- Volume 12 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Parental Attribution and Self-Perception in Parenting Roles to Parenting Success or Failure Situations among Mothers of Toddlers
걸음마기 영아 어머니의 양육수행 성공여부에 따른 양육행동 귀인과 부모역할 자기인식의 관계
- Received : 2016.04.15
- Accepted : 2016.06.02
- Published : 2016.06.30
The purpose of this study was to examine the relationship between parental attribution and self-perception in parenting roles according to parenting success or failure situations. A total of 138 mothers who have toddlers in Seoul and other big cities in Korea completed questionnaires, and data were analyzed by paired t-test, Pearson's correlation coefficient, Fisher's Z score, and multi-regression. The results are as follows: First, mothers in parenting success situations showed higher parental attribution than mothers in parenting failure situations. Second, correlations between parental attribution and self-perception in parenting roles turned out to be significantly different between parenting success situations and failure situations. Third, both internal attribution such as ability and effort, and external attribution such as child behavior and task difficulty, significantly predicted self-perception in parenting roles including equilibrium feeling, competence, satisfaction and parenting investment, especially in parenting failure situations. The implications of the difference in parental attribution between parenting success and failure situations have been discussed.
Parenting Success Situation;Parenting Failure Situation;Parental Attribution;Parenting
- Johnston, C., & Mash, E. J. (1989). A measure of parenting satisfaction and efficacy. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 18(2), 167-175.
- Lenhard, W. & Lenhard, A. (2014). Hypothesis Tests for Comparing Correlations. available: Retrieved April 3, 2016 from http://www.psychometrica.de/correlation.
- Leung, J. T. Y., & Sheck, D. T. L. (2015). Parental attributions of children's success and failure and family processes in poor Chinese families. Journal child family study, 24(8), 2191-2203. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-014-0022-5
- MacPhee, D., Benson, J. B., & Bullock, D. (1986, April). Influences on maternal self-erceptions. Paper presented at the Fifth Biennial International Conference on Infant Studies, Los Angeles.
- MacPhee, D., Seybold, J., & Fritz, J. (n.d.). Parental attributions and self-esteem among mothers of delayed children. Unpublished manuscript.
- Mondell, S., & Tyler, F. (1981). Parental competence and styles of problem-solving/play behavior with children. Developmental Psychology, 17(1), 73-78. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16220.127.116.11
- Rotter, J. B. (1990). Social learning and clinical psychology. Englewood cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Scheel, M. J., & Rieckmam, T. (1998). An empirically derived description of self-efficacy and empowerment for parents of children identified as psychologically disorderd. The American Journal of Ffamily Therapy, 26(1), 15-27. https://doi.org/10.1080/01926189808251083
- Simons, R. L., Beaman, J. Conger, R. D., & Chao, W. (1993). Childhood Experience, Conceptions of Parenting, and Attitudes of Spouse as Determinants of Parental Behavior. Journal of Marriage and Family, 55(1), 91-106. https://doi.org/10.2307/352961
- Steinberg, L., Elmen, J., & Mount, N. (1989). Authoritative parenting, Psychological maturity, and academic success among adolescents. Child Development, 60(6), 1424-1436. https://doi.org/10.2307/1130932
- Teti, D. M., & Gelfand, D. M. (1991). Behavioral competence among mother of infant in the first year: The mediational role of maternal self-efficacy. Child Development, 62(5), 918-929. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131143
- Weiner, B. (1979). A theory of motivation for some classroom experiences. Journal of Educational Psychology, 71(1), 3-25. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0618.104.22.168
- Weiner, B. (1985). An attributional theory of achievement motivation and emotion. Psychological Review. 92(4), 548-573. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.92.4.548
- 도현심, 김지신 (1997). 사회적지지 및 부모역할만족도와 어머니의 양육행동. 대한가정학회지, 35(6), 127-135.
- 문혁준 (2001). 부모역할만족도와 양육태도에 관한 연구. 대한가정학회지, 39(1), 205-219.
- 박성연, 서소정, Bornstein (2005).어머니-영아간의 상호작용방식이 영아발달에 미치는 영향. 한국아동학회지, 26(5), 15-30
- 박수연 (2005). 영아의 성 및 연령에 따른 어머니의 양육수행에 대한 귀인, 부모역할에 대한 인식 및 양육지식. 이화여자대학교 대학원 석사학위논문.
- 송경애 (2009). 양육환경과 귀인성향에 대한 고찰. 한국여성교양학회지, 18, 3-20.
- 안지영 (2001). 2-3세 자녀를 둔 어머니의 양육신념, 효능감 및 스트레스가 양육행동에 미치는 영향. 이화여자대학교 대학원 박사학위논문.
- 우대식 (1992). 어머니의 취업유무에 따른 양육태도와 아동의 문제행동에 대한 지각과의 관계. 경남대학교 교육대학원 석사학위논문.
- 이송은 (2011). 영아기 자녀를 둔 어머니의 양육지식, 양육수행귀인 및 부모역할 인식과 그에 따른 양육행동. 이화여자대학교 대학원 석사학위논문.
- 최형성, 정옥분 (2000). 어머니의 양육 효능감 척도의 개발. 아동학회지, 22(3), 1-16.
- Azar, S. T., Siegel, B. R., & Cote, L. R. (1993, March). The relationship between parents and children's attributions for academic success failure. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association, Washington, DC.
- Becker, W. C. (1964). Consequences of different kinds of parental discipline. In M. L. Hoffman & L. W. Hoffman (Eds.), Review of child development research (Vol. 1, pp. 169-208). NY:Russell Sage Foundation.
- Bondy, E. M. & Mash, E. J. (1999). Parenting efficacy, perceived control over caregiving failure. And mothers' reactions to preschool children's misbehavior. Child Study Journal, 29(3), 157-173.
- Bornstein, M. H., & Cote, L. R. (2003). Cultural and parenting cognitions in acculturating cultures. Journal of cross-cultural psychology, 34(3), 350-373. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022022103034003007
- Bornstein, M. H., Tamis-Lemonda, C. S., Pascual, L., Haynes, O. M., Painter, K., Galperin, C., et al., (1996). Ideas about parenting Argentina, France, and United States, International Journal of Behavioral Development, 19(2), 347-367. https://doi.org/10.1177/016502549601900207
- DeWolff, M. S., & van IJzendoor, M. H. (1997). Sensitivity and attachment: A meta-analysis an parental antecedents of infant attachment. Child development, 68(4), 571-591. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.1997.tb04218.x
- Dunn, J. (1993). Young children's close relationships. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Erickson, E. (1950). Childhood and Society. NY: Norton.
- Fisher, J. C., & Mason, R. L. (1981). The analysis of multicollinear data in criminology. In J. A. Fox (Ed.), Methods in quantitative criminology (pp. 99-125). NY: Academic Press.
- Guidubaldi, J. & Cleminshaw, H. K. (1994). Parenting satisfaction scale: Manual. San Antonio, TX: Psychological Corporation.
- Himelstein, S., Graham, S., & Weiner, B. (1991). An Attributional Analysis of Maternal Beliefs about the Importance of Child-rearing Practices. Child Development, 62(2), 301-301. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131004