hole on laser shock peening with square spot,” Rare Metal Materials and Engineering 42, 222-225 (2013).
- M. Zimmermann, N. Lindlein, R. Voelkel, and K. Weible, “Microlens laser beam homogenizer - from theory to application,” Proc. SPIE 6663, 1-13 (2010).
- R. Voelkel and K. J. Weible, “Laser beam homogenizing: limitations and constraints,” Proc. SPIE 7102, 71020J (2008).
- High Strain Rate Response of 7055 Aluminum Alloy Subject to Square-spot Laser Shock Peening vol.275, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/275/1/012041