- Volume 56 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Surgical treatment of spinal cord compression in client owned dogs with different grades of neurological dysfunction
- Kuricova, Maria ;
- Ledecky, Valent ;
- Liptak, Tomas
- Received : 2015.12.26
- Accepted : 2016.04.18
- Published : 2016.06.30
Our retrospective study reports the clinical findings and population characteristics of 81 surgically treated dogs for spinal cord compression. We compared the outcome of dogs with different grades of neurological dysfunction due to spinal cord compression and focused on the long-term outcome of surgical treatment, for which there are only a few recent records. We recorded a 13.6% recurrence, regardless of the degree of dysfunction. However, the degree of dysfunction negatively affected the recovery length.
canine neurological diseases;decompression surgery;modified Griffith's score
- Barrière G, Leblond H, Provencher J, Rossignol S. Prominent role of the spinal central pattern generator in the recovery of locomotion after partial spinal cord injuries. J Neurosci 2008, 28, 3976-3987. https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.5692-07.2008
- Bergknut N, Egenvall A, Hagman R, Gustas P, Hazewinkel AW, Meij B. Incidence of intervertebral disc degeneration-related diseases and associated mortality rates in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012, 240, 1300-1309. https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.240.11.1300
- Flegel T, Boettcher IC, Ludewig E, Kiefer I, Oechtering G, Bottcher P. Partial lateral corpectomy of the thoracolumbar spine in 51 dogs: assessment of slot morphometry and spinal cord decompression. Vet Surg 2011, 40, 14-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-950X.2010.00747.x
- Hankin EJ, Jerram RM, Walker AM, King MD, Warman CGA. Transarticular facet screw stabilization and dorsal laminectomy in 26 dogs with degenerative lumbosacral stenosis with instability. Vet Surg 2012, 41, 611-619. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-950X.2012.01002.x
- Henke D, Vandevelde M, Doherr MG, Stockli M, Forterre F. Correlations between severity of clinical signs and histopathological changes in 60 dogs with spinal cord injury associated with acute thoracolumbar intervertebral disc disease. Vet J 2013, 198, 70-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tvjl.2013.04.003
- Kube SA, Olby NJ. Managing acute spinal cord injuries. Compend Contin Educ Vet 2008, 30, 496-506.
- Levine JM, Levine GJ, Porter BF, Topp T, Noble-Haeusslein LJ. Naturally occurring disk herniation in dogs: an opportunity for pre-clinical spinal cord injury research. J Neurotrauma 2011, 28, 675-688. https://doi.org/10.1089/neu.2010.1645
- Necas A. Clinical aspects of surgical treatment of thoracolumbar disc disease in dogs. A retrospective study of 300 cases. Acta Vet Brno 1999, 68, 121-130. https://doi.org/10.2754/avb199968020121
- Olby N, Levine J, Harris T, Muñana K, Skeen T, Sharp N. Long term functional outcome of dogs with severe injuries of the thoracolumbar spinal cord: 87 cases (1996-2001). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2003, 222, 762-769. https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.2003.222.762
- Packer RM, Hendricks A, Volk HA, Shihab NK, Burn CC. How long and low can you go? Effect of conformation on the risk of thoracolumbar intervertebral disc extrusion in domestic dogs. PLoS One 2013, 8, e69650. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0069650
- Padilha Filho JG, Selmi AL. Retrospective study of thoracolumbar ventral fenestration through intercostal thoracotomy and paracostal laparotomy in the dog. Braz J Vet Res Anim Sci 1999, 36, 223-227.
- Park EH, White GA, Tieber LM. Mechanisms of injury and emergency care of acute spinal cord injury in dogs and cats. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 2012, 22, 160-178. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-4431.2012.00723.x
- Scott HW. Hemilaminectomy for the treatment of thoracolumbar disc disease in the dog: a follow-up study of 40 cases. J Small Anim Pract 1997, 38, 488-494. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.1997.tb03303.x
- Sekhon LHS, Fehlings MG. Epidemiology, demographics, and pathophysiology of acute spinal cord injury. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2001, 26 (24 Suppl), S2-12. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200112151-00002
- Sharp NJH, Wheeler SJ. Small Animal Spinal Disorders: Diagnosis and Surgery. 2nd ed. pp. 722, Elsevier, St Louis, 2005.
- Sukhiani HR, Parent JM, Atilola MA, Holmberg DL. Intervertebral disk disease in dogs with signs of back pain alone: 25 cases (1986-1993). J Am Vet Med Assoc 1996, 209, 1275-1279.
Supported by : Slovak academy of Sciences