- Volume 24 Issue 4
An in-wheel motor vehicle is a type of car that is equipped with an electric motor for each wheel. It is possible to acquire vehicle stability through a seperate driving torque control per wheel, since it directly generates the driving torque via the wheel motors. However, the vehicle ride comfort and road holding performance worsen depending on the increase of the wheel weights. In order to compensate for the impaired performance, an integrated chassis control system of the rear in-wheel motor vehicle is proposed. The proposed integrated chassis control system is composed of a driving torque control system, a semi-active suspension system, and an ESC system. According to the vehicle dynamic simulation of an in-wheel motor vehicle equipped with the integrated chassis control system, it is found that the system can improve the driving stability, ride comfort, and driving efficiency of the in-wheel motor vehicle.
Electric vehicle;In-wheel motor;Driving torque control;Semi-active suspension system;Integrated chassis control
- T. Nakada, S. Ishikawa and S. Oki, "Development of an Electric Motor for a Newly Developed Electric Vehicle," SAE 2014-01-1879, 2014.
- S. Murata, "Vehicle Dynamics Innovation with In-Wheel Motor," SAE 2011-39-7204, 2011.
- KS R ISO 3888-1:2008, Passenger Cars -Test Track for a Severe Lane-change Manoeuvre-Part 1 : Double Lane-change, Korean Standards, 2008.
- S. G. Shin and G. J. Choi, "Driving Performance Analysis of a Rear In-wheel Motor Vehicle with Simultaneous Control of Driving Torque and Semi-active Suspension System," Transactions of KSAE, Vol.23, No.1, pp.11-17, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7467/KSAE.2015.23.1.011
- H. W. Song, Y. K. Lee, J. J. Baek, J. H. Park and S. H. Hwang, "Driving Force Distribution Algorithm for Improved Driving Efficiency of 4-Wheel-Drive In-wheel Electric Vehicles," KSAE Spring Conference Proceedings, pp.1846-1850, 2013.
- J. H. Yi, K. H. Lee, I. H. Kim, D. W. Jeong and S. J. Heo, "A Study of Torque Vectoring Application in Electric Vehicle for Driving Stability Performance Evaluation," Transactions of KSAE, Vol.22, No.3, pp.250-256, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7467/KSAE.2014.22.3.250
- Y. G. Kim, M. S. Kim, J. H. Sohn and W. S. Yoo, "Design Parameter of the Semi-active Damper of a Large Bus using Sky-hook Control," KSME Spring Conference Proceedings, pp.67-70, 2011.
- S. H. Yoon, B. K. Koo, Y. S. Kou, J. H. Jung and D. S. Kim, "Study on the Development of Rollover Prevention System based on Simulation of Vehicle Dynamics," KSAE Fall Conference Proceedings, pp.649-655, 2004.
- T. W. Hong, A Study on Control Strategy of Steer Avoidance for Improving Performance to Emergency Steer Assist System, Ph.D Dissertation, Kookmin University, Seoul, 2013.
- H. D. Kim, G. J. Choi, M. H. Ha, H. J. Moon and B. J. Kang, "Semi-active Chassis Integrated Control System of a Rear In-wheel Motorized Automobile," KSAE Annual Conference Proceedings, pp.451-452, 2015.