- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Study of Intravenous Single-Dose Toxicity Test of Bufonis venonum Pharmacopuncture in Sprague-Dawley Rats
- Kwon, Ki-Rok ;
- Yu, Jun-Sang ;
- Sun, Seung-Ho ;
- Lee, Kwang-Ho
- Received : 2016.01.25
- Accepted : 2016.04.25
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: Bufonis venonum (BV) is toad venom and is the dried, white secretions of the auricular and the skin glands of toads. This study was performed to evaluate the toxicity of intravenous injection of Bufonis venonum pharmacopuncture (BVP) through a single-dose test with sprague-dawley (SD) rats. Methods: Twenty male and 20 female 6-week-old SD rats were injected intravenously in the caudal vein with BVP or normal saline. The animals were divided into four groups with five female and five male rats per group: the control group injected with normal saline, the low-dosage group injected with 0.1 mL/animal of BVP, the medium-dosage group injected with 0.5 mL/animal of BVP and the high-dosage group injected with 1.0 mL/animal of BVP. We performed clinical observations every day and body weight measurements on days 3, 7 and 14 after the injection. We also conducted hematology, serum biochemistry, and histological observations immediately after the observation period. Results: No mortalities were observed in any experimental group. Paleness occurred in the medium- and the high-dosage groups, and congestion on tails was observed in females in the medium- and the high-dosage groups. No significant changes in weight, hematology, serum biochemistry, and histological observations that could be attributed to the intravenous injection of BVP were observed in any experimental group. Conclusion: The lethal dose of intravenously-administered BVP in SD rats is over 1.0 mL/animal.
Bufonis venonum;Chan-Su;pharmacopuncture;toad venom;toxicity test
- Xie JT, Spring A, Yuan CS. Beneficial and adverse effects of toad venom, a traditional Oriental medicine. Orient Pharm Exp Med. 2002;2(1):28-35. https://doi.org/10.3742/OPEM.2002.2.1.028
- Chen G, Jiang X, Li J, Duan G, Yang L, Zhang Y, et al. Study on anti-osteosarcoma activity of ethanol extract of Venenum bufonis in vitro. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2013;11(1):73-7.
- Yoo WS, Kim J, Lee YW, Yoon DH, Cho CK, Yoo HS. Toxicity studies on Secretio bufonis: a traditional supplement in Asia. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2009;2(2):159-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2005-2901(09)60049-2
- Wang SW, Lin H, Tsai SC, Hwu CM, Chiao YC, Lu CC, et al. Effects of methanol extract of Chansu on hypothalamic-pituitary-testis function in rats. Metabolism. 1998;47(10):1211-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0026-0495(98)90325-0
- Bick RJ, Poindexter BJ, Sweney RR, Dasgupta A. Effects of Chan Su, a traditional Chinese medicine, on the calcium transients of isolated cardiomyocytes: cardiotoxicity due to more than Na, K-ATPase blocking. Life Sci. 2002;72(6):699-709. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(02)02302-0
- Gowda RM, Cohen RA, Khan IA. Toad venom poisoning: resemblance to digoxin toxicity and therapeutic implications. Heart. 2003;89(4):e14. https://doi.org/10.1136/heart.89.4.e14
- Lee KH, Sun SH, Yu JS, Kwon KR. Intramuscular single-dose toxicity test of Bufonis venonum pharmacopuncture in sprague-dawley rats. J Pharmacopuncture. 2015;18(4):51-8.
- Kim JS, Jeong TY, Cho CK, Lee YW, Yoo HS. Antitumor effect of skin of Venenum bufonis in a NCI-H460 tumor regression model. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2010;3(3):181-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2005-2901(10)60034-9
- Lee HJ, Koung FP, Kwon KR, Kang DI, Cohen L, Yang PY, et al. Comparative analysis of the Bufonis venenum by using TLC, HPLC, and LC-MS for different extraction methods. J Pharmacopuncture. 2012;15(4):52-65. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2012.15.012
- Choi MJ, Kim KN, Lee JE, Suh JW, Kim SC, Kwon KR, et al. Effects of Sumsu (Bufonis venenum) pharmacopuncture treatment on depression in mice. J Pharmacopuncture. 2014;17(2):27-33.
- Gauthier C, Hassler C, Mattar L, Launay JM, Callebert J, Steiger H, et al. Symptoms of depression and anxiety in anorexia nervosa: links with plasma tryptophan and serotonin metabolism. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2014;39:170-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2013.09.009
- Moser HR, Giesler GJ Jr. Itch elicited by intradermal injection of serotonin, intracisternal injection of morphine, and their synergistic interactions in rats. Neuroscience. 2014;274:119-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2014.05.025