- Volume 21 Issue 3
A new type of composite beam which consists of a wide flange steel shape beam and an innovative type of composite slab was introduced. The composite slab is composed of concrete slab and normal flat steel plates, which are connected by perfobond shear connectors (PBL shear connectors). This paper describes experiments of two large-scale specimens of that composite beam. Both specimens were loaded at two symmetric points for 4-point loading status, and mechanical behaviors under hogging and sagging bending moments were investigated respectively. During the experiments, the crack patterns, failure modes, failure mechanism and ultimate bending capacity of composite beam specimens were investigated, and the strains of concrete and flat steel plate as well as steel shapes were measured and recorded. As shown from the experimental results, composite actions were fully developed between the steel shape and the composite slab, this new type of composite beams was found to have good mechanical performance both under hogging and sagging bending moment with high bending capacity, substantial flexure rigidity and good ductility. It was further shown that the plane-section assumption was verified. Moreover, a design procedure including calculation methods of bending capacity of this new type of composite beam was studied and proposed based on the experimental results, and the calculation methods based on the plane-section assumption and plastic theories were also verified by comparisons of the calculated results and experimental results, which were agreed with each other.
flat steel plate-concrete composite slabs;composite beam;bending performance;bending capacity;experimental study
- Al-deen, S., Ranzi, G. and Vrcelj, Z. (2011), "Full-scale long-term experiments of simply supported composite beams with solid slabs", J. Constr. Steel Res., 67(3), 308-321. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.11.001
- Allahyari, H., Dehestani, M., Beygi, M.H.A., Neya, B.N. and Ebrahim, R. (2014), "Mechanical behavior of steel-concrete composite decks with perfobond shear connectors", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 17(3), 339-358. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.3.339
- Amadio, C., Fedrigo, C., Fragiacomo, M. and Macorini, L. (2004), "Experimental evaluation of effective width in steel-concrete composite beams", J. Constr. Steel Res., 60(2), 199-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2003.08.007
- Hou, Z., Xia, H. and Zhang, Y.L. (2012), "Dynamic analysis and shear connector damage identification of steel-concrete composite beams", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 13(4), 327-341. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.13.4.327
- Johnson, R.P. (2004), Composite Structures of Steel and Concrete: Beams, Slabs, Columns, and Frames for Buildings, Blackwell Publication, USA.
- Leon, R.T. and Lange, J. (2004), "Composite construction in steel and concrete V", Proceedings of the 5th International Conference, Berg-en-Dal, South Africa, July.
- Leon, R.T., Rassati, G.A., Perea, T. and Lange, J. (2008), "Composite construction in steel and concrete VI", Proceedings of the 2008 Composite Construction in Steel and Concrete Conference, Tabernash, CO, USA, July.
- Nie, J., Fan, J. and Cai, S.C. (2004), "Stiffness and deflection of steel-concrete composite beams under negative bending", J. Struct. Eng., 130(11), 1842-1851. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:11(1842)
- Nie, J., Fan, J. and Cai, C.S. (2008), "Experimental study of partially shear-connected composite beams with profiled sheeting", Eng. Struct., 30(1), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.02.016
- Papastergiou, D. and Lebet, J.P. (2014), "Investigation of a new steel-concrete connection for composite bridges", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 17(5),573-599. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.5.573
- Pecce, M., Rossi, F., Bibbo, F.A. and Ceroni, F. (2012), "Experimental behaviour of composite beams subjected to a hogging moment", Steel Comp. Struct., Int. J., 12(5), 395-412. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.12.5.395
- Yang, Y., Zhu, G., Zhou, P. and Nie, J. and Xie, B. (2009), "Experimental study on the mechanical behavior and design method of plane steel-plate and concrete composite bridge decks", China Civil Eng. J., 42(12), 135-141. [In Chinese]
- Yang, Y., Zhou, X., Xue, J. and Huo, Z. (2012), "Experimental study on fatigue behavior of composite girders with steel plate-concrete composite decks", China Civil Eng. J., 45(6), 123-131. [In Chinese]
- Yeol, H. and Jeong, Y.J. (2006), "Experimental investigation on behavior of steel-concrete composite bridge decks with perfobond ribs", J. Constr. Steel Res., 62(5), 463-471. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.08.010
- Experimental study on flexural performance of partially precast steel reinforced concrete beams vol.133, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.3.537
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Natural Science Foundation of China