- Volume 11 Issue 4
A bidirectional DC-DC converter (BDC) is an indispensable electrical unit for the electric vehicles (EVs). High efficiency, high power density, isolation, light weight and reliability are all essential requirements for BDC. In this paper, a 3 kW BDC for the battery charger of EVs is proposed. The proposed converter consists of a half-bridge structure on the primary side and an isolation transformer and a synchronous rectifier structure on the secondary side. With this topology, minimum number of switching devices are required for bidirectional power flow between the two dc buses of EVs. The easy implementation of the synchronous rectification gives advantages in terms of efficiency, cost and flexibility. The proposed BDC achieves high efficiency when operating in both modes (step-up and step-down). A 3 kW prototype is implemented to verify theoretical analysis and the performance of the proposed converter.
Bidirectional DC-DC converter;Battery charger;Electric vehicles;Efficiency
- Junsung Park, and Sewan Choi, “Design and control of a bidirectional resonant DC-DC converter for automotive engine/battery hybrid power generators,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 29, no.7, pp. 3748-3757, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2281826
- C.C. Lin, L.S. Yang and G.W. Wu, “Study of a non-isolated bidirectional DC-dc converter,” IET Power Electronics, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 30-37, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0338
- Z. Zhang, O. Thomsen, and M. Andersen, “Optimal design of a push-pull-forward half-bridge (PPFHB ) bidirectional DC-DC converter with variable input voltage,” IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 2761-2771, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2134051
- F. Zhang and Y. Yan, “Novel forward-flyback hybrid bidirectional DC-DC converter,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 1578-1584, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2009561
- Gang Chen, Yim-Shu Lee, S. Y. R. Hui, Dehong Xu, and Yousheng Wang, “Actively clamped bidirectional flyback converter,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 770-779, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.857957
- K. Venkatesan, “Current mode controlled bidirectional flyback converter,” in proceedings of 20th Annual IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, PESC, pp. 835-842, 1989.
- K. Wu, C. de Silva, and W. Dunford, “Stability analysis of isolated bidirectional dual active full-bridge DC-DC converter with triple phase-shift control,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 2007-2017, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2167243
- R. Naayagi, A. Forsyth, and R. Shuttleworth, “High-power bidirectional DC-DC converter for aerospace applications,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 4366-4379, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2184771
- C. Zhao, S. Round, and J. Kolar, “Full-order averaging modelling of zero-voltage-switching phase-shift bidi-rectional DC-DC converters,” IET Power Electronics, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 400-410, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2008.0208
- C. Mi, H. Bai, C. Wang, and S. Gargies, “Operation, design and control of dual H-bridge-based isolated bidirectional DC-DC converter,” IET Power Electronics, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 507-517, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel:20080004
- S. Park, and Y. Song, “An interleaved half-bridge bidirectional DC-DC converter for energy storage system applications,” in proceedings of 8th IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE & ECCE), pp. 2029-2034, 2011.
- B.-R. Lin, C.-L. Huang, and Y.-E. Lee, “Asymmetrical pulse width modulation bidirectional DC-DC converter, ” IET Power Electronics, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 336-347, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel:20070180
- F. Peng, H. Li, G.-J. Su, and J. Lawler, “A new ZVS bidirectional DC-DC converter for fuel cell and battery appli-cation,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 54-65, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.820550
- H. Li, F. Z. Peng, and J. Lawler, “A natural ZVS medium-power bidirectional DC-DC converter with minimum number of devices,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 525-535, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2003.808965
- M. Jain, P. Jain, and M. Daniele, “A bidirectional DC-DCconverter topology for low power application,” in proceedings of 28th Annual IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, PESC vol. 1, pp. 804-810, 1997.
- João Silvestre, “Half-bridge bidirectional DC-DC Converter for small Electric Vehicle.” IEEE International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion, SPEEDAM, 2008.
- Zhiyong Ma, and Renjie Hu. “Zero-voltage-switching condition of isolated-type symmetrical half-bridge bidirectional DC/DC converter.” in proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Electrical and Control Engineering (ICECE), 2011.