- Volume 49 Issue 3
This study was conducted to evaluate the physicochemical characteristics, perform a sensory evaluation of glutinous barley gruel after adding Hizikia fusiformis powder to promote consumption, and identify the best ratio and recipe. The gruel was prepared with rice and glutinous barley powder, and various levels (0, 2.5, 5.0, and 7.5%) of H. fusiformis powder. pH, color, viscosity, and spreadability of the gruel were investigated. A sensory evaluation was conducted by 20 panelists in the categories of color, flavor, taste, texture appearance, and overall preference using a 9-point hedonic scale. The viscosity and pH of the gruel increased as H. fusiformis powder content increased, whereas spreadability of the gruel decreased gradually as H. fusiformis powder content increased. As the level of H. fusiformis powder increased, lightness decreased significantly, whereas redness and yellowness increased. Color, bitter taste, and H. fusiformis flavor of the gruel increased significantly as H. fusiformis powder content increased. On the other hand, sweet taste (delicious taste level) and viscosity were not different among the different gruels. The sensory test results indicated that the gruel with 5% H. fusiformis powder had the best overall acceptability. In conclusion, glutinous barley gruel with 5% added H. fusiformis powder was more acceptable than the others.
Hizikia fusiformis;Glutinous barley;Gruel;Physicochemical properties
- Baek JM. 2007. Present state and prospect in seaweed farming industry. In: J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 32th Annual Meeting of the seaweed and food. Baek JM, eds. Dankook University, Yongin, Korea, pp. 15-22.
- Ahn JS, Kong SG and Cho SH. 2013. Quality characteristics of tarakjuk (Milk Porridge) prepared with brown rice. Korean J Food Nutr 26, 508-514. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.3.508. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.3.508
- AOAC. 1990. Official Method of Analysis. In: Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 15th ed. Arlington, VA, U.S.A., 777-788.
- Baek G, Goo BG, Ahn BJ and Park JK. 2013. Effects of water-soluble polysaccharides from tott on lipid absorption and animal body weight. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42, 556-562. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.4.556. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.4.556
- Choe JS and Youn JY. 2005. The chemical composition of barley and wheat varieties. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34, 223-229. http://dx.doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.2.223. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.2.223
- Choi GS. 2005. Effect of Jeju drid Hizikia fusiformis powder on the quality characteristics in bread and noodle. MS Thesis. Tamna University, Jeju, Korea.
- Gunsan Glutinous Barley Promotive Team. 2012. Glutinous Barley Introduce. Retrieved from http://www.gunsanbori.or.kr/content/index.php?gubun=introduct&dname=introduct on February 19.
- Jeong ES. 2012. Quality characteristics of white bread added with hizikia hydrolysate and effect of its lipid metabolism in rats. Ph.D. Thesis, Chonnam National University, Yeosu, Korea.
- Jeong HC and Yoo SS. 2014. Quality characteristics of pan bread added with color barley powder. The Korean Journal of Culinary Research 20, 127-143.
- June JH, Yoon JY and Kim HS. 1998. A study on the development of 'Hodojook'. Korean J Dietary Culture 13, 509-518.
- Kim JS and Kwak EJ. 2011. Quality characteristics of gruel with added yam. The Korean Society of Food Culture 26, 184-189.
- Kim HS, Shin ES and Lyu ES. 2010. Optimization of cookies prepared with Hizikia fusiformis powder using response surface methodology. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 26, 627-635.
- Kim JH, Song HS and Yang JY. 2012. Nutritional characteristics of kochujang added with fermented extracts of Hizikia fusiforme. J Fd Hyg Safety 27, 473-478. http://dx.doi.org/10.13103/jfhs.2012.27.4.473. https://doi.org/10.13103/JFHS.2012.27.4.473
- Kim JM, Suh DS, Kim YS and Kim KO. 2004. Physical and sensory properties of rice gruels and cakes containing different levels of ginkgo nut powder. Korean J Food Sci Technol 36, 410-415.
- Kim KH and Cho HS. 2008. The physicochemical and sensory characteristics of jook containing different levels of skate(raja kenojei) flour. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 18, 207-213.
- Kim MJ, Lee HH, Seo MJ, Kang BW, Park JU and Jeong YK. 2013. Antioxidation activities of organic solvent fractions obtained from seaweed, Hizikia fusiformis. Journal of Life Science 23, 361-367. http://dx.doi.org/10.5352/jls.2013.23.3.361. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.3.361
- Kim SH, Lim SB, Ko YH, Oh CK, Oh MC and Park CS. 1994. Extraction yields of Hizikia fusiforme by solvents and their antimicrobial effects. Bull Korean Fish Soc 27, 462-468.
- Kwon MS, Mun OJ, Bae MJ, Lee SG, Kim MH, Lee SH, Yu KH, Kim YY and Kong CS. 2015. Anti-inflammatory activity of ethanol extracts from Hizikia fusiformis fermented with lactic acid bacteria in lps-stimulated raw264.7 macrophages. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 44, 1450-1457. http://dx.doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.10.1450. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.10.1450
- Kwon YR and Youn KS. 2015. Quality characteristics of Hijikia fusiforme extracts with different extraction method. Korean J Food Preserv 22, 70-77. http://dx.doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.1.70. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.1.70
- Lee SM. 2013b. Quality characteristics of gruel added with ramie leaves. The Korean Journal of Culinary Research 19, 76-86.
- Lee MK, Choi SH, Lim HS and Ahn JS. 2010. Quality characteristics of jook prepared with green laver powder. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 26, 552-558.
- Lee NY. 2013. Antioxidant effect and tyrosinase inhibition activity of seaweeds ethanol extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42, 1893-1898. http://dx.doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.12.1893 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.12.1893
- Lee SM. 2013a. A study on the quality characteristics of gruel supplemented with purple sweet potato. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 23, 234-240.
- Mun SH. 2004. Optimization for preparing conditions of gruel of top shell(Bomal-jook) with Hijikia fusiforme. MS Thesis. Jeju National University, Jeju, Korea.
- Park BH, Cho HS, Jeon ER and Kim SD. 2009. Quality characteristics of jook prepared with lotus leaf powder. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 25, 55-61.
- Park BH and Cho HS. 2009. Quality characteristics of jook prepared with lotus root powder. Family and Environment Research 47, 79-85.
- Park BH, Ko GM and Jeon ER. 2015. Quality characteristics of jook prepared with hericium erinaceum powder. The Korean Society of Food Culture 30, 227-232. http://dx.doi.org/10.7318/kjfc/2015.30.2.227 https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2015.30.2.227
- Park JL, Kim JM and Kim JG. 2003. A study on the optimum ratio of the ingredients in preparation of black sesame gruels. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 19, 685-693.
- Park MR, Yoo C, Chang YN and Ahn BY. 2012. Change of total polyphenol content of fermented gastrodia elata blume and radical scavenging. Korean J Plant Res 25, 379-386. http://dx.doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2012.25.4.379 https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2012.25.4.379
- Statistics Korea. 2015. Fishery Production Survey. Retrieved from http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=101&tblId=DT_1EW0003&vw_cd=&list_id=&scrId=&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=K1&path on February 18.
- Park MY, Lee KS and Park SJ. 2010. Power food-Super food, Chapter 2 of the Well-being food barley. Retrieved from http://terms.naver.com/entry.nhn?docId=777174&cid=48180&categoryId=48247 on February 18.
- Park SH, Lee SJ, Jeon MJ, Kim SY, Mun OJ, Kim MH, Kong CS, Lee DG, Yu KH, Kim YY and Lee SH. 2014. Evaluation of biological activities of fermented Hizikia fusiformis extracts. Journal of Life Science 24, 304-310. http://dx.doi.org/10.5352/jls.2014.24.3.304 https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.3.304
- Seog HM. 2010. Food science characteristics of barley. Food culture. Korea Food Research Institute, Seongnam, Korea. vol 3, 302-305.
- Zhang X, Lee FZ, Kum JS and Eun JB. 2002. The effect of processing condition on physicochemical characteristics in pine nut gruel. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34, 225-231.