- Volume 6 Issue 2
The use of inappropriate procurement methods to deliver construction projects has long been acknowledged as a major source of poor project performance and is particularly problematic for the Libyan Construction Industry. Poor procurement method selection has been recognised as a major contributory factor to frequent time and cost overruns. This paper offers a way of selecting specific procurement methods to maximize successful project performance. The methodology involves an intensive review of relevant literature, followed by a semi-structured questionnaire survey. The key findings of the study reveal that 11 out of its 12 common selection criteria exhibit a significant contribution to one or more project performance criteria (time, cost and quality). Project clients should therefore prioritise these criteria when selecting a design-bid-build method. Knowledge of the criteria that contribute positively to project performance will also enable clients to work out, prior to and during construction, the best measures and provisions for successful project outcomes.
Construction procurement;Design-bid-build;Multiple Regression;Procurement selection;project performance criteria
- Abdul Rashid, R., Mat Taib, I., Wan Ahmad, W.B., Nasid, M.A., Wan Ali, W.N. and Mohd Zainordin, Z. "Effect of procurement systems on the performance of construction projects", Padang, pp. 1-13, 2006
- Mohsini, R.A., Sirpala, R. and Davidson, C.H. "Procurement: A comparative analysis of construction management and traditional building processes ", 23, (5), pp. 285-290, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1080/09613219508727477
- Love, P., Davis, P., Baccarini, D., Wilson, G. and Lopez, R. "Procurement selection in the public sector: Atatle of two state ",, pp. 1-11, 2008.
- Mohsini, R. and Davidson, C.H. "Building procurement-key to improved performance", Building Research and Information, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 106-113, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1080/09613219108727107
- Love, P.E.D., Skitmore, M. and Earl, G. "Selecting a suitable procurement method for a building project", Construction Management and Economics, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 221-233, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1080/014461998372501
- Eriksson, P.E and Westerberg, M. "Effects of cooperative procurement procedures on construction project performance: A conceptual framework", International Journal of Project Management, 29, (2), pp. 197-208, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2010.01.003
- Gidado, K. "Enhancing the prime contractor's pre-construction planning", Journal of Construction Research, 5, (1), pp. 87-106, 2004 https://doi.org/10.1142/S1609945104000073
- Alhazmi, T. and McCaffer, R. "Project procurement system selection model", Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 126, no. 3, pp. 176-184, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2000)126:3(176)
- Chan, A.P.C., Yung, E.H.K., Lam, P.T.I., Tam, C.M. and Cheung, S.O. "Application of Delphi method in selection of procurement systems for construction projects", Construction Management and Economics, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 699-718, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1080/01446190110066128
- Wardani, M. A., Messner, J. I. and Horman, M. J. "Comparing procurement methods for design-build projects", Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 132, no. 3, pp. 230-238, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2006)132:3(230)
- Perkins, R. A. "Sources of Changes in Design-Build Contracts for a Governmental Owner", Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 135, (7), pp. 588-593, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2009)135:7(588)
- Public Project Authority (PPA), "Report on the implementation of buildings and infrastructures projects", Public Project Authorities, Management of Follow-up and Information, Tripoli, 2010.
- Tumi, A. S., Omran, A. and Pakir, A. H. "Causes of delay in construction industry in Libya", 2009, available at: http://www.itchannel.ro/faa/265_pdfsam_ICEA_FAA_2009.pdf (accessed: 12-May 2011)
- Ngab, A. S. "Libya-The construction industry - an overview",2011 Available at: http://enpub.fulton.asu.edu/cement/cbm_CI/CBMI_Separate_Articles/Article%2021.pdf, (Accessed: 30 August 2011)
- Patton, M. Q. Qualitative evaluation and research techniques, Newbury Park: Sage, 1990.
- Barnet, V. Sample Survey Principles and Method. Edward Arnold, London, 1991.
- Furtrell, D. "The ten reasons why surveys fail", Quality Progress, pp. 65-69, 1994
- Molenaar, K. R. and Songer, A.D. "Model for public sector design-build project selection", Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 124, (6), 467-79, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(1998)124:6(467)
- Luu, D.T., Thomas Ng, S. and Chen, S.E. "A case-based procurement advisory system for construction", Advances in Engineering Software, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 429-438, 2005.
- Ratnasabapathy, S., Rameezdeen, R. and Gamage, I. "Macro level factors affecting the construction procurement selection: A multi criteria model ",, pp. 581- 591, 2006.
- Al Khalil, M.I. "Selecting the appropriate project delivery method using AHP", International Journal of Project Management, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 464-469, 2002
- Bryde, D. and Brown, D. "The influence of a project performance measurement system on the success of a contract for maintaining motorways and trunk roads", Project Management Journal, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 57-65, 2004
- Bassioni, H.A., Price, A.D.F. and Hassan, T.M. "Performance measurement in construction", Journal of Management in Engineering, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 42-50, 2004.
- Ghadamsi, A. and Briamah, N. "The influence of procurement methods on project performance: A conceptual framework" The CIB International conference entitled: 'management of construction: research to practice, 26th -29th June 2012, Montreal, Canada, pp 1-6
- Tabachnick, B. G. and Fidell, L, S. Using Multivariate Statistics 5 th edn, 2006
- Pallant, J. A step by step guide to data analysis using the SPSS program. 4 th edn. UK, 2010.
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E. and Tatham, R. L. and Black, W. Multivariate Data Analysis with Readings. 6th edn. NJ: Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, 2006
- Bland J. and Altman D. "Statistics notes: Cronbach's alpha", BMJ. 1997; 314: 275, available at: http://www.bmj.com/content/314/7080/572 (Accessed: 20 July 2014).
- Braimah, N. "An investigation into the use of construction delay and disruption analysis methodologies", 2008. Available at: http://wlv.openrepository.com/wlv/bitstream/2436/38824/3/Braimah_PhD%20thesis.pdf (Accessed: 25-july-2014).
- Park, M., Ji, S., Lee, H. and Kim, W. "Strategies for Design-Build in Korea Using System Dynamics Modeling", Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 135, (11), pp. 1125-1137, 2009 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0000095
- Tookey, J., Murray, M., Hardcastle, C. and Langford, D. "Construction procurement routes: Re-defining the contours of construction procurement", Engineering Construction and Architectural Management, 8, (1), pp. 20-30, 2001.
- Chan, C.T.W. "Fuzzy procurement selection model for construction projects", Construction Management and Economics, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 611-618, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/01446190701209933
- Brook, M. Estimating and tendering for construction work. 3rd edn. Boston: Butterworth Heinemann, 2004
- Cruzbuy, "Scope of Work (SOW) Guide - UCSC Procurement Services", 2013, Available at: http://cruzbuy.ucsc.edu/howto/SOWGuide.pdf. (Accessed at 30 June 2013)
- Chan, D. W. M, and Kumaraswamy, M. M., "Compressing construction duration: Lesson learned from Hong Kong building projects", International journal of project management, 20, (1), pp 23-35, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-7863(00)00032-6
- Songer A. D. and Molenaar K.R. "Project Characteristics for Successful Public-Sector Design - Build", Journal of Construction Engineering and Management ASCE, 123, (1), pp. 34-40, 1997 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(1997)123:1(34)
- Seng, N. W. and Yusof, A. M. "The success factors of design and build procurement method: a literature visit", Proceedings of the 6th Asia-Pacific Structural Engineering and Construction Conference, pp. 1-11, 2006.
- Thomas, N. S., Luu, D. T. and Chen, S. E. "Decision criteria and their subjectivity in construction procurement system", The Australian Journal of construction Economics and building, 2, (1), pp. 70-80, 2002.
- Hashim, M., Hashim, M., Yuet Li, M.C., Yin, N.C., Hooi, N.S., Heng, S.M. and Young, T.L. "Factors Influencing The Selection Of Procurement Systems By Clients", pp. 1-10, 2006.
- Cheung, S.O., LAM, T.I., Leung, M.Y. and Wan, Y.W. "An analytical hierarchy process based procurement selection method", vol. 19, pp. 427-437, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1080/014461901300132401
- Kometa, S. T., Olomolaiye, P. O. and Frank , C. H. "An evaluation of client's needs and responsibilities in the construction process", Engineeing, Construction and Architectural Management, 2, (1), pp. 57-76, 1995 https://doi.org/10.1108/eb021003
- Lim, E. H. and Ling, F. Y. Y. "Model for predicting clients' contribution to project success", Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 9, (5/6), pp. 388-395, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-232X.2002.00268.x
- Josephson, P and Hammarlund, Y. "The causes and costs of defects in construction A study of seven building projects", Automation in Construction, 8, (6), 681- 700, 1999 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0926-5805(98)00114-9
- Poon, J., Potts, K. and Cooper, P. "Practitioners' opinions on a new construction process model" In: Construction and Building Research (COBRA) Conference, University of Greenwich, Greenwich, 30 August - 1 September 2000. pp. 368-378.
- Ibbs, C. W., Wong, C. K. and Kwak, Y. H. "Project change management system", Journal of Management in Engineering, ASCE, 17, (3), pp. 159-165, 2001.
- Cox, R. K. "Managing change orders and claims", Journal of Management in Engineering, 13, (1), pp. 24-30, 1997.
- Skitmore, R. M. and Marsden, D. E. "Which procurement system? Towards a universal procurement selection technique", Construction Management and Economics, 6, (1), pp 71-89, 1998.
- Love, P.E. "Influence of Project Type and Procurement Method on Rework Costs in Building Construction Projects", Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 128, (1), pp. 18-29, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2002)128:1(18)
- Mahdi, I. M. and Alreshaid, K. "Decision support system for selecting the proper project delivery method using analytical hierarchy process (AHP)", International Journal of Project Management, 23, (7), 564-572, 2005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2005.05.007
- Faniran, O. O., Oluwoye, J. O. and Lenard, D. "Effective Construction Planning", Construction Management and Economics, 12, (6), pp. 485-499, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1080/01446199400000060
- Edmond, W. M., Chan, A.P.C. and Daniel W. M. "Determinants of Successful Design-Build Projects", vol. 134, no. 5, pp. 333-341, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2008)134:5(333)
- Chan A P C., Scott, D., and Lam, E.W.M "Framework of success criteria for design/build projects". ASCE Journal of Management in Engineering, 120-128, 2002.
- Love, P., Davis, P., Baccarini, D., Wilson, G. and Lopez, R. "Procurement selection in the public sector: A tale of two states", pp. 1-11, 2008.
- Innovative bidding law and consortia for the World Cup and Olympic Games in Brazil vol.14, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rai.2017.05.001