- Volume 12 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Relations Among Teachers' Beliefs Regarding Self-control, Preschoolers' Behavioral Self-regulation and School Readiness : The Gender Difference
자기조절에 대한 교사신념, 유아의 행동적 자기조절 및 학교준비도의 관계 : 유아 성별에 따른 차이
Sung, Miyoung;Chang, Young Eun;Son, Seunghee Claire
- Received : 2016.04.02
- Accepted : 2016.06.07
- Published : 2016.06.30
The current study examined the relations among teachers' beliefs, behavioral self-regulation and school readiness of preschoolers. The study sample included 229 preschoolers aged 3 to 5 attending child care centers located in Seoul and Gyeonggi area of Korea. Using Structural Equation Modeling, the paths from teachers' beliefs to children's school readiness via the mediation of their behavioral self-regulation were examined. Children's self-regulation was directly assessed using Head-to-Toe Tasks. The results showed that teachers' stronger beliefs in and responsibility for children's self-regulation and interpersonal skills significantly predicted greater behavioral self-regulation among children, which in turn, significantly influenced greater social skills and work-related skills. The contribution of teachers' beliefs and behavioral regulation to social skills and work-related skills was positive and stronger for boys.
Teachers' Beliefs;Behavioral Self-regulation;School Readiness
- 김수영 (1992). 유치원 교사의 교육신념과 교수행위에 관한 연구. 이화여자대학교 대학원 박사학위논문.
- 김영숙, 김성수 (2001). 유아 놀이에 대한 교사의 신념 분석: Q-방법론적 접근. 아동학회지, 22(4), 257-269.
- 김윤희, 오상철 (2010). 교사의 정서적 지원과 교사신념이 학생의 자기조절학습 전략 지원 수업행동에 미치는 영향. 한국교원교육연구, 27(2), 263-282.
- 서지은, 이선미 (2014). 영아교사의 놀이신념이 교사-영아 상호작용에 미치는 영향: 놀이교수효능감의 매개효과를 중심으로. 열린유아교육연구, 19(6), 129-150.
- 성소영, 홍지영 (2010). 유아의 성별에 따른 자기 조절력과 또래 상호작용. 과학논집, 36, 37-49.
- 송주연, 장미연 (2014). 유아의 자기조절력 및 자기효능감이 문제행동에 미치는 영향. 한국영유아보육학, 84, 121-142.
- 양옥승, 이정란 (2003). 유아의 자기조절력 관련변인간의 관계 분석. 교육방법연구, 15(2), 145-161.
- 유미 (2008). 어머니의 놀이신념과 정서표현성이 유아의 놀이성에 미치는 영향. 숙명여자대학교대학원 석사학위논문.
- 이정미 (2007). 발달에 적합한 실제에 대한 보육교사의 신념과 교사-영아 상호작용간의 관계. 덕성여자대학교 교육대학원 석사학위논문.
- 장윤희, 문혁준 (2011). 유아의 리더십과 자기조절능력이 또래 놀이행동에 미치는 영향. 한국가정관리학회지, 29(2), 73-87.
- 정혜진, 이완정 (2009). 유아의 기질과 자기조절능력에 따른 문제행동. 한국가정관리학회지, 27(3), 159-170.
- 지경진, 이강이 (2009). '머리/발 과제'로 측정한 유아의 행동조절 능력과 사회적 적응. 아동학회지, 30(6), 591-605.
- 최나야, 이순형 (2007). 한글 자음과 모음에 대한 유아의 지식이 단어 읽기에 미치는 영향. 한국가정관리학회지, 25(3), 151-168.
- Abry, T., Latham, S., Bassok, D., & LoCasale-Crouch, J. (2015). Preschool and kindergarten teachers' beliefs about early school competencies: Misalignment matters for kindergarten adjustment. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 31(2), 78-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecresq.2015.01.001
- Adams, A. M., Bourke, L., & Willis, C. (1999). Working memory and spoken language comprehension in young children. International Journal of Psychology, 34(5-6), 364-373. https://doi.org/10.1080/002075999399701
- Baumeister, R. F., & Vohs, K. D. (2004). Handbook of self-regulation: Research, theory, and applications. NY: Guilford Press.
- Blair, C. (2002). School readiness: Integrating cognition and emotion in a neurobiological conceptualization of children's functioning at school entry. American Psychologist, 57(2), 111-127. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.57.2.111
- Blair, C., & Razza, R. P. (2007). Relating effortful control, executive function, and false belief understanding to emerging math and literacy ability in kindergarten. Child Development, 78(2), 647-663. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2007.01019.x
- Bronson, M. (2000). Self-regulation in early childhood: Nature and nurture. NY: Guilford Press.
- Bronson, M. B., Tivnan, T., & Seppanen, P. S. (1995). Relations between teacher and classroom activity variables and the classroom behaviors of prekindergarten children in Chapter 1 funded programs. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 16(2), 253-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/0193-3973(95)90035-7
- Dickinson, D. K., & McCabe, A. (2001). Bringing it all together: The multiple origins, skills, and environmental supports of early literacy. Learning Disabilities Research and Practice, 16(4), 186-202. https://doi.org/10.1111/0938-8982.00019
- Dowsett, S. M., & Livesey, D. J. (2000). The development of inhibitory control in preschool children: Effects of 'executive skills' training. Developmental Psychobiology, 36(2), 161-174. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2302(200003)36:2<161::AID-DEV7>3.0.CO;2-0
- Gathercole, S. E., Alloway, T. P., Willis, C., & Adams, A. (2005). Working memory in children with reading disabilities. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 93(3), 265-281.
- Graue, E. (2010). Reimagining Kindergarten. Education Digest: Essential Readings Condensed for Quick Review, 75(7), 28-34.
- Hatcher, B., Nuner, J., & Paulsel, J. (2012). Kindergarten readiness and preschools: Teachers' and parents' beliefs within and across programs. Early Childhood Research & Practice, 14(2), n2.
- Howse, R. B., Calkins, S. D., Anastopoulos, A. D., Keane, S. P., & Shelton, T. L. (2003). Regulatory contributors to children's kindergarten achievement. Early Education & Development, 14(1), 101-119. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15566935eed1401_7
- Jarrold, C., & Bayliss, D. M. (2007). Variation in working memory due to typical and atypical development. In A. R. A. Conway, C. Jarrold, M. J. Kane, A. Miyake, & J. N. Towse (Eds.), Variation in working memory (pp. 134-161). NY: Oxford University Press.
- Kail, R. V. (2003). Information processing and memory. In M. H. Bornstein, L. Davidson, C. L. M. Keyes, & K. A. Moore (Eds.), Well-being. positive development across the life course (pp. 269-280). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Kochanska, G., Murray, K., Jacques, T. Y., & Koenig, A. L. (1996). Inhibitory control in young children and its role in emerging internalization. Child Development, 67(2), 490-507. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131828
- Ladd, G. W., Birch, S. H., & Buhs, E. S. (1999). Children's social and scholastic lives in kindergarten: Related spheres of influence?. Child Development, 70(6), 1373-1400. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8624.00101
- Lin, H. L., Lawrence, F. R., & Gorrell, J. (2003). Kindergarten teachers' views of children's readiness for school. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 18(2), 225-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-2006(03)00028-0
- Lonigan, C. J., Farver, J. M., Nakamoto, J., & Eppe, S. (2013). Developmental trajectories of preschool early literacy skills: A comparison of language-minority and monolingual-English children. Developmental Psychology, 49(10), 1943-1957. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0031408
- Matthews, J. S., Ponitz, C. C., & Morrison, F. J. (2009). Early gender differences in self-regulation and academic achievement. Journal of Educational Psychology, 101(3), 689-704. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0014240
- McClelland, M. M., Acock, A. C., & Morrison, F. J. (2006). The impact of kindergarten learningrelated skills on academic trajectories at the end of elementary school. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 21(4), 471-490. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecresq.2006.09.003
- McClelland, M. M., Morrison, F. J., & Holmes, D. L. (2000). Children at risk for early academic problems: The role of learning-related social skills. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 15(3), 307-329. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-2006(00)00069-7
- McMullen, M., Elicker, J., Wang, J., Erdiller, Z., Lee, S. M., Lin, C. H., et al. (2005). Comparing beliefs about appropriate practice among early childhood education and care professionals from the U.S., China, Taiwan, Korea and Turkey. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 20(4), 451-464. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecresq.2005.10.005
- Miech, R., Essex, M. J., & Goldsmith, H. H. (2001). Socioeconomic status and the adjustment to school: The role of self-regulation during early childhood. Sociology of Education, 74(2), 102-120. https://doi.org/10.2307/2673165
- Morrison, F. J., & Cooney, R. R. (2001). Parenting and academic achievement: Multiple paths to early literacy. In J. G. Borkowski, S. L. Ramey & M. Bristol-Power (Eds.), Parenting and the child's world: Influences on academic, intellectual, and socioemotional development (pp. 141-160). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbuaum.
- Peters, D. L., Neisworth, J. T., & Yawkey, T. D. (1985). Early childhood education: From theory to practice. Monterey, CA: Brooks & Cole Publishing Company.
- Ponitz, C. C., McClelland, M. M., Jewkes, A. M., Connor, C. M., Farris, C. L., & Morrison, F. J. (2008). Touch your toes! Developing a direct measure of behavioral regulation in early childhood. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 23(2), 141-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecresq.2007.01.004
- Ponitz, C. C., McClelland, M. M., Matthews, J. M., & Morrison, F. J. (2009). A structured observation of behavioral self-regulation and its contribution to kindergarten outcomes. Developmental Psychology, 45(3), 605-619. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0015365
- Ready, D. D., LoGerfo, L. F., Burkam, D. T., & Lee, V. E. (2005). Explaining girls' advantage in kindergarten literacy learning: Do classroom behaviors make a difference?. The Elementary School Journal, 106(1), 21-38. https://doi.org/10.1086/496905
- Rimm-Kaufman, S. E., & Pianta, R. C. (2000). An ecological perspective on the transition to kindergarten: A theoretical framework to guide empirical research. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 21(3), 491-511. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0193-3973(00)00051-4
- Rimm-Kaufman, S. E., Storm, M. D., Sawyer, B. E., Pianta, R. C., & LaParo, K. M. (2006). The Teacher Belief Q-Sort: A measure of teachers' priorities in relation to disciplinary practices, teaching practices, and beliefs about children. Journal of School Psychology, 44(2), 141-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsp.2006.01.003
- Sax, L. (2001). Reclaiming kindergarten: Making kindergarten less harmful to boys. Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 2(1), 3-12. https://doi.org/10.1037/1524-9184.108.40.206
- Siegler, R. S., & Alibali, M. W. (2005). Children's thinking (4th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ:Prentice Hall.
- Son, S. H., Lee, K. & Sung, M. (2013). Links between preschoolers' behavioral regulation and school readiness skills: The role of child gender. Early Education & Development, 24(4), 468-490. https://doi.org/10.1080/10409289.2012.675548
- Spodek, B. (1985). Teaching in the early years (3rd ed). New Jersey: Prentice Hall, Inc.
- von Suchodoletz, A., Trommsdorff, G., Heikamp, T., Wieber, F., & Gollwitzer, P. M. (2009). Transition to school: The role of kindergarten children's behavior regulation. Learning and Individual Differences, 19(4), 561-566. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lindif.2009.07.006
- Weinberg, M. K., Tronick, E. Z., Cohn, J. F., & Olson, K. L. (1999). Gender differences in emotional expressivity and self-regulation during early infancy. Developmental Psychology, 35(1), 175-188. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16220.127.116.11
- Reciprocal Associations Between Inhibitory Control and Early Academic Skills: Evidence From a Nationally Representative Sample of Head Start Children pp.1556-6935, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/10409289.2019.1572382