- Volume 32 Issue 6
The Korean government has been enforcing the Employment Permit System for foreign workers since 2007, from then skilled workers have become a main resource in the construction site. However, General contractors (G/C) and sub-contractors that participate in plan construction projects have found difficulty in hiring foreign workers. In this regards, this study aims to analyze the working status for the domestic workforce and to verify the reasons of restricting employment of foreign workers in the plant construction field. To do this, questionnaire surveys and face to face interviews with CEOs, site managers of plant construction firms, and directors of G/C were conducted. As a result, this study found a few problems in utilizing domestic skilled workers in the plant construction sites. To stabilize the supply and demand of skilled construction workers in plant construction projects, the government should not only need more flexibility in operating the Employment Permit System in order to hire foreign workers, but also establish the medium and long term plans such as development of new construction technology and skilled worker training systems.
- Choi, H. Y. (2013). Long-term Employment of Migrant Wokders and the Legal Issues, Journal of Labour Law, No. 48, 419-455
- Ha, G. R. (2011). Changes and Challenges facing the Employment Permit System for Foreign Workers, Journal of Labour Law, No. 22, 333-389
- Jean, S., Causa. O., Jimenez. M., & Wanner. I. (2007). Migration in OECD countries: Labour Market Impact and Integration Issues, OECD Economics Department Working Papers, No. 562, OECD Publishing
- Oh, C. D., & Park, C. S. (2010). An Improvement Plan and Analysis on Employment Realities of Foreign Construction Workers under the Employment Permit System, Korea Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 11(2), 83-93 https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2010.11.2.83
- Roh, M. J. (2015). A Study on the Operational Performance and Improvement of Employment Permit System for Foreign Workers, Thesis, Korea University.
- Shim, G. B. (2015). The Improvement Plan and Employment Condition of Foreign Workers in Construction Field - Focused on Employment Permit System E-9 Visa, CERIK Research Report, Construction & Economy Research Institute of Korea.
- Son, C. B. (2005). An Analysis on the Employment of Foreign Laborer in Domestic Construction Fields, Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea(Structure), 21(6), 105-112