- Volume 32 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Shear Resistance of Sandy Soils Depending on Particle Shape
모래 입자의 형상과 내부마찰각의 상관관계에 관한 연구
- Received : 2016.04.15
- Accepted : 2016.05.25
- Published : 2016.06.30
This study presents the correlations between quantified particle shape parameters and internal friction angles for nine sand specimens including six natural sands and three crushed sands. Specimens are subjected to 3D X-ray computed tomographic imaging and their particles are segmented through the aid of image processing techniques. Shapes of segmented particles are then quantified through two shape parameters such as sphericity and elongation. The direct shear apparatus enables us to measure peak and critical state friction angles of sand specimens of distinct relative densities. The gathered data show that decreasing sphericity and increasing elongation cause increases in peak and critical state friction angle with similar gradients.
Shear strength;Particle shape;Image processing;3D X-ray CT
- Aloufi, M. and Santamarina, J. C. (1995), "Low and High-strain Macrobehavior of Grain Masses - the Effect of Particle Eccentricity", Transcation of the ASAE, Vol.38, No.3, pp.877-887. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.27904
- ASTM D 3080 (1998), "Standard Test Method for Direct Shear Test of Soils under Consolidated Drained Conditions",
- ASTM D 421 (2007), "Standard Practice for Dry Preparation of Soil Samples for Particle-size Analysis and Determination of Soil Constant", Annual book of ASTM standards, ASTM.
- ASTM D 4253 (2002), "Standard Test Method for Maximum Index Density and Unit Weight for Soils Using a Vibratory Table", Annual book of ASTM standards, ASTM.
- ASTM D 4254 (2002), "Standard Test Method for Minimum Index Density and Unit Weight for Soils and Calculation of Relative Density", Annual book of ASTM standards, ASTM.
- ASTM D 854 (2014), "Standard Test Methods for Specific Gravity of Soils by Water Pycnometer", Annual book of ASTM standards, ASTM.
- Barrett, P. J. (1980), "The Shape of Rock Particles, a Critical Review", Sedimentology, Vol.27, No.3, pp.291-303. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3091.1980.tb01179.x
- Blott, S. J. and Pye, K. (2008), "Particle Shape: A Review and New Methods of Characterization and Classification, Sedimentology, Vol.55, No.1, pp.31-63.
- Bolton, M. D. (1986), "The Strength and Dilatancy of Sands", Geotechnique, Vol.36, No.1, pp.65-78. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19188.8.131.52
- Bolton, M. D. (1987), "The Strength and Dilatancy of Sands. Discussion", Geotechnique, Vol.37, No.2, pp.219-226. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19184.108.40.206
- Cavarretta, I., Coop, M., and O'Sullivan, C. (2010), "The Influence of Particle Characteristics on the behaviour of Coarse Grained Soils", Geotechnique, Vol.60, No.3, pp.413-423. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.2010.60.6.413
- Cho, G. C., Dodds, J., and Santamarina, J. C. (2006), "Particle Shape Effects on Packing Density, Stiffness and Strength: Natural and Crushed Sands", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol.132, No.5, pp.591-602. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2006)132:5(591)
- Cubrinovski, M. and Ishihara, K. (2002), "Maximum and Minimum Void Ratio Characteristics of Sands", Soils and Foundations, Vol.42, No.6, pp.65-78. https://doi.org/10.3208/sandf.42.6_65
- Dyskin, A. V., Estrin, Y., Kanel-Belov, A. J., and Pasternak, E. (2001), "Toughening by Fragmentation - How Topology Helps", Advanced Engineering Materials, Vol.3, No.11, pp.885-888. https://doi.org/10.1002/1527-2648(200111)3:11<885::AID-ADEM885>3.0.CO;2-P
- Feda, J. (2002), "Notes on the Effect of Grain Crushing on the Granular Soil behaviour", Engineering Geology, Vol.63, No.1, pp.93-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7952(01)00072-2
- Folk, R. L. (1955), "Student Operator Error in Determination of Roundness, Sphericity, and Grain Size", Journal of Sedimentary Research, Vol.25, No.4, pp.297-301.
- Fonseca, J., O'Sullivan, C., Coop, M. R., and Lee, P. D. (2012), "Non-invasive Characterization of Particle Morphology of Natural Sands", Soils and Foundations, Vol.52, No.4, pp.712-722. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sandf.2012.07.011
- Fredlund, M. D., Fredlund D. G., and Wilson, G. W. (2000), "An Equation to Represent Grain-size Distribution", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol.37, No.4, pp.817-827. https://doi.org/10.1139/t00-015
- Guimaraes, M. (2002), "Crushed Stone Fines and Ion Removal from Clay Slurries - Fundamental Studies", PhD thesis, Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Jia, X. and Williams, R. A. (2001), "A Packing Algorithm for Particles of Arbitrary Shapes", Powder technology, Vol.120, No.3, pp.175-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-5910(01)00268-6
- Kim, K. Y., Suh, H. S., Yun, T. S., Moon, S. W., and Seo, Y. S. (2016), "Effect of Particle Shape on the Shear Strength of Fault Gouge", Geosciences Journal, pp.1-9.
- Krumbein, W. C. (1941), "Measurement and Geological Significance of Shape and Roundness of Sedimentary Particles", Journal of Sedimentary Research, Vol.11, No.2, pp.64-72.
- Krumbein, W. C. and Sloss, L. L. (1963), "Stratigraphy and sedimentation", W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco.
- Liao, L., Meneghini, R., Nowell, H. K., and Liu, G. (2013), "Scattering Computations of Snow Aggregates from Simple Geometrical Particle Models", IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol.6, No.3, pp.1409-1417. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSTARS.2013.2255262
- Matsushima, T., Katagiri, J., Uesugi, K., Tsuchiyama, A., and Nakano, T. (2009), "3D Shape Characterization and Image-based DEM Simulation of the Lunar Soil Simulant FJS-1", Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Vol.22, No.1, pp.15-23. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0893-1321(2009)22:1(15)
- Miura, K., Maeda, K., Furukawa, M., and Toki, S. (1998), "Mechanical Characteristics of Sands with Different Primary Properties", Soils and foundations, Vol.38, No.4, pp.159-172. https://doi.org/10.3208/sandf.38.4_159
- Mora, P. and Place, D. (1998), "Numerical Simulation of Earthquake Faults with Gouge: Toward a Comprehensive Explanation for the Heat Flow Paradox", Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, Vol.103, No.B9, 21067-21089. https://doi.org/10.1029/98JB01490
- Pons, M. N., Vivier, H., and Dodds, J. (1997), "Particle Shape Characterization Using Morphological Descriptors", Particle & particle systems characterization, Vol.14, No.6, pp.272-277. https://doi.org/10.1002/ppsc.19970140603
- Roussilloln, T., Piegay, H., Sivignon, I., Tougne, L., and Lavigne, F. (2009), "Automatic Computation of Pebble Roundness Using Digital Imagery and Discrete Geometry", Computers & Geosciences, Vol.35, No.10, pp.1992-2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2009.01.013
- Santamarina, J. C. and Cho, G. C. (2004), "Soil behaviour: The Role of Particle Shape", Proc., Advances in geotechnical engineering: The skempton conference, Thomas Telford, pp.604-617.
- Shin, H. and Santamarina, J. C. (2012), "Role of Particle Angularity on the Mechanical behavior of Granular Mixtures", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol.139, No.2, pp.353-355.
- Simoni, A. and Houlsby, G. T. (2006), "The Direct Shear Strength and Dilatancy of Sand-gravel Mixtures", Geotechnical & Geological Engineering, Vol.24, No.3, pp.523-549. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-004-5832-6
- Suh, H. S., Han, E. S. H., Yun, T. S., and Kim, K. Y. (2014), "Evaluation of Shape Parameters for Rock Fragments by x-ray Computed Tomography and Image Processing", International Symposium-8th Asian Rock Mechanics Symposium, International Society for Rock Mechanics.
- Yasin, S. and Safiullah, M. (2013), "Effect of Particle Characteristics on the Strength and Volume Change behaviour of Sand", Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol.31, No.2, pp.127-148.
- Yun, T. S. and Santamarina, J. C. (2008), "Fundamental Study of Thermal Conduction in Dry Soils", Granular matter, Vol.10, No.3, pp.197-207. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10035-007-0051-5
- Wadell, H. (1932), "Volume, Shape, and Roundness of Rock Particles", The Journal of Geology, Vol.40, No.5, pp.443-451. https://doi.org/10.1086/623964
- Wadell, H. (1933), "Sphericity and Roundness of Rock Particles", The Journal of Geology, Vol.41, No.3, pp.310-331. https://doi.org/10.1086/624040
- Zunic, J. and Rosin, P. L. (2004), "A New Convexity Measure for Polygons", IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.26, No.7, pp.923-934. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2004.19
Supported by : (재)한국이산화탄소포집 및 처리연구개발센터, 한국연구재단