- Volume 49 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Maturity and Spawning of the Marbled Flounder Pseudopleuronectes yokohamae off the Coast of Pohang, East Sea
동해 포항 연안 문치가자미(Pseudopleuronectes yokohamae)의 성숙과 산란
Kim, So Ra;Cha, Hyung Kee;Lee, Jae Bong;Lee, Hae Won;Yang, Jae Hyeong;Baek, Hea Ja;Kim, Sung Tae
- Received : 2016.02.05
- Accepted : 2016.06.13
- Published : 2016.06.30
Marbled flounder Pseudopleuronectes yokohamae is a commercially important flatfish in the coastal waters of the East Sea off Pohang, Korea. Maturity and spawning dynamics of P. yokohamae were investigated based on samples collected by gill net and long line in the coastal waters off Pohang from January 2013 to December 2014. We analyzed monthly changes in maturity stage, gonadosomatic index (GSI), egg diameter, fecundity, and total length at 50% group maturity. We found that the spawning period was December to February, wherein fecundity ranged from 55,760 eggs at 20.40 cm total length (TL) to 1,559,007 eggs at 46.6 cm TL. The relationship between TL and fecundity (F) was F = 0.0017 TL3.5604 (R2 = 0.6984), and F increased with increasing TL. We estimated the TL at 50% group maturity as 27.4 cm for female and 23.5 cm for male P. yokohamae, respectively. The results from this research will aid in the development of policies on season and minimum catch length for sustainable production of P. yokohamae. We propose that it is necessary to conduct long-term ecological monitoring for this species because biological properties such as spawning ecology and growth performance are being affected by climate change.
Maturity;Spawning;Marbled flounder;Pseudopleuronectes yokohamae;East Sea
- Aida K. 1991. Environmental regulation of reproductive rhythms in teleosts. Bull Inst Zool Academia Sinica Monograph 16, 173-187.
- Byun SG. 2002. Reproductive biological characteristics and early development of slime flounder, Microstomus achne, Thesis, Yosu National University, Yosu, Korea.
- Cha HK, Kang SK, Choi JH, Oh TY and Seo YI. 2011. Reproduction of the shotted halibut in the southern Korean waters. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 47, 194-202. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.3.194
- Cha HK, Kwon HC, Lee SI, Yang JH, Chang DS and Chun YY. 2008. Maturity and spawning of Korean flounder Glyptocephalus stelleri (Schmidt) in the East Sea of Korea. Korean J Ichthyol 20, 263-271.
- Fish Base. 2015. www.fishbase.org. on 2015/10/10.
- Cha HK, Park KY, Lee SI, Park HW, Kwon HC and Choi SH. 2006. Maturity and spawning of brown sole, Pleuronectes herzensteini (Jordan et Snyder) in the East Sea of Korea. Kor J Ichthyol 18, 363-367.
- Choe SH, Hur YH, Chun YY and Zhang CI. 1999. Growth and maturity of pointedhead flounder, Cleisthenes Pinetorum herzensteini (Schmidt) in the East Sea. J Korean Soc Fish Res 2, 1-13.
- Choi YM, Yoon BS, Park JH, Park KY, Sohn MH, Lee JB and Kim JW. 2013. Maturation and spawning of the flathead flounder Hippoglossoides dubius off the coast of Gangwon Province, East Sea of Korea. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 46, 835-842. http://dx.doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2013.0835. https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2013.0835
- Han KH, Park JT, Jin DS, Jang SI, Joung HH and Cho JK. 2001. Morphological development of larvae and juveniles of the marbled sole, Limanda yokohamae. Korean J Ichthyol 13, 161-165.
- Hong BK, Kim JK, Park KD, Jeon YY, Hwang KS, Kim YS and Park KY. 2008. Species composition of fish collected in gill nets from Youngil Bay, East Sea of Korea. J Kor Fish Soc 41, 353-362.
- Hoshino N, Yamaguchi H, Mihara Y and Maruyama S. 2012. Comparison between surface reading and cross-section method for age determination in the flathead flounder, Korean flounder, and scale-eye plaice in the sea of Japan, off Hokkaido. Sci Rep Hokkaido Fish Res Inst 82, 1-7.
- Huh SH, Nam KM, Park JM, Jeong JM and Baeck GW. 2012. Feeding habits of the marbled sole, Pleuronectes yokohamae in the coastal waters off Tongyeong, Korea. Korean J Ichthyol 24, 77-83.
- Ji HS, Kim JK and Kim BJ. 2016. Molecular phylogeny of the families Pleuronectidae and Poecilopsettidae(PICES, Pleuronectiformes) from Korea, with a proposal for a new classification. Ocean Sci J (in press).
- Kim HY, Huh SJ, Kim ST and Seo YI. 2015. Age and growth of marbled sole, Pleuronectes yokohamae (Günther) in the southern waters of Korea. J Kor Soc Fish Technol 51, 35-41. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.1.035
- Joo HW and Gwak WS. 2014. Estimation of early growth and spawning period of marbled sole (Pseudo Pleuronectes yokohamae) in the water off Namhae of Korea as indicated from daily growth increments in otoliths J Kor Soci Oceanogr 19, 35-40.
- Jun JC, Sim DS, Kim YH and Chung EY. 2003. Sexual maturation of the stone flounder, Kareius bicoloratus, on the west coast of Korea. Korean J Ichthyol 15, 259-271.
- Kang YJ, Lee TY and Lee BD. 1985. Reproduction and population dynamics of marbled sole Limanda yokohamae 2.population dynamics. Bull Korean Fish Soc 18, 261-265.
- Kim IS, Choi Y, Lee CL, Lee YJ, Kim BJ and Kim JH. 2005. Illustrated book of korean fishes. Hwang J.S. KyoHak Publ. Seoul, Korea, pp. 482.
- Kim IS, Youn CH. 1994. Taxonomic revision of the flounders (Pisces : Pleuronectiformes) from Korea. Korean J Ichthyol 6, 99-131.
- Kim YH, Kang YJ and Bae IJ. 1991. Age and growth of marbled sole Limanda yokohamae (Günther). Korean J Ichthyol 3, 130-139.
- KODC. 2015. kodc.nifs.go.kr.
- Kooka K, Takatsu T, Naga T, Hayakawa Y, Kamiharako T and Takahashi T. 2000. Age and growth of marbled sole(Pleuronectes yokohamae) in the coastal waters of western aomori prefecture, Japan. Bull Fac Fish Hokkaido Univ 51, 121-126.
- Kume G, Horiguchi T, GOTO A, Shiraishi H, Shibata Y, Morita M and Shimizu M. 2006. Seasonal distribution, age, growth, and reproductive biology of marbled sole Pleuronectes yokohamae in Tokyo Bay, Japan. Fish Sci 72, 289-298. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2006.01150.x
- Na JH, Kim JK and Kim YU. 2000. Effect of water temperature in egg development of Limanda yokohamae. Abstract in the annual meeting of Cooperative Fisheries Society in 2000, 477-478.
- Lee JB, Shin YJ, Lee SJ, Lee JH, Choi YM, Lee DW, Kim SW and Yang JH. 2012. Seasonal variations of fisheries resources composition in the coastal ecosystem of the Yongil Bay, Korea J Environ Sci Inter 21, 1275-1285. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2012.21.10.1275
- Lee JH, Kodama K, Oyama M, Kume G, Takao Y, Shiraishi H and Horihuchi T. 2009. Changes in growth of marbled sole Pseudopleuronectes yokohamae between high and low stock-size periods in Tokyo Bay, Japan. Fish Sci 75, 929-935. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12562-009-0117-x
- Lee TY, Kang YJ and Lee BD. 1985. Reproduction and population dynamics of marbled sole Limanda yokohamae 1.Reproduction. Bull Korean Fish Soc 18, 253-261.
- National Fisheries Research & Development Institute (NFRDI). 2004a. Commercial fishes of the coastal & offshore waters in Korea(second edition). NFRDI, Busan, Korea, pp. 258.
- National Fisheries Research & Development Institute (NFRDI). 2004b. Fisheries resources research techniques. NFRDI, Busan, Korea, pp.13.
- National Fisheries Research & Development Institute (NFRDI). 2014. Technical Report of National Fisheries Research and Development Institute. NFRDI, Busan, Korea, pp. 695-703.
- Seo YI, Joo H, Lee SK, Kim HY, Ko JC, Choi MS, Kim JI and Oh TY. 2010. Maturity and spawning of marbled sole Pleuronectes yokohamae in the Southern Sea of Korea. Korean J Ichthyol 22, 83-89.
- Shafieipour MM, T Takahashi, K Ishino, T Takatsu and T Nakatani. 1999. Age growth of marbled sole Pleuronectes yokohamae in Kikonai Bay, Hokkaido, Japan. Iran J Fish Sci 1, 5-21.
- Solomon G, Sano M, Simizu M and Nose Y. 1987. Age and growth of the Pleuronectid flounder Limanda yokohamae in Tokyo Bay, Japan. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 53, 711-716. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.53.711
- Zhang CI. 2010. Marine fisheries resource ecology (Fisheries Science Series #1). Pukyong National University Press, Busan, Korea, pp. 308-309.
- Suzuki K. 1967. Age and growth of Linnaeus yokohamae (GÜNTHER) in Ise Bay. Rep Fac Fish, Pref Univ Mie 6, 17-27.
- Tanda M, Nakamura Y and Okamoto S. 2008. Maturity and spawning season of marbled sole Pleuronectes yokohamae, and comparison of reproductive characters between different survey periods in Harima Nada and Osaka Bay, the Seto Inland Sea, Japan. Bulletin of the Japanese Society of Fisheries Oceanography 72, 273-281.
- Yusa T. 1960. Difference of structures of eggs and larvae between Limanda yokohamae Gunther and Limanda schrencki Schmidt. Bull Mar Biol Station Ashamushi 10, 127-131.