- Volume 11 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparative field tests on uplift behavior of straight-sided and belled shafts in loess under an arid environment
- Received : 2015.04.24
- Accepted : 2016.04.11
- Published : 2016.07.25
This study elucidates the uplift behaviors of the straight-sided and belled shafts. The field uplift load tests were carried out on 18 straight-sided and 15 belled shafts at the three collapsible loess sites under an arid environment on the Loess Plateau in Northwest China. Both the site conditions and the load tests were documented comprehensively. In general, the uplift load-displacement curves of the straight-sided and belled shafts approximately exhibited an initial linear, a curvilinear transition, and a final linear region, but did not provide a well defined peak or asymptotic value of the load, and therefore their uplift resistances should be interpreted from the load test results using an appropriate criterion. Nine representative uplift resistance interpretation criteria were used to define the "interpreted failure load" for each of the load tests, and all of these interpreted uplift resistances were normalized by the failure threshold,
loess;pullout testing;straight-sided shafts;belled shafts;transmission tower;load test;ultimate load
- Akbas, S.O. and Kulhawy, F.H. (2009), "Axial compression of footings in cohesionless soils. I: Load-settlement behavior", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 135(11), 1562-1574. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000135
- Assallay, A.M., Rogers, C.D.F. and Smalley, I.J. (1996), "Engineering properties of loess in Libya", J. Arid. Environ., 32(4), 373-386. https://doi.org/10.1006/jare.1996.0031
- ASTM (2007), Standard test method for particle-size analysis of soils, ASTM D422-63, American Society for Testing and Materials. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM (2011a), Standard practice for classification of soils for engineering purposes (Unified Soil Classification System), ASTM D2487-11; American Society for Testing and Materials, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM (2011b), Standard test method for direct shear test of soils under consolidated drained conditions, ASTM D3080/D3080M-11; American Society for Testing and Materials, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- Briaud, J.L. (2007), "Spread footings in sand: Load settlement curve approach", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 133(8), 905-920. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2007)133:8(905)
- CEI/IEC (1996), Overhead lines-Testing of foundation for structures, CEI/IEC 1773; Commission Electrotechinque Internationale/International Electrotechnical Commission, Bureau central de la Commission Electrotechnique Internationale 3, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Chen, J.R. (2004), "Axial behavior of drilled shafts in gravelly soils", Ph.D. Thesis; Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University, New York, NY, USA.
- Chen, Y.J. and Chu, T.H. (2012), "Evaluation of uplift interpretation criteria for drilled shafts in gravely soils", Can. Geotech. J., 49(1), 70-77. https://doi.org/10.1139/t11-080
- Chen, Y.J. and Fang, Y.C. (2009), "Critical evaluation of compression interpretation criteria for drilled shafts", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 135(8), 1056-1069. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000027
- Chen, Y.J and Lee, Y.H. (2010), "Evaluation of lateral interpretation criteria for drilled shaft capacity", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 136(8), 1124-1136. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000325
- Chen, Y.J., Chang, H.W. and Kulhawy, F.H. (2008), "Evaluation of uplift interpretation criteria for drilled shaft capacity", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 134(10), 1459-1468. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2008)134:10(1459)
- Chen, Y.J., Lin, S.W. and Kulhawy, F.H. (2011), "Evaluation of lateral interpretation criteria for rigid drilled shafts", Can. Geotech. J., 48(4), 634-643. https://doi.org/10.1139/t10-094
- Chin, F.K. (1970), "Estimation of the ultimate load of piles not carried to failure", Proceedings of the 2nd Southeast Asian Conference on Soil Engineering, Singapore, June, pp. 81-90.
- CLS (2008), Technical code for building pile foundations, Chinese Local Standard JGJ 94-2008; China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing, China. [In Chinese]
- CNS (2011), Code for design of building foundations, Chinese National Standard GB50007-2011; China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing, China. [In Chinese]
- Davisson, M.T. (1972), "High capacity piles", Proceedings of the Lecture Series on Innovations in Foundation Construction, ASCE, Illinois Section, Chicago, IL, USA, March, pp. 81-112.
- DeBeer, E.E. (1970), "Experimental determination of the shape factors and bearing capacity factors of sand", Geotechnique, 20(4), 387-411. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19184.108.40.2067
- Derbyshire, E., Meng, X.M., Wang, J.T., Zhou, Z.Q. and Li, B.X. (1995), "Collapse loess on the Loess Plateau of China", In: Genesis and Properties of Collapsible Soils (E. Derbyshire, T. Dijkstra and I.J. Smalley Eds.), Kluwer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, pp. 267-293.
- Dithinde, M., Phoon, K.K., Wet, M.D. and Retief, J.V. (2011), "Characterization of model uncertainty in the static pile design formula", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 137(1), 70-85. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000401
- Fuller, F.M. and Hoy, H.E. (1970), "Pile load tests including quick load test method, conventional methods, and interpretations", Highway Research Board, Research Record 333; Washington, D.C., USA, pp. 74-86.
- Gao, G.R. (1988), "Formation and development of the structure of collapsing loess in China", Eng. Geol., 25(2-4), 235-245. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7952(88)90029-4
- Hirany, A. and Kulhawy, F.H. (1988), "Conduct and interpretation of load tests on drilled shaft foundations: Detailed guidelines", Report No. EPRI EL-5915; Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto, CA, USA, pp. 272-273.
- Hirany, A. and Kulhawy, F.H. (1989), "Interpretation of load tests on drilled shafts. II: Axial uplift", In: Foundation Engineering: Current Principles and Practices (F.H. Kulhawy Eds.), New York, NY, USA, pp. 1150-1159.
- Hirany, A. and Kulhawy, F.H. (2002), "On the interpretation of drilled foundation load test results", In: Deep Foundations (M.W. O'Neill and F.C. Townsend Eds.), ASCE, Reston, VA, USA, pp. 1018-1028.
- Housel, W.S. (1966), "Pile load capacity: Estimates and test results", J. Soil Mech. Found. Div., 92(SM4), 1-30.
- Hwang, H., Wang, L. and Yuan, Z. (2000), "Comparison of liquefaction potential of loess in Lanzhou, China, and Memphis, USA", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 20(5-8), 389-395. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(00)00088-9
- Kulhawy, F.H., Trautmann, C.H., Beech, J.F., O'Rourke, T.D. and McGuire W. (1983), "Transmission line structure foundation for uplift-compression loading", Report No. EPRI-EL-2870; Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto, CA, USA.
Liang, Q.G., Wu, X.Y., Li, C.Q. and Wang, L.L. (2014), "Mechanical analysis using the unconfined penetration test on the tensile strength of
$Q_3$loess around Lanzhou City, China", Eng. Geol., 183, 324-329. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2014.10.016
- Marcos, M.C.M., Chen, Y.J. and Kulhawy, F.H. (2013), "Evaluation of compression load test interpretation criteria for driven precast concrete pile capacity", KSCE J. Civ. Eng., 17(5), 1008-1022. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-013-0262-8
- Nouaouria, M.S., Guenfoud, M. and Lafifi, B. (2008), "Engineering properties of loess in Algeria", Eng. Geol., 99(1-2), 85-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2008.01.013
- O'Rourke, T.D. and Kulhawy, F.H. (1985), "Observations on load tests on drilled shafts", In Drilled piers and caissons II (C.N. Baker Eds.), ASCE, New York, NY, USA, pp. 113-128.
- Qian, Z.Z., Lu, X.L., Yang, W.Z. and Cui, Q. (2014a), "Behaviour of micropiles in collapsible loess under tension or compression load", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 7(5), 477-493. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2014.7.5.477
- Qian, Z.Z., Lu, X.L. and Yang, W.Z. (2014b), "Axial uplift behavior of drilled shafts in Gobi gravel", Geotech. Test. J., 37(2), 205-217.
- Qian, Z.Z., Lu, X.L., Han, X. and Tong, R.M. (2015), "Interpretation of uplift load tests on belled piers in Gobi gravel", Can. Geotech. J., 52(7), 992-998. https://doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2014-0075
- Pacheco, M.P., Danziger, F.A.B. and Pinto, C.P. (2008), "Design of shallow foundations under tensile loading for transmission line towers: an overview", Eng. Geol., 101(3-4), 226-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2008.06.002
- Ryashchenko, T.G., Akulovaa, V.V. and Erbaeva, M.A. (2008), "Loessial soils of Priangaria, Transbaikalia, Mongolia, and Northwestern China", Quaternary Int., 179(1), 90-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.quaint.2007.06.035
- Terzaghi, K. and Peck, R.B. (1967), Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice, (2nd Ed.), Wiley, New York, NY, USA.
- Tomlinson, M.J. (1977), Pile Design and Construction Practice (A Viewpoint Publication), Cement & Concrete Association of Great Britain, London, UK.
- Van der Veen, C. (1953), "Bearing capacity of a pile", Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Zurich, Switzerland, August, International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, London, UK. Vol. 2, pp. 85-90.
- Wen, B.P. and Yan, Y.J. (2014), "Influence of structure on shear characteristics of the unsaturated loess in Lanzhou, China", Eng. Geol., 168, 46-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2013.10.023
- Xu, L., Dai, F.C., Tu, X.B., Tham, L.G., Zhou, Y.F. and Iqbal, J. (2014), "Landslides in a loess platform, North-West China", Landslides, 11(6), 993-1005. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10346-013-0445-x
- Yuan, Z.X. and Wang, L.M. (2009), "Collapsibility and seismic settlement of loess", Eng. Geol., 105(1-2), 119-123. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2008.12.002
- Closure to “Discussion of ‘Axial Uplift Behavior of Belled Piers in Sloping Ground’ by F. A. B. Danziger, C. Pereira Pinto, A. P. Ruffier, and M. P. Pacheco” vol.42, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1520/GTJ20180048
- Comparative Field Tests on Straight-Sided and Belled Piers on Sloping Ground under Combined Uplift and Lateral Loads vol.145, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0001991
Supported by : State Grid Corporation of China