- Volume 56 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of antibacterial and therapeutic effects of egg-white lysozyme against Salmonella Typhimurium in ICR mice infected with Salmonella Typhimurium
난백 유래 라이소자임의 마우스 살모넬라증에 대한 항균 및 치료 효과
- Kim, Hee-Gyu (Uiryeong High School) ;
- Hwang, Jae-Seung (Jinju High School) ;
- Jae, Woo-Young (Jinju High School) ;
- Son, Song-Ee (College of Veterinary Medicine and Institute of Animal Medicine, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Hu-Jang (College of Veterinary Medicine and Institute of Animal Medicine, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2016.04.01
- Accepted : 2016.05.17
- Published : 2016.06.30
Salmonellosis is a major bacterial zoonosis that causes self-limited enteritis in animals and foodborne disease and typhoid fever in humans. Recently, multi-drug-resistant strains of Salmonella spp. have increased and caused more serious problems in public health. The present study investigated the antibacterial effects of egg-white lysozyme (EWL) against Salmonella (S.) Typhimurium and the therapeutic effects of EWL for murine salmonellosis. Evaluation of the antibacterial effects of EWL against S. Typhimurium revealed a minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) and minimum bactericidal concentration (MBC) of EWL of 6.25 and
- Andremont A, Fleck F. What to do about resistant bacteria in the food-chain? Bull World Health Organ 2015, 93, 217-218. https://doi.org/10.2471/BLT.15.030415
- Andrews JM. Determination of minimum inhibitory concentrations. J Antimicrob Chemother 2001, 48 (Suppl 1), 5-16. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/48.suppl_1.5
- Anton PA, Kemp JA, Butler T, Jacobs MR. Comparative efficacies of ceftriaxone, moxalactam, and ampicillin in experimental Salmonella typhimurium infection. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1982, 22, 312-315. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.22.2.312
- Bagcigil AF, Ikiz S, Dokuzeylu B, Basaran B, Or E, Ozgur NY. Fecal shedding of Salmonella spp. in dogs. J Vet Med Sci 2007, 69, 775-777. https://doi.org/10.1292/jvms.69.775
- Bartfay WJ, Bartfay E, Johnson JG. Gram-negative and Gram-positive antibacterial properties of the whole plant extract of willow herb (Epilobium angustifolium). Biol Res Nurs 2012, 14, 85-89. https://doi.org/10.1177/1099800410393947
Berger LR, Weiser RS. The
$\beta$-glucosaminidase activity of egg-white lysozyme. Biochim Biophys Acta 1957, 26, 517-521. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-3002(57)90098-7
- Bravo MV, Bunout D, Leiva L, de la Maza MP, Barrera G, de la Maza J, Hirsch S. Effect of probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii on prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea in adult outpatients with amoxicillin treatment. Rev Med Chil 2008, 136, 981-988.
- Carrillo W, Garcia-Ruiz A, Recio I, Moreno-Arribas MV. Antibacterial activity of hen egg white lysozyme modified by heat and enzymatic treatments against oenological lactic acid bacteria and acetic acid bacteria. J Food Prot 2014, 77, 1732-1739. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-14-009
- Cegielska-Radziejewska R, Le nierowski G, Kijowski J. Properties and application of egg white lysozyme and its modified preparations - a review. Pol J Food Nutr Sci 2008, 58, 5-10.
Choi D, Chon JW, Kim HS, Kim DH, Lim JS, Yim JH, Seo KH. Incidence, antimicrobial resistance, and molecular characteristics of nontyphoidal Salmonella including extended-spectrum
$\beta$-lactamase producers in retail chicken meat. J Food Prot 2015, 78, 1932-1937. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-15-145
- Collado MC, Isolauri E, Salminen S, Sanz Y. The impact of probiotic on gut health. Curr Drug Metab 2009, 10, 68-78. https://doi.org/10.2174/138920009787048437
- Cooper S, Hsieh ML, Guenther B. Mode of peptidoglycan synthesis in Salmonella typhimurium: single-strand insertion. J Bacteriol 1988, 170, 3509-3512. https://doi.org/10.1128/jb.170.8.3509-3512.1988
- Derde M, Lechevalier V, Guerin-Dubiard C, Cochet MF, Jan S, Baron F, Gautier M, Vie V, Nau F. Hen egg white lysozyme permeabilizes Escherichia coli outer and inner membranes. J Agric Food Chem 2013, 61, 9922-9929. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf4029199
- Ellison RT 3rd, Giehl TJ. Killing of Gram-negative bacteria by lactoferrin and lysozyme. J Clin Invest 1991, 88, 1080-1091. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI115407
- Food Safety Information Portal. Foodborne disease outbreaks by year and cause substance: 2011-2015. Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (KR), Cheongju, 2016.
- Gharieb RM, Tartor YH, Khedr MHE. Non-typhoidal Salmonella in poultry meat and diarrhoeic patients: prevalence, antibiogram, virulotyping, molecular detection and sequencing of class I integrons in multidrug resistant strains. Gut Pathog 2015, 7, 34. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13099-015-0081-1
- Gill AO, Holley RA. Interactive inhibition of meat spoilage and pathogenic bacteria by lysozyme, nisin and EDTA in the presence of nitrite and sodium chloride at 24 degrees C. Int J Food Microbiol 2003, 80, 251-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(02)00171-X
- Hughey VL, Johnson EA. Antimicrobial activity of lysozyme against bacteria involved in food spoilage and food-borne disease. Appl Envron Microbiol 1987, 53, 2165-2170.
- Katoh R, Matsushita S, Shimojima Y, Ishitsuka R, Sadamasu K, Kai A. Serovars and drug-resistance of Salmonella strains isolated from domestic chicken meat in Tokyo (1992-2012). Kansenshogaku Zasshi 2015, 89, 46-52. https://doi.org/10.11150/kansenshogakuzasshi.89.46
- Kim DH, Lee JJ, Lee JJ, Kim DG, Kim G, Lee HJ, Min W, Rhee MH, Chang HH, Kim S. Antibacterial and intracellular clearance effect of Saururus chinensis Baill water extract against Salmonella typhimurium. J Agric Life Sci 2011, 44, 111-119.
- Kim JM, Marshall MR, Cornell JA, Preston JF, Wei CI. Antibacterial activity of carvacrol, citral, and geraniol against Salmonella typhimurium in culture medium and on fish cubes. J Food Sci 1995, 60, 1364-1368. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1995.tb04592.x
- Kim S, Fung DY. Antibacterial effect of water-soluble arrowroot (Puerariae radix) tea extracts on foodborne pathogens in ground beef and mushroom soup. J Food Prot 2004, 67, 1953-1956. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-67.9.1953
- Lee YE, Cha CN, Park EK, Kim K, Lee HJ. Evaluation of antibacterial and therapeutic effects of a sodium salts mixture against Salmonella typhimurium in murine salmonellosis. J Food Hyg Saf 2011, 26, 222-226.
- Masschalck B, Van Houdt R, Van Haver EGR, Michiels CW. Inactivation of Gram-negative bacteria by lysozyme, denatured lysozyme, and lysozyme-derived peptides under high hydrostatic pressure. Appl Environ Microbiol 2001, 67, 339-344. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.67.1.339-344.2001
- Meldrum RJ, Wilson IG. Salmonella and Campylobacter in United Kingdom retail raw chicken in 2005. J Food Prot 2007, 70, 1937-1939. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-70.8.1937
- Molla B, Alemayehu D, Salah W. Sources and distribution of Salmonella serotypes isolated from food animals, slaughterhouse personnel and retail meat products in Ethiopia: 1997-2002. Ethiop J Health Dev 2003, 17, 63-70.
- Mosquito S, Ochoa TJ, Cok J, Cleary TG. Effect of bovine lactoferrin in Salmonella ser. Typhimurium infection in mice. Biometals 2010, 23, 515-521. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10534-010-9325-1
- Ozogul Y, Kuley E, Ucar Y, Ozogul F. Antimicrobial impacts of essential oils on food borne-pathogens. Recent Pat Food Nutr Agric 2015, 7, 53-61. https://doi.org/10.2174/2212798407666150615112153
- Patchanee P, Crenshaw TD, Bahnson PB. Oral sodium chlorate, topical disinfection, and younger weaning age reduce Salmonella enterica shedding in pigs. J Food Prot 2007, 70, 1798-1803. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-70.8.1798
- Cummings PL, Sorvillo F, Kuo T. The burden of salmonellosis in the United States. In: Mahmoud BSM (ed.). Salmonella - A Dangerous Foodborne Pathogen. pp. 2-3. InTech, Rijeka, 2012.
- Rahayu SI, Nurdiana N, Santoso S. The effect of curcumin and cotrimoxazole in Salmonella Typhimurium infection in vivo. ISRN Microbiol 2013, 2013, 601076.
- Redmond EC, Griffith CJ. Consumer food handling in the home: a review of food safety studies. J Food Prot 2003, 66, 130-161. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-66.1.130
- Scallan E, Hoekstra RM, Angulo FJ, Tauxe RV, Widdowson MA, Roy SL, Jones JL, Griffin PM. Foodborne illness acquired in the United States-major pathogens. Emerg Infect Dis 2011, 17, 7-15. https://doi.org/10.3201/eid1701.P11101
- Singh AP, Prabha V, Rishi P. Value addition in the efficacy of conventional antibiotics by nisin against Salmonella. PLoS One 2013, 8, e76844. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0076844
- Wu J, Hu Y, Du C, Piao J, Yang L, Yang X. The effect of recombinant human lactoferrin from the milk of transgenic cows on Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium infection in mice. Food Funct 2016, 7, 308-314. https://doi.org/10.1039/C5FO00817D
- Yang HJ, Lee SW. Antimicrobial activities of lactoferrin and its hydrolysate obtained from the colostrum of Hanwoo and Holstein cattle. J Anim Sci Technol 2006, 48, 595-602. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.4.595