- Volume 51 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Flame Retardancy and Thermal Properties of PVC/ATH Composites Prepared by a Modular Intermeshing Co-rotating Twin Screw Extruder
Lee, Hyeongsu;Park, Se-Ho;Lee, Jae-Yeul;Park, Yuri;Jeong, Hobin;Jhee, Kwang-Hwan;Bang, Daesuk
- Received : 2016.06.03
- Accepted : 2016.06.09
- Published : 2016.06.30
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) has been used as a general-purpose polymer because of its lower cost, good durability and mechanical properties compared to other materials. However, PVC is vulnerable to heat deformation and generates a toxic gas like hydrogen chloride. Therefore, it is important to delay or prevent the flame retardancy and thermal degradation of the PVC during the processing. It was reported that aluminum trihydroxide (ATH) improved flame retardancy as well as smoke inhibition of the virgin polymer. In this study, PVC composites by addition of ATH were compounded in a modular intermeshing co-rotating twin screw extruder. The PVC composites with different concentrations of ATH (0~5 phr) were analyzed. Flame retardancy of the PVC composite significantly increased depending on the ATH concentration. LOI of the composite also increased with the concentration of ATH. There were no significant differences for the thermal properties of the PVC composites with ATH.
flame retardant;aluminum trihydroxide;PVC composite;limiting oxygen index;twin screw extruder
- Y. J. Park, H. P. Lee, and H. J. Kim, "A Study on Analysis of Characteristics Combustion of Floor Covering Materials", J. Korean. Soc. Hazard. Mitig., 10, 77 (2010).
- A. R. Horrocks, B. K. Kandola, P. J. Davies, S. Zhang, and S. A. Padbury, "Developments in flame retardant textiles - a review", Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 88, 3 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2003.10.024
- A. F. Grand and C. A. Wilkie, "Fire retardancy of polymeric materials", Marcel dekker, Inc., Newyork Basel, 285 (2000).
- M. A. Cardenas, D. Garcia-Lopez, J. C. Merino, J. M. Pastor, J. D. Martinez, J. Barbeta, and D. Calveras, "Mechanical and fire retardant properties of EVA/clay/ATH nanocomposites-Effect of particle size and surface treatment of ATH filler", Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 93, 2032 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2008.02.015
- N. Ristolainene, U. Hippi, and J. Seppala, "Properties of polypropylene/aluminum trihydroxide composites containing nanosized organoclay", Polym. Eng. Sci., 45, 1568 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.20367
- T. R. Hull, A. Witkowski, and L. Hollingbery, "Fire retardant action of mineral fillers", Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 96, 1462 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2011.05.006
- M. Garcia, J. Hidalgo, I. Garmendia, and J. Garcia-Jaca, "Wood-plastics composites with better fire retardancy and durability performance", Composites: Part A, 40, 1772 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2009.08.010
- Q. Kong, Y. Hu, L. Song, and C. Yi, "Synergistic flammability and thermal stability of polypropylene/aluminum trihydroxide/Fe-montmorillonitenanocomposites", Polym. Advan. Technol., 20, 404 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1002/pat.1285
- A. A. Basfar, "Effect of various combinations of flame-retardant fillers on flammability of radiation cross-linked poly(vinyl chloride)(PVC)", Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 82, 333 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-3910(03)00188-5
- A. A. Basfar, "Flame retardancy of radiation cross-linked poly(vinyl chloride)(PVC) used as an insulating material for wire and cable", Polym. Degrad. Stabil., 77, 221 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-3910(02)00037-X
- ISO 4589 2, Plastic-Determination of burning behavior by Oxygen index: Part 2: Ambient-temperature test.
- MIL-STD-2031 (SH), "Fire and Toxicity Test Methods and Qualification Procedure for Composite Material Systems Used in Hull, Machinery, and Structural Applications Inside Naval Submarines" (1991).
- C. A. Harper, "Handbook of Building Materials for Fire Protection", McGraw Hill Professional, (2003).
- F. Laoutid, L. Bonnaud, M. Alexandre, J. M. Lopez-Cuesta, and Ph. Dubois, "New prospects in flame retardant polymer materials: From fundamentals to nanocomposites", Mater. Sci. Eng. Rep., 63, 100 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mser.2008.09.002
Supported by : 금오공과대학교