- Volume 29 Issue 3
In this paper, a methodology, which is able to predict the thermal stresses accurately yet efficiently, is presented for beam structures via Saint-Venant's principle. In general, higher-order beam theories have been known to be effective for the prediction of thermal stresses. In contrast to this, we propose the method to predict the thermal stresses of beam structures by post-processing the classical beam theory via Saint-Venant's principle. The approach includes an out-of-plane warping displacement to account for the through-the-thickness thermal deformation. With this, one can accurately recover the thermal stresses as compared to the elasticity solutions. In fact, they are identical for the beams made of isotropic materials. The effect of out-of-plane warping is also investigated, it turns out that the effect is negligible in mechanical stress analysis but not in thermal stress analysis.
saint-venant's principle;out-of-plane warping;thermal stress improvement
- Barber, J.R. (1991) Elasticity 2nd Edition, Kluwer Academic Publishers, New York.
- Cho, M. (1994) Review on Higher Order Laminated Composite Plate Modelings, J. KSME, 34(7), pp.517-526.
- Dym, C.L., Shames, I.H. (1982) Solid Mechanics : A Variational Approach, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Fung, Y.C. (1965) Foundations of Solid Mechanics, Prentice-Hall, INC., New Jersey.
- Han, J.W., Kim, J.-S., Cho, M. (2012) Efficient Thermal Stress Analysis of Laminated Composite Plates using Enhanced First-order Shear Deformation Theory, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 25(6), pp.505-512. https://doi.org/10.7734/COSEIK.2012.25.6.505
- Kim, J.-S. (2012) Application of Saint-Venant's Principle to Anisotropic Beams, Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, 36(4), pp.451-455. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.4.451
- Kim, J.-S., Cho, M. (2007) An Accurate and Efficient Analysis of Composite Plates Based on Enhanced First-order Shear Deformation Theory, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 19(4), pp.407-418.
- Kim, J.-S., Cho, M. (2011) A Novel Methodology of Improving Stress Prediction via Saint-Venant's Principle, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 24(2), pp.149-156.
- Kim, J.-S., Han, J.W., Cho, M. (2011) On the Modification of a Classical Higher-order Shear Deformation Theory to Improve the Stress Prediction of Laminated Composite Plates, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 24(3), pp.249-257.
- Kim, J.-S., Wang, K.W. (2011) On the asymptotic boundary conditions of an anisotropic beam via virtual work principle, 48(16-17), pp. 2422-2431. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2011.04.016
- Timoshenko, S.P., Goodier, J.N. (1951) Theory of Elasticity, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- A thermo-mechanical stress prediction improvement of using the classical lamination theory via Saint-Venant’s principle for laminated composite plates vol.32, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-018-0123-3