- Volume 17 Issue 1
This study was to understand associated factors with frequent exposure to Internet pornography among Korean adolescents. We used data (N = 45,783) from the 2012 Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey to examine demographics, family environmental variables, Internet use time, mental health indicators, sexual behavior, and delinquency among Korean adolescents identified as frequent users of Internet pornography. Multiple logistic regression analysis revealed that frequent users of Internet pornography were more likely to be older males with differences in living arrangements and perceived economic status of the family. They were heavy Internet users with mental health issues, such as a higher likelihood of sadness, suicidal ideation, suicide attempts, high stress, and a lower likelihood of feeling happiness. Their higher probability of exploratory (OR =1.79-4.60), and high-risk sexual behavior (OR = 2.20-7.46), and other delinquencies (OR = 1.74-7.68) requires more attention from public health professionals.
adolescent health;adolescent delinquency;Internet pornography;mental health;sexual behavior
- Alexy, E.M., Burgess, A.W., & Prentky, R.A. (2009). Pornography use as a risk marker of an aggressive pattern of behavior among sexually reactive children and adolescents. Journal of American Psychiatric Nurses Association,14(6), 442-453. https://doi.org/10.1177/1078390308327137
- Brand, M., Laier, C., Pawlikowski, M., Schochtle, U., Scholer, T., & Altstotter-Gleich, C. (2011). Watching pornographic pictures on the Internet: Role of sexual arousal ratings and psychological-psychiatric symptoms for using Internet sex sites excessively. CyberPsychology, Behavior and Social Networking, 14(6), 371-377. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2010.0222
- Braun-Courville, D.K., & Rojas, M. (2009). Exposure to sexually explicit web sites and adolescent sexual attitudes and behaviors, Journal of Adolescent Health, 45, 156-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2008.12.004
- Cooper, A., McLoughlin, I.P., & Campbell, K.M. (2000). Sexuality in cyberspace: Update for the 21st century. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 3(4), 521-536. https://doi.org/10.1089/109493100420142
- Doring, N. M. (2009). The Internet's impact on sexuality: A critical review of 15 years of research. Computers in Human Behavior, 25, 1089-1101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2009.04.003
- Flood, M. (2009). The harms of pornography exposure among children and young people. Child Abuse Review, 18, 384-400. https://doi.org/10.1002/car.1092
- Greenfield, P. M. (2004). Inadvertent exposure to pornography on the Internet: Implications of peer-to-peer file-sharing networks for child development and families. Applied Developmental Psychology, 25, 741-750. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appdev.2004.09.009
- Griffith, M. (2000). Excessive Internet use: Implications for sexual behavior. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 3(4), 537-552. https://doi.org/10.1089/109493100420151
- Haggstrom-Nordin, E., Hanson, U., & Tyden, T. (2005). Associations between pornography consumption and sexual practices among adolescents in Sweden. International Journal of STD & AIDS, 16(2), 102-107. https://doi.org/10.1258/0956462053057512
- Internet World Stats (2014). Internet Usage Statistics: World Internet Users and Population Stats.. Retrieved June 18, 2015, from http://www.internetworldstats.com.
- Jo, J. Y. & Kim, Y. H. (2006). A path model of self, family & extra familial system factors associated with adolescents' sexual risk behaviors. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 44(3), 181-195.
- Kadiri, N., Benjelloun, R., Kendili, I., Khoubila, A., & Moussaoui, D. (2013). Internet and sexuality in Morocco, from cyber habits to psychopathology. Sexologies, 22, e49-e53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sexol.2012.08.006
- Kanuga, M., & Rosenfeld, W. (2004). Adolescent sexuality and the Internet; The good, the bad and the URL. Journal of Pediatric & Adolescent Gynecology, 17, 117-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2004.01.015
- Ko, T. G., & Yang, E. S. (2007). Research on the adolescents' usage patterns on the Internet adult sites. Korean Journal of Physical Education, 46(4), 305-315.
- Kotchick, B. A., Shaffer, A., Miller, K. S., & Forehand, R. (2001). Adolescent sexual risk behavior: A multi-system perspective. Clinical Psychology Review, 21(4), 493-519. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-7358(99)00070-7
- Lo, V., & Wei, R. (2005). Exposure to Internet pornography and Taiwanese adolescents' sexual attitudes and behavior. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 49(2), 221-237. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15506878jobem4902_5
- Ma, C. M. S., & Shek, D. T. L. (2013). Consumption of pornographic materials in early adolescents in Hong Kong. Journal of Pediatric & Adolescent Gynecology, 26, s18-s25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2013.03.011
- Malamuth, N., & Huppin, M. (2005). Pornography and teenagers: Importance of individual differences. Adolescent Medicine Clinics, 16, 315-326. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.admecli.2005.02.004
- Meerkerk, G., Van Den Eijnden, R. J. J. M., & Garretsen, H. F. L. (2006). Predicting compulsive Internet use; It's all about sex!. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 9(1), 95-103. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2006.9.95
- Mesch, G. S. (2009). Social bonds and Internet pornographic exposure among adolescents. Journal of Adolescence, 32(3), 601-618. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2008.06.004
- Mustanski, B. S. (2001). Getting wired: Exploiting the Internet for the collection of valid sexuality data. Journal of Sex Research, 38, 292-301. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224490109552100
- Nam, Y. O., & Lee, S. J. (2002). Relationship among adolescents cyber-sex addiction, exposure to cyber obscenities and cyber sexual activities. Korean Journal of Adolescent Studies, 9(3), 185-212.
- Owens, E. W., Behun, R. J., Manning, J. C., & Reid, R. C. (2012). The impact of Internet pornography on adolescents: A review of the research. Sexual Addiction & Compulsivity, 19, 99-122. https://doi.org/10.1080/10720162.2012.660431
- Peter, J., & Valkenburg, P. M. (2006). Adolescents' exposure to sexually explicit online material and recreational attitudes toward sex. Journal of Communications, 56, 639-660. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2006.00313.x
- Peter, J., & Valkenburg, P. M. (2008a). Adolescents' exposure to sexually explicit Internet material, sexual uncertainty, and attitudes toward uncommitted sexual exploration, Is there a link?. Communication Research, 35(5), 579-601. https://doi.org/10.1177/0093650208321754
- Peter, J., & Valkenburg, P. M. (2008b). Adolescents' exposure to sexually explicit internet material and sexual preoccupancy: A three-wave panel study. Media Psychology, 11(2), 207-234. https://doi.org/10.1080/15213260801994238
- Sabina, C., Wolak, J., & Finkelhor, D. (2008). The nature and dynamics of Internet pornography exposure for youth. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 11(6), 691-693. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2007.0179
- Sung, J., Lee, J., Noh, H. M., Park, Y. S., & Ahn, E. J. (2013). Associations between the risk of Internet addiction and problem behaviors among Korean adolescents. Korean Journal of Family Medicine, 34(2), 115-122. https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2013.34.2.115
- Svedin, C. G., Akerman, I., & Priebe, G. (2011). Frequent users of pornography. A population based epidemiological study of Swedish male adolescents. Journal of Adolescence, 34, 779-788. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2010.04.010
- To, S., Ngai, S. S., & Kan, S. I. (2012). Direct and mediating effects of accessing sexually explicit online materials on Hong Kong adolescents' attitude, knowledge and behavior relating to sex, Children and Youth Services Review, 34, 2156-2163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2012.07.019
- Ybarra, M. L., & Mitchell, K. J. (2005). Exposure to Internet pornography among children and adolescents: a national survey. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 8(5), 473-486. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2005.8.473
- Young, K. S. (2001). Tangled in the Web: Understanding Cybersex from Fantasy to Addiction. Bloomington, IN: AuthorHouse.
- Young, K. S. (2008). Internet sex addiction: Risk factors, stages of development, and treatment. American Behavioral Scientist, 52, 21-37. https://doi.org/10.1177/0002764208321339
Supported by : The University of Suwon