- Volume 11 Issue 4
One of the most important characteristic curves of a solar cell is its current density-voltage (J-V) curve under AM1.5G insolation. Solar cell can be considered as a semiconductor diode, so a diode equivalent model was used to estimate its parameters from the J-V curve by numerical simulation. Active layer plays an important role in operation of a solar cell. We investigated the effect thicknesses and defect densities (Nd) of the active layer on the J-V curve. When the active layer thickness was varied (for Nd = 8×1017 cm-3) from 800 nm to 100 nm, the reverse saturation current density (Jo) changed from 3.56×10-5 A/cm2 to 9.62×10-11 A/cm2 and its ideality factor (n) changed from 5.28 to 2.02. For a reduced defect density (Nd = 4×1015 cm-3), the n remained within 1.45≤n≤1.92 for the same thickness range. A small increase in shunt resistance and almost no change in series resistance were observed in these cells. The low reverse saturation current density (Jo = 9.62×10-11 A/cm2) and diode ideality factor (n = 2.02 or 1.45) were observed for amorphous silicon based solar cell with 100 nm thick active layer.
Amorphous silicon solar cell;Diode equivalent model;Active layer thickness
- J. C. H. Phang, D. S. H. Chan, J. R. Phillips, Accurate analytical method for the extraction of solar cell model parameters, Electron Lett, 20 (1984) 406-408. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19840281
- D. S. H. Chan, J. R. Phillips, J. C. H. Phang, A comparative study of extraction methods for solar cell model parameters, Solid-State Electron., 29 (1986) 329-337. https://doi.org/10.1016/0038-1101(86)90212-1
- S. Voswinckel, V. Wesselak, B. Lustermann, Behaviour of amorphous silicon solar modules: A parameter study, Sol. Energy, 92 (2013) 206-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2013.03.006
- K. I. Kurobe, H. Matsunami, New two-diode model for detailed analysis of multicrystalline silicon solar cells, Jpn J Appl Phys Part 1 Regul Pap Short Note Rev Pap, 44 (2005) 8314-8321. https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.44.8314
- C. Voz, J. Puigdollers, J.M. Asensi, S. Galindo, S. Cheylan, R. Pacios, P. Ortega, R. Alcubilla, Analysis of the dynamic short-circuit resistance in organic bulk-heterojunction solar cells: Relation to the charge carrier collection efficiency, Org. Electron.: phys. mater. appl., 14 (2013) 1643-1648.
- S. Yamamoto, A. Orimo, H. Ohkita, H. Benten, S. Ito, Molecular understanding of the open-circuit voltage of polymer:Fullerene solar cells, Adv. Energy Mater., 2 (2012) 229-237. https://doi.org/10.1002/aenm.201100549
- R. Y. Yang, H. Y. Chen, F. D. Lai, Performance degradation of dye-sensitized solar cells induced by electrolytes, Adv. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2012 (2012).
- M. Zeman, J. A. Willemen, S. Solntsev, J. W. Metselaar, Extraction of amorphous silicon solar cell parameters by inverse modelling, Sol Energ Mater Sol Cells, 34 (1994) 557-563. https://doi.org/10.1016/0927-0248(94)90085-X
- J. Chen, Z. R. Du, F. Ma, F. Lin, D. Sarangi, B. Hoex, A. G. Aberle, Accurate extraction of the series resistance of aluminum local back surface field silicon wafer solar cells, Sol Energ Mater Sol Cells, 133 (2015) 113-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2014.10.003
- J. Appelbaum, A. Peled, Parameters extraction of solar cells - A comparative examination of three methods, Sol Energ Mater Sol Cells, 122 (2014) 164-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2013.11.011
- Z. Arefinia, A. Asgari, Optical and electrical modeling of solar cells based on graphene/Si nanowires with radial p–i–n junctions, Sol Energ Mater Sol Cells, 137 (2015) 146-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2015.01.032
- E. Cuce, P. M. Cuce, T. Bali, An experimental analysis of illumination intensity and temperature dependency of photovoltaic cell parameters, Appl. Energy, 111 (2013) 374-382. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.05.025
- S. M. Iftiquar, J. Jung, H. Park, J. Cho, C. Shin, J. Park, J. Jung, S. Bong, S. Kim, J. Yi, Effect of light trapping in an amorphous silicon solar cell, Thin Solid Films, 587 (2015) 117-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2015.02.037
- S. M. Iftiquar, J. Yi, Determining criteria for near-ideal operation of amorphous silicon solar cell, Conference PVSEC-25 (Nov. 15-20, 2015, Busan Korea), Abstact number: SiF-O-15.
- H. Sakai, T. Yoshida, S. Fujikake, T. Hama, Y. Ichikawa, Effect of p/i interface layer on dark J-V characteristics and Voc in p-i-n solar cells, J. Appl. Phys. 67 (1990) 3494 – 3499. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.345340
- S. M. Iftiquar, J. Jung, C. Shin, H. Park, J. Park, J. Jung, J. Yi, Light management for enhanced efficiency of textured n-i-p type amorphous silicon solar cell, Sol Energ Mater Sol Cells, 132 (2014) 348-355.
- S. M. Iftiquar, J. Jang, H. Park, C. Shin, J. Park, J. Jung, S. Kim, J. Yi, Analysis of optical absorption and quantum efficiency due to light trapping in a n-i-p type amorphous silicon solar cell with textured back reflector, Phys. Status Solidi A Appl. Mater. Sci., 211 (2014) 924-931. https://doi.org/10.1002/pssa.201330291
- Silicon germanium active layer with graded band gap and µc-Si:H buffer layer for high efficiency thin film solar cells vol.56, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mssp.2016.08.011
- Investigation of highly efficient methyl ammonium lead halide perovskite solar cell with non-textured front surface vol.148, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2017.08.141
- Reduction in Photocurrent Loss and Improvement in Performance of Single Junction Solar Cell Due to Multistep Grading of Hydrogenated Amorphous Silicon Germanium Active Layer 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12633-016-9527-4