- Volume 49 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Nutritional and Microbiological Characterization of Fish Jerky Produced Using Frame Muscle of the Sea Rainbow Trout Oncorhynchus mykiss
해수산 무지개송어(Oncorhynchus mykiss) 프레임 육포의 위생적 및 영양적 특성
- Kim, Min Woo ;
- Kim, Yong Jung ;
- Kim, Min Joo ;
- Lee, Su Gwang ;
- Park, Sun Young ;
- Choi, Byeong Dae ;
- Heu, Min Soo ;
- Kim, Jin-Soo
- Received : 2016.01.21
- Accepted : 2016.03.31
- Published : 2016.06.30
Large quantities of by-products—such as fish frame, head, skin and viscera—are generated during seafood processing, and these by-products are not utilized extensively. Therefore, sea rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss (SRT) frame muscle (FM) jerky was prepared by grinding SRT-FM, followed by mixing with seasoning, forming and drying. The nutritional and microbiological characteristics of the SRT-FM jerky were then investigated. The proximate composition of the SRT-FM jerky was 19.1% moisture, 38.7% crude protein, 7.9% crude lipid and 4.4% ash. The viable bacterium count of the SRT-FM jerky was 3.9 log CFU/g, and Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus were not detected. The total amino acid content of SRT-FM jerky was 37.3 g/100 g, and the major amino acids were aspartic acid, glutamic acid, leucine and lysine. Based on the recommended daily intake of fish jerky (100 g), the most abundant mineral was potassium. The fatty acid composition of the SRT-FM jerky was 26.2% saturated acid, 34.5% monoenoic acid and 39.3% polyenoic acid, and the major fatty acids were 16:0, 18:1n-9, 18:2n-6, 20:5n-3 and 22:6n-3. These results suggest that SRT-FM jerky has high nutritional value.
Rainbow trout;Sea rainbow trout;Fish frame;Fish jerky;Oncorhynchus mykiss
- American Oil Chemists' Society (AOCS). 1990. AOCS official method Ce 1b-89. In Official methods and recommended practice of the AOCS, 4th ed., AOCS, Champaign, IL, U.S.A.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC). 2000. Official Methods of Analysis 16th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC, U.S.A.
- Chun OK and Han SH. 2000. A study on the contents of inorganic compounds in soft drinks. J Food Hyg Safety 15, 344-350.
- Baylan M, Mazp G, Ozcan N, Ozcan BD, Akar M and Coskun A. 2015. Changes of electrophoretic protein profiles of smoked and marinated rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) during refrigerated storage. J Agric Sci 21, 262-269. http://dx.doi.org/10.15832/tbd.29146 https://doi.org/10.15832/tbd.29146
- Bligh EG and Dyer WJ. 1959. A rapid method of lipid extraction and purification. Can J Biochem Physiol 37, 911-917. https://doi.org/10.1139/o59-099
- Chen YC and Jaczynski J. 2007. Protein recovery from rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) processing byproducts via isoelectric solubilization/precipitation and its gelation properties as affected by functional additives. J Agric Food Chem 55, 9079–9088. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf071992w https://doi.org/10.1021/jf071992w
- Gogus U and Smith C. 2010. n-3 Omega fatty acids: a review of current knowledge. Int J Food Sci Technol 45, 417-436. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2009.02151.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2009.02151.x
- Ham HJ, Kim AK and Kim MS. 2006. Bacterial distribution in dried salted marine products, sold in Garak wholesale market. J Fd Hyg Safety 21, 70-75.
- Heu MS, Kim HJ, Ham JS, Park SH, Kim HS, Kang KT, Jee SJ, Lee JH and Kim JS. 2008. Preparation and quality characteristics of seasoned and dried fish slice products using rainbow trout (Onchorhynchus mykiss). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37, 348-356. http://dx.doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.3.348 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.3.348
- Kang SI, Heu MS, Choi BD, Kim KH, Kim YJ and Kim JS. 2015. Investigation of food quality characterization of processing by-product(frame muscle) from the sea rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 48, 26-35. http://dx.doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2015.0026. https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2015.0026
- Kim KH. 2014. Concentration and Risk Assessment of Heavy Metal in Mainly Consumed Fishes. MS Thesis. Gyeongsang National University, Tongyeong, Korea.
- Kang SI, Kim KH, Lee JK, Kim YJ, Park SJ, Kim MW, Choi BD, Kim DS and Kim JS. 2014. Comparison of the food quality of freshwater rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss cultured in different regions. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 47, 103-113. http://dx.doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0103. https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0103
- Kim JS and Park JW. 2004. Characterization of acid-soluble collagen from Pacific whiting surimi processing by-products. J Food Sci 69, 637-642. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2004.tb09912.x
- Kim JS, Kim HS and Heu MS. 2006. Introductory Foods. Hyoil Publishing Co., Seoul, Korea. 27-31.
- Kim KH, Kang SI, Jeon YJ, Choi BD, Kim MW, Kim DS and Kim JS. 2014. Food quality of rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss domesticated in seawater. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 47, 114-121. http://dx.doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0114. https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0114
- Konieczny P, Stangierski J and Kijowski J. 2007. Physical and chemical characteristics and acceptability of home style beef jerky. Meat Sci 76, 253-257. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.11.006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.11.006
- Lee JK, Kang SI, Kim YJ, Kim MJ, Heu MS, Choi BD and Kim JS. 2016. Comparison of collagen characteristics of sea- and freshwater-rainbow trout skin. Food Sci Biotechnol 25, 131-136. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-016-0020-z
- Lee KH, Suh JS, Lee JH, Ryu HS, Jeong IH and Song SH. 1987. Lipid oxidative browning in dried fish meat. 1. Oxidation of fish oil and browning. Bull Korean Fish Soc 20, 33-40.
- Leistner L. 1987. Shelf stable product and intermediate moisture foods based on meat. In: Water activity theory and application to food. Rockland L, Beuchat LB (eds) Marcel Dekker Inc, New York, U.S.A., 295-328.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, 2013. Standards for Seafoods and Special Seafood Products. Retrieved from http://www.law.go.kr/admRulLsInfoP.do?admRulSeq=2000000092671.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (MFDS). 2016. Food Code, 5. Food Standards, 28. Fish Jerkies. Retrieved from http://www.foodsafetykorea.go.kr/portal/safefoodlife/food/foodRvlv/foodRvlv.do?menu_no=980&menu_grp=MENU_GRP01.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2015. Dietary Reference Intakes for Korean 2015.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries. 2010. Standard Methods for Marine Environment act. 122-155.
- Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy. 2016. Korean Industrial Standards KSH 2013. Korean Standards Association. Retrieved from https://standard.go.kr/KSCI/standardIntro/getStandardSearchList.do?menuId=919&topMenuId=502.
- Lee EH, Kim MC, Kim JS, Ahn CB, Joo DS and Kim SK. 1989. Studies on the processing of frozen seasoned meat. 1. Processing of frozen seasoned mackerel meat and changes in its taste compounds during storage. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 18, 355-362.
- Shimokomaki M, Franco BDGM, Biscontini TM, Pinto MF, Terra NN and Zorn TMT. 1998. Charquimeats are hurdle technology meat products. Food Rev Int 14, 339-349. https://doi.org/10.1080/87559129809541167
- Shin GM, Ahn YS, Shin DM, Kim HS, Kim HJ, Yoon MS, Heu MS and Kim JS. 2008. Comparison of muscle color, taste and nutrition components between red seabream cultured by feeding and starving. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37, 1142-1147. http://dx.doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.9.1142. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.9.1142
- The American Public Health Association (APHA). 1970. Recommended Procedures for the Bacteriological Examination of Sea Water and Shellfish. 4th ed. Inc. New York, U.S.A.28-47.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. 2000. Recommended Dietary Allowances for Koreans (7th ed.), Chungang Publishing Co., Seoul, Korea, 43-56, 157-218.
- Yoshimura M, Takahashi H and Nakanishi T. 1991. Role of sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium on blood pressure regulation and antihypertensive dietary therapy. Japan J Nutr 49, 53-62. https://doi.org/10.5264/eiyogakuzashi.49.53
Grant : 해수산 기능성 무지개송어의 생산 및 가공제품 개발
Supported by : 경상대학교 산학협력단