- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Vasorelaxation Study and Tri-Step Infrared Spectroscopy Analysis of Malaysian Local Herbs
- Ch'ng, Yung Sing (School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia) ;
- Tan, Chu Shan (School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia) ;
- Loh, Yean Chun (School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia) ;
- Ahmad, Mariam (School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia) ;
- Asmawi, Mohd. Zaini (School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia) ;
- Yam, Mun Fei (School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia)
- Received : 2016.04.26
- Accepted : 2016.05.21
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: The aim of this paper is to investigate the activities of Malaysian local herbs (Clinacanthus nutans Lindau, Strobilanthes crispus, Murdannia bracteata, Elephantopus scaber Linn., Pereskia bleo, Pereskia grandifolia Haw., Vernonia amygdalina, and Swietenia macrophylla King) for anti-hypertensive and vasorelaxant activity. An infrared (IR) macro-fingerprinting technique consisting of conventional fourier transform IR (FTIR), second-derivative IR (SD-IR), and two-dimensional correlation IR (2D-correlation IR) analyses were used to determine the main constituents and the fingerprints of the Malaysian local herbs. Methods: The herbs were collected, ground into powder form, and then macerated by using three different solvents: distilled water, 50% ethanol, and 95% ethanol, respectively. The potentials of the extracts produced from these herbs for use as vasorelaxants were determined. Additionally, the fingerprints of these herbs were analyzed by using FTIR spectra, SD-IR spectra, and 2D-correlation IR spectra in order to identify their main constituents and to provide useful information for future pharmacodynamics studies. Results: Swietenia macrophylla King has the highest potential in terms of vasorelaxant activity, followed by Vernonia amygdalina, Pereskia bleo, Strobilanthes crispus, Elephantopus scaber Linn., Pereskia grandifolia Haw., Clinacanthus nutans Lindau, and Murdannia bracteata. The tri-step IR macro-fingerprint of the herbs revealed that most of them contained proteins. Pereskia bleo and Pereskia grandifolia Haw. were found to contain calcium oxalate while Swietenia macrophylla King was found to contain large amounts of flavonoids. Conclusion: The flavonoid content of the herbs affects their vasorelaxant activity, and the tri-step IR macro-fingerprint method can be used as an analytical tool to determine the activity of a herbal medicine in terms of its vasorelaxant effect.
Supported by : Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Upton R, Graff A, Jolliffe G, Langer R, Williamson E. American herbal pharmacopoeia: botanical pharmacognosy-microscopic characterization of botanical medicines. Florida: CRC Press; 2010. 800 p.
- Tan ML, Sulaiman SF, Najimuddin N, Samian MR, Muhammad TS. Methanolic extract of Pereskia bleo (Kunth) DC.(Cactaceae) induces apoptosis in breast carcinoma, T47-D cell line. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005;96(1-2):287-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2004.09.025
- Quasie O, Zhang YM, Zhang HJ, Luo J, Kong LY. Four new steroid saponins with highly oxidized side chains from the leaves of Vernonia amygdalina. Phytochem Lett. 2016;15:16-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phytol.2015.11.002
- Chen JJ, Huang SS, Liao CH, Wei DC, Sung PJ, Wang TC, et al. A new phragmalin-type limonoid and anti-inflammatory constituents from the fruits of Swietenia macrophylla. Food Chem. 2010;120(2):379-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.09.093
- Goh KL. Malaysian herbs. Port Klang: Percetakan Advanco Sendirian Berhad; 2000. 260 p.
- Moghadamtousi SZ, Goh BH, Chan CK, Shabab T, Kadir HA. Biological activities and phytochemicals of Swietenia macrophylla King. Molecules. 2013;18(9):10465-83. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules180910465
- Ijeh II, Ejike C. Current perspectives on the medicinal potentials of Vernonia amygdalina Del. J Med Plants Res. 2011;5(7):1051-61.
- Nurraihana H, Norfarizan-Hanoon N. Phytochemistry, pharmacology and toxicology properties of Strobilanthes crispus. Int Food Res J. 2013;20(5):2045-56.
- Yam MF, Ang LF, Lim CP, Ameer OZ, Salman IM, Ahmad M, et al. Antioxidant and hepatoprotective effects of Murdannia bracteata methanol extract. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2010;3(3):197-202. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2005-2901(10)60036-2
- Poli A, Nicolau M, Simoes CM, Nicolau RM, Zanin M. Preliminary pharmacologic evaluation of crude whole plant extracts of Elephantopus scaber. part I: in vivo studies. J Ethnopharmacol. 1992;37(1):71-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-8741(92)90005-C
- Choong YK, Sun SQ, Zhou Q, Lan J, Lee HL, Chen XD. Verification of Ganoderma (lingzhi) commercial products by fourier transform infrared spectroscopy and two-dimensional IR correlation spectroscopy. J Mol Struct. 2014;1069:60-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.11.049
- Li JR, Sun SQ, Wang XX, Xu CH, Chen JB, Zhou Q, et al. Differentiation of five species of Danggui raw materials by FTIR combined with 2D-COS IR. J Mol Struct. 2014;1069:229-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molstruc.2014.03.067
- Li D, Jin Z, Zhou Q, Chen J, Lei Y, Sun S. Discrimination of five species of Fritillaria and its extracts by FT-IR and 2D-IR. J Mol Struct. 2010;974(1-3):68-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molstruc.2010.01.031
- Sun SQ, Zhou Q, Chen JB. Analysis of traditional Chinese medicine by infrared spectroscopy. Beijing: Chemical Industrial Press; 2010. 358 p.
- Decomposition and Reformulation of Banxia Baizhu Tianma Decoction: A Vasodilatory Approach vol.9, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/S1674-6384(17)60087-X
- Vasorelaxant properties of Vernonia amygdalina ethanol extract and its possible mechanism vol.55, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/13880209.2017.1357735
- Vasorelaxation effect of Glycyrrhizae uralensis through the endothelium-dependent Pathway vol.199, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2017.02.001
- Overview of Signaling Mechanism Pathways Employed by BPAid in Vasodilatory Activity 2017, https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2017.3958
- Mechanisms of action of Panax notoginseng ethanolic extract for its vasodilatory effects and partial characterization of vasoactive compounds pp.1348-4214, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41440-018-0139-9
- Antisolvent with an Ultrawide Processing Window for the One-Step Fabrication of Efficient and Large-Area Perovskite Solar Cells pp.09359648, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.201802763
- (Mahogany) Seed Extract vol.21, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2017.4008