- Volume 51 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on Composites of Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate Copolymer and Ethylene-Propylene-Diene Rubber with Aluminum Hydroxide as a Fire Retardant
- Lee, Yu Jun (School of Energy.Material.Chemical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Lee, Su Bin (School of Energy.Material.Chemical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Jung, Jae Young (School of Energy.Material.Chemical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Lee, Dam Hee (School of Energy.Material.Chemical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Cho, Ur Ryong (School of Energy.Material.Chemical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education)
- Received : 2016.01.25
- Accepted : 2016.02.26
- Published : 2016.06.30
The composites of EVA/EPDM including aluminum trioxide (ATH) as a fire retardant were manufactured for the purpose of improving low temperature property and flame resistance in the rubbery materials. The ratio of EVA to EPDM didn't affect the flame resistance of the rubber composites. The addition of ATH resulted in increase of the flame resistance. In the evaluation of the cold resistance, the increasing EPDM content showed enhancement of cold resistance in the composites due to increasing low Tg EPDM. It was found out that tensile strengths of the composites showed a maximum value at 100 phr of ATH by reinforcing effect, but a minimum value at 200 phr of ATH owing to slippage between the flame retardant by the external stress. In the measurement of solvent resistance in tetrahydrofuran, the increasing ATH content yielded enhancement of solvent resistance by reducing swelling of the composite, and increasing EPDM content also resulted from increase of the solvent resistance by reduction of polarizability as well as increase of crosslink in the composites.
Supported by : 한국기술교육대학교
- S. K. Dutta, A. K. Bhowmick, P. G. Mukunda, and T. K. Chaki, "Thermal Degradation Studies of Electron Beam Cured Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate Copolymer", Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 50, 75 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-3910(95)00125-6
- M. Bugajny, S. Bourbigot, M. L. Bras, and R. Delobel, "The Origin and Nature of Flame Retardance in Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate Copolymers Containing Hostaflam AP 750", Polym. Int., 48, 264 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0126(199904)48:4<264::AID-PI118>3.0.CO;2-M
- M. Fu and B. Qu, "Synergistic Flame Retardant Mechanism of Fumed Silica in Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate/Magnesium Hydroxide Blends", Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 85, 633 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2004.03.002
- N. H. Huang, Z. J. Chen, C. H. Yi, and J. Q. Wang, "Synergistic Flame Retardant Effects Between Sepiolite and Magnesium Hydroxide in Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate (EVA) Matrix", eXPRESS Polym. Lett., 4, 227 (2010). https://doi.org/10.3144/expresspolymlett.2010.29
- Y. S. Jegal, "EPDM Rubber and Its Applications", Polymer Science and Technology, 10, 330 (1999).
- Y. H. Lee, B. K. Kang, H. J. Yoo, J. S. Kim, Y. J. Jung, D. J. Lee, and H. D. Kim, "Preparation and Properties of EPDM/Thermoplastic Polyurethane Scrap Blends", Clean Technology, 15, 173 (2009).
- Y. J. Chung, "Combustive Properties of Low Density Polyethylene and Ethylene Vinyl Acetate Composites Including Magnesium Hydroxide", J. of Korean Institute of Fire Sci. & Eng., 25, 67 (2011).
- Korea Intellectual Property Office, "Report of New Technology Trend : Polymer Additives", Daejeon, 1, 54 (2001).
- M. Lee, D. Yu, T. Kim, S. Lee, J. H. Kim, and Y. C. Lee, "Flame Retardancy and Physical Properties of Ethylene Vinyl Acetate/Aluminum Trihydroxide Composites", Polymer(Korea), 39, 433 (2015).
- Y. S. Jung, "Research and Properties of Non-toxic Flame Retardant XLPE Compound", Korea Polytechnic University., (2005).
- Min-Su Kim and U. R. Cho, "Manufacture and Properties of PMMA Grafted Starch/Carbon Black/NBR Composites", Polymer(Korea), 37, 764 (2013).