- Volume 49 Issue 3
The sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus is a commercially valuable aquaculture species in Korea. Aquaculture species require specific nursery culture conditions to increase survival and growth rates. Sea cucumbers hibernate during the high temperatures of summer and during the low temperatures of winter, and suboptimal temperature conditions decrease sea cucumber growth and survival rates. The natural South Korean environment is very unfavorable for culturing sea cucumber; therefore, developing a recirculating aquaculture system (RAS) capable of breeding and growing sea cucumber year-round is necessary. The aim of this study was to investigate growth performance of juvenile sea cucumber in a RAS. Growth and survival rates of juvenile sea cucumber were high during our 24-week experiment. Sea cucumber survival rates were 87.8-93.3%, and specific growth rates were 0.4689-0.7846.
Sea cucumber;Apostichopus japonicus;Recirculating aquaculture system;RAS;Growth
- Duncan DB. 1955. Multiple range and multiple F test. Biometric 11, 1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Aruety T, Brunner T, Ronen Z, Gross A, Sowers K and Zilberg D. 2016. Decreasing levels of the fish pathogen Streptococcus iniae following inoculation into the sludge digester of a zero-discharge recirculating aquaculture system (RAS). Aquaculture 450, 335-341. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2015.08.002. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2015.08.002
- Chang YQ, Ding J and Song J. 2004. Biology and aquaculture of sea cucumber and sea urchin. China Ocean Press, Beijing, China, 82-88.
- Dong YW, Dong SL, Tian XL, Wang F and Zhang MZ. 2006. Effects of diel temperature fluctuations on growth, oxygen consumption and proximate body composition in the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus Selenka. Aquaculture 255, 514-521. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2005.12.013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2005.12.013
- Han JC, Lee JT, Choi BD and K SJ, 2008. High-density sea cucumber culture in recirculating water system with bio-filter. 8th Japan-Korea Join Sympo on Aquaculture 2008 program and abstracts, 60.
- Han JC, Ticar B, Lee TS, Choi BD and Kang SJ. 2011. A study on overcoming the aestivation of sea cucumber using the recirculating water system at different laboratory scale conditions. The 9th Asian Fisheries & Aquaculture Forum. English abstract, 165.
- Hutchinson W, Jeffrey M, O-Sullivan D, Casement D and Clark S. 2004. Recirculating Aquaculture System Minimum Standard for Design, Construction and Management. South Australia Research and Development Institute.
- Ji TT, Dong YW and Dong SL. 2008. Growth and physiological responses in the sea cucumber, Apostichopus japonicus Selenka: Aestivation and temperature. Aquaculture 283, 180-187. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2008.07.006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2008.07.006
- Kang SJ, Kang SW, Kang JH, Jeong UC, Jin SD, Choi BD and Han JC. 2012. Sea Cucumber Aquaculture Technology. Aquainfo, Seoul, Korea, 16-30.
- Liu Y, Li F, Song B, Sun H, Zhang X and Gu B. 1996. Study on aestivating habit of sea cucumber Apostichopus Japonicus selenka I. Ecological characteristic of aestivation. J Fish Sci China 3, 41-49.
- Kenneth ML and Gary DP. 1988. Using experimental microcosms in shrimp research: The growth-enhancing effect of shrimp pond water. world Aquacult Soc 19, 197-203. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-7345.1988.tb00780.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-7345.1988.tb00780.x
- Li B, Yang H, Zhang T, Zhou Y and Zhang C. 2002. Effect of temperature on respiration and excretion of sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus. Oceanol Limnol Sin 33, 182-187.
- Liu HM, Cai CG and Zhan JM. 1984. Using sea cucumber to treat 10 cases of anaemia. Guangxi Chinese Traditional Medicine 7, 18.
- Qin CX, Dong SL, Tan F, Tian XL, Wang F, Dong YW and Gao QF. 2009. Optimization of stocking density for the sea cucumber, Apostichopus japonicus Selenka, under feed-supplement and non-feed-supplement regimes in pond culture. Journal Ocean University of China, 8, 296-302. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11802-009-0296-1. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11802-009-0296-1
- Sloan NA. 1984. Echinorderm fisheries of the world: a review. Echinodermata (Proceedings of the Fifth International Echinoderm Conference). Balkema Publishers, Rotterdam, Netherlands, 109-124.
- Sun L, Xu YH and Xu HL. 1991. The enforcing effect of acid mucopolysaccharide on cellular immunity. Advanc Biochemi Biophys, 18, 394.
- Wang FY, Yang HS, Gao F and Liu GB. 2008. Effects of acute temperature or salinity stress on the immune response in sea cucumber, Apostichopus japonicas. Com Biochemis Physiol, Part A 151, 491-498. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpa.2008.06.024. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpa.2008.06.024
- Xia SD, Yang HS, Li Y, Liu SL, Zhou Y and Zhang LL. 2012. Effects of different seaweed diets on growth, digestibility, and ammonia-nitrogen production of the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus (Selenka). Aquaculture, 304-308.
- Yokoyama H. 2013. Growth and food source of the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus cultured below fish cages - Potential for integrated multi-trophic aquaculture. Aquaculture 372-375. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2012.10.022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2012.10.022
- Yan FJ, Tian XL, Dong SL, Yang G, Liu RJ and Zhang K. 2014. Seasonal variation of functional diversity of microbial communities in sediment and shelter of sea cucumber (Apostichopus japonicus) cultural ponds. Acta Ecologica Sinica, 34, 11, 2996-3006.
- Yanagisawa T. 1996. Sea-cucumber ranching in Japan and some suggestions for the South Pacific. In: Koloa T, and Udagawa K, eds. Present and future of aquaculture research and development in the Pacific Island countries. Proceedings of the International Workshop, 20-24 November 1995, Tonga. Japan International Cooperation Agency.
- Yang HS, Zhou Y, Zhang T, Yuan XT, Li XX Liu Y and Zhang F. 2006. Metabolic characteristics of sea cucumber, Apostichopus japonicus (Selenka) during aestivation. Experim Mar Biol Ecolo 330, 505-510. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jembe.2005.09.010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jembe.2005.09.010
연구 과제번호 : 육상순환양식시스템에서 배출된 발효고형오물을 이용한 해삼사료 제조 및 사료 평가
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 경상대학교 산학협력단