- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Biosynthesized Platinum Nanoparticles Inhibit the Proliferation of Human Lung-Cancer Cells in vitro and Delay the Growth of a Human Lung-Tumor Xenograft in vivo -In vitro and in vivo Anticancer Activity of bio-Pt NPs-
- Bendale, Yogesh (Research and Development Section, Rasayani Biologics Private Limited) ;
- Bendale, Vineeta (Research and Development Section, Rasayani Biologics Private Limited) ;
- Natu, Rammesh (Research and Development Section, Rasayani Biologics Private Limited) ;
- Paul, Saili (Research and Development Section, Rasayani Biologics Private Limited)
- Received : 2016.02.16
- Accepted : 2016.05.18
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: Lung cancer remains a deadly disease with unsatisfactory overall survival. Cisplatin, a standard platinum (Pt)-based chemotherapeutic agent, has the potential to inhibit the growth of lung cancer. Its use, however, is occasionally limited by severe organ toxicity. However, until now, no systematic study has been conducted to verify its efficacy with proper experimental support in vivo. Therefore, we examined whether biosynthesized Pt nanoparticles (NPs) inhibited human lung cancer in vitro and in vivo to validate their use in alternative and complementary medicine. Methods: We evaluated the in vitro and the in vivo anticancer efficiencies of biosynthesized Pt NPs in a subcutaneous xenograft model with A549 cells. Severe combined immune deficient mice (SCID) were divided into four groups: group 1 being the vehicle control group and groups 2, 3 and 4 being the experimental groups. Once the tumor volume had reached
Supported by : Department of Biotechnology (DBT)
- Jemal A, Center MM, Ward E. The convergence of lung cancer rates between blacks and whites under the age of 40, United States. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009;18(12):3349-52. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-09-0740
- Rocks N, Bekaert S, Coia I, Paulissen G, Gueders M, Evrard B, et al. Curcumin-cyclodextrin complexes potentiate gemcitabine effects in an orthotopic mouse model of lung cancer. Br J Cancer. 2012;107(7):1083-92. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2012.379
- Yin HT, Zhang DG, Wu XL, Huang XE, Chen G. In vivo evaluation of curcumin-loaded nanoparticles in a A549 xenograft mice model. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2013;14(1):409-12. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.409
- Ko JC, Wang LH, Jhan JY, Ciou SC, Hong JH, Lin ST, et al. The role of celecoxib in Rad51 expression and cell survival affected by gefitinib in human nonsmall cell lung cancer cells. Lung Cancer. 2009;65(3):290-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2008.12.008
- Jin HO, Seo SK, Woo SH, Lee HC, Kim ES, Yoo DH, et al. A combination of sulindac and arsenic trioxide synergistically induces apoptosis in human lung cancer H1299 cells via c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase-dependent Bcl-xL phosphorylation. Lung Cancer. 2008;61(3):317-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2008.01.002
- Skarda J, Hajdúch M, Kolek V. Drug resistance in lung cancer. Cancer Therapy. 2008;6:377-88.
- Ozols RF, Bundy BN, Greer BE, Fowler JM, Clarke-Pearson D, Burger RA, et al. Phase III trial of carboplatin and paclitaxel compared with cisplatin and paclitaxel in patients with optimally resected stage III ovarian cancer, a gynecologic oncology group study. J Clin Oncol. 2003;21(17): 3194-200. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.02.153
- Suh DH, Kim KD, Kim JW. Major clinical research advances in gynecologic cancer in 2011. J Gynecol Oncol. 2012;23(1):53-64. https://doi.org/10.3802/jgo.2012.23.1.53
- Kievit FM, Zhang M. Surface engineering of iron oxide nanoparticles for targated cancer therapy. Acc Chem Res. 2011;44(10):853-62. https://doi.org/10.1021/ar2000277
- Namiki Y, Fuchigami T, Tada N, Kawamura R, Matsunuma S, Kitamoto Y, et al. Nanomedicine for cancer: lipid based nano structures for drug delivery and monitoring. Acc Chem Res. 2011;44(10):1080-93. https://doi.org/10.1021/ar200011r
- Xu ZP, Zeng QH, Lu GQ, Yu AB. Inorganic nanoparticles as carriers for efficient cellular delivery. Chem Eng Sci. 2006;61(3):1027-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2005.06.019
- Prakash A, Sharma S, Ahmad N, Ghosh A, Sinha P. J Biomater Nanobiotechnol. J Biomater Nanobiotechnol. 2011;2:156-62.
- Stephens IEL, Bondarenko AS, Gronbjerg U, Rossmeisl J, Chorkendorff I. Understanding the electrocatalysis of oxygen reductionon platinum and its alloys. Energy Environ Sci. 2012;5(5):6744-62. https://doi.org/10.1039/c2ee03590a
- Kostova I. Platinum complexes as anticancer agents. Recent Pat Anti-Cancer Drug Discov. 2006;1(1):1-22. https://doi.org/10.2174/157489206775246458
- Cheng H, Xi C, Meng X, Hao Y, Yu Y, Zhao F. Polyethylene glycol-stabilized platinum nanoparticles: the efficient and recyclable catalysts for selective hydrogenation of O-chloronitrobenzene to O-chloroaniline. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2009;336(2):675-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2009.04.076
- Mironava T, Simon M, Rafailovich MH, Rigas B. Platinum folate nanoparticles toxicity: cancer vs. normal cells. Toxicol In Vitro. 2013;27(2):882-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2013.01.005
- Cowley A, editors. A healthy future: platinum in medical applications. The 4th International Platinum Conference; 2010 Oct 11-14; Sun City. Rustenburg. South Africa: The Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy; 2010. p. 1-4.
- Nellore J, Pauline C, Amarnath K. Bacopa monnieri phytochemicals mediated synthesis of platinum nanoparticles and its neurorescue effect on 1-methyl 4-phenyl 1,2,3,6 tetrahydropyridine-induced experimental parkinsonism in zebrafish. J Neurodegener Dis. 2013;2013:ID972391.
- Alshatwi AA, Athinarayanan J, Subbarayan PV. Green synthesis of platinum nanoparticles that induce cell death and G2/M-phase cell cycle arrest in human cervical cancer cells. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2015;26(1):DOI: 10.1007/s10856-014-5330-1. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10856-014-5330-1
- Gehrke H, Pelka J, Hartinger CG, Blank H, Bleimund F, Schneider R, et al. Platinum nanoparticles and their cellular uptake and DNA platination at non-cytotoxic concentrations. Arch Toxicol. 2011;85(7):799-812. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00204-010-0636-3
- Pelka J, Gehrke H, Esselen M, Turk M, Crone M, Brase S, et al. Cellular uptake of platinum nanoparticles in human colon carcinoma cells and their impact on cellular redox systems and DNA integrity. Chem Res Toxicol. 2009;22(4):649-59. https://doi.org/10.1021/tx800354g
- Kerbel RS. Human tumor xenografts as predictive preclinical models for anticancer drug activity in humans: better than commonly perceived-but they can be improved. Cancer Biol Ther. 2003;2(S1):134-9.
- Bendale Y, Bendale V, Paul S, Bhattacharyya SS. Green synthesis, characterization and anticancer potential of platinum nonoparticles. Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao. 2012;10(6):681-9. https://doi.org/10.3736/jcim20120613
- Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods. 1983;65(1-2): 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(83)90303-4
- Pratesi G, De Cesare M, Carenini N, Perego P, Righetti SC, Cucco C, et al. Pattern of antitumor activity of a novel camptothecin, ST1481, in a large panel of human tumor xenografts. Clin Cancer Res. 2002;8(12):3904-9.
- Yamori T, Matsunaga A, Sato S, Yamazaki K, Komi A, Ishizu K, et al. Potent antitumor activity of MS-247, a novel DNA minor groove binder, evaluated by an in vitro and in vivo human cancer cell line panel. Cancer Res. 1999;59(16):4042-9.
- Grieshaber CK, Marsoni S. Relation of preclinical toxicology to findings in early clinical trials. Cancer Treat Rep. 1986;70(1):65-72.
- Klastersky J, Sculier JP, Bureau G, Libert P, Ravez P, Vandermoten G, et al. Cisplatin versus cisplatin plus etoposide in treatment of advanced Non-small cell lung cancer. lung cancer working party, belgium. J Clin Oncol. 1989;7(8):1087-92. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19220.127.116.117
- Kelly K, Crowley J, Bunn PA Jr, Presant CA, Grevstad PK, Moinpour CM, et al. Randomized phase III trial of paclitaxel plus carboplatin versus vinorelbine plus cisplatin in the treatment of patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a southwest oncology group trial. J Clin Oncol. 2001;19(13):3210-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2001.19.13.3210
- Schiller JH, Harrington D, Belani CP, Langer C, Sandler A, Krook J, et al. Comparison of four chemotherapy regimens for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med. 2002;346(2):92-8. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa011954
- Peer D, Karp JM, Hong S, Farokhzad OC, Margalit R, Langer R. Nanocarriers as an emerging platform for cancer therapy. Nat Nanotechnol. 2007;2(12):751-60. https://doi.org/10.1038/nnano.2007.387
- Singh N, Reddy KRC. Particle size estimation and elemental analysis of lauha bhasma. Int J Res Ayu Pharm. 2011;2(1):30-5.
- Sarkar PK, Chaudhary AK. Ayurvedic Bhasma: the most ancient application in nano medicine. J Sci Ind Res. 2010;69(12):901-5.
- Kim JS, Kuk E, Yu KN, Kim JH, Park SJ, Lee HJ, et al. Antimicrobial effects of silver nanoparticles. Nanomedicine. 2007;3(1):95-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nano.2006.12.001
- Joaquin PP. An investigation on the activity pattern of alchemical transmutations. J Sci Exp. 2002;16(4):593-602.
- Das B, Mitra A, Hazra J. Management of madhumeha (diabetes mellitus) with current evidence and intervention with ayurvedic rasausadhies. Indian J Trad knowl. 2011;10(4):624-8.
- Platinum nanoparticles in nanobiomedicine vol.46, pp.16, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1039/C7CS00152E
- Evaluation of the antitumor activity of platinum nanoparticles in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma induced in rats vol.39, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1010428317717259
- Anticancer activity evaluation of green synthesised gold–silver alloy nanoparticles on colourectal HT-29 and prostate DU-145 carcinoma cell lines vol.13, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1049/mnl.2018.0235
- Anticancer effect of novel platinum nanocomposite beads on oral squamous cell carcinoma cells pp.15524973, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/jbm.b.34320