- Volume 16 Issue 6
Hallyu in East Europe has been spread since the end of the 2000s and contributed to boost the familiarity and favorability of Korea. Hallyu in East Europe started from Romania and Hungary, Korean dramas and K-Pops spread to Bulgaria. Korea and Bulgaria established a diplomatic relations in 1990; however, people of both countries do not share enough information or knowledge on each other. This study aims to understand the meaning of Hallyu and the ways of building cultural relations through Hallyu based on the cognitions and attitudes toward Korea and Korean culture in Bulgaria. It conducted the Focus Group Discussions(FGD) for 24 Sofia residents in their 20s and 30s. The FGD questions were mainly on the level of familiarity and of impacts of Hallyu in Bulgaria. The Hallyu in Bulgaria is still not so popular although Hallyu has been promoted through the diverse activities of Korean Embassy, Sofia University, Korean language institutions, and the Hallyu fans. The economic and cultural impact of the Hallyu is not yet viable in Bulgaria. In order to be recognized as one of the foreign popular culture in Bulgaria, Hallyu should be promoted with various endeavors for Bulgarian people to experience Korean culture beyond Korean drama and K-Pops based on the understanding of socio-cultural characteristics of Bulgaria. Then, Hallyu will be spread by producing Korean dramas, films, and K-pops reflected by local cultural characteristics in Bulgaria and hybridity of Korean popular culture.
Bulgaria;Hallyu;K-POP;Business Hallyu;Nation's Image
- 신두섭, "한류 활성화를 위한 문화교류 거버넌스 구축 방안에 관한 연구," 문화경제연구, 제15권, 제2호, pp.103-125, 2012.
- J. E. Song, Considering Nation Branding as a Way to Build International Cultural Relations: The Case Study of the Korean Cultural Centers in the United States, Unpublished Dissertation: The Ohio State University, pp.1-394, 2010.
- G. Szondi, Central and eastern European public diplomacy. In Snow, N & Taylor, P. (Eds.) Handbook of public diplomacy, New York: Routledge Taylor & Francis Group, 2008.
- 김소영, "불가리아에서의 한류 현황과 고전문학 콘텐츠를 활용한 한국어교육의 실제," 겨레어문학, 제51집, pp.103-125, 2013.
- 한국국제교류재단, 지구촌한류현황, 2015.
- 윤선희, "신 한류의 동유럽 수용과 문화 정체성 확산의 작은 정치," 한국방송학보, 제28권, 제3호, pp.94-131, 2014.
- J. Tzvetkova, Bulgaria - Culture Smart!: The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture, Kuperard, 2015.
- 김기덕, "신한류 아이돌 음악과 한국대중음악시장의 생태계 균형에 관한 연구 2000-2014," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제15권, 제6호, pp.157-167, 2015.
- KOTRA, "아세안 휩쓰는 '경제한류'," Global Business Report 09-016, 2009.
- 송정은, 김익기, 장원호, "동남아지역의 '경제한류'", 지역사회학, 제15권, 제1호, pp.57-90, 2013.
- 김장현, 한류를 통한 국가이미지 제고방안, 제주평화연구원, 2012.
- C. Schneider, "The unrealized potential of cultural diplomacy: "Best practices" and what could be, if only...," Journal of Arts Management, Lawand Society, Vol.39, No.4, pp.260-279, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/10632920903449027
- V. Barova, "Subcultural Identities-Styles and Ideologies," Euxeinos, pp.28-38, 2013.
- 이일수, 주진오, "드라마 활용을 통한 한국어교육콘텐츠 개선방향," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제15권, 제4호, pp.45-55, 2015.
- 송정은, 남기범, 장원호, "한류의 지속을 위한 국제공동제작의 필요성: CJ E&M의 동남아 현지화 사례를 중심으로," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제6호, pp.339-354, 2014.
Supported by : 한국연구재단