- Volume 26 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Development and Application of a Novel Mammalian Cell Culture System for the Biocompatibility and Toxicity of Polymer Films and Metal Plate Biomaterials
고분자필름과 금속막 의료소재에 대한 생체적합성 및 독성 평가를 위한 새로운 세포배양시스템의 개발 및 적용
Kwak, Moon Hwa;Yun, Woo Bin;Kim, Ji Eun;Sung, Ji Eun;Lee, Hyun Ah;Seo, Eun Ji;Nam, Gug Il;Jung, Young Jin;Hwang, Dae Youn
- Received : 2016.02.02
- Accepted : 2016.04.07
- Published : 2016.06.30
Biomaterials including polymer, metal, ceramic, and composite have been widely applied for medical uses as medical fibers, artificial blood vessels, artificial joints, implants, soft tissue, and plastic surgery materials owing to their physicochemical properties. However, the biocompatibility and toxicity for film- and plate-form biomaterials is difficult to measure in mammalian cells because there is no appropriate incubation system. To solve these problems, we developed a novel mammalian cell culture system consisting of a silicone ring, top panel, and bottom panel and we applied two polymer films (PF) and one metal plate (MP). This system was based on the principal of sandwiching a test sample between the top panel and the bottom panel. Following the assembly of the culture system, SK-MEL-2 cells were seeded onto Styela Clava Tunic (SCT)-PF, NaHCO3-added SCT (SCTN)-PF, and magnesium MP (MMP) and incubated at 37℃ for 24 hr and 48 hr. An MTT assay revealed that cell viability was maintained at a normal level in the SCT-PF culture group at 24 or 48 hr, although it rapidly decreased in the SCTN-PF culture group at 48 hr. Furthermore, the cell viability in the MMP culture group was very similar to that of the control group after incubation for 24 hr and 48 hr. Together, these results suggest the sandwich-type mammalian culture system developed here has the potential for the evaluation of the biocompatibility and toxicity of cells against PF- and MP-form biomaterials.
Biomaterials;cell viability;metal plate;polymer film;toxicity
- Choi, S. Y., Choi, E. Y., Lee, K. E., Song, A. S., Park, S. H. and Lee, S. C. 2012. Preparation and quality analysis of fish containing Styela clava tunic. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 41, 1591-1595. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.11.1591
- Buddy, D. R. 2004. Biomaterials science: an introduction to materials in medicine, pp. 12-21, 2th ed., Elsevier Academic Press: 201 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Cheng, Y., Lu, J., Liu, S., Zhao, P., Lu, G. and Chen, J. 2014. The preparation, characterization and evaluation of regenerated cellulose/collagen composite hydrogel films. Carbohydr. Polym. 107, 57-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2014.02.034
- Choi, S. M., Lee, J. K., Ko, S. H., Um, H. S. and Chang, B. S. 2005. Osteoblast adhesion and differentiation on magnesium titanate surface. J. Kor. Acad. Periodontol. 35, 851-861. https://doi.org/10.5051/jkape.2005.35.4.851
- Gerlier, D. and Thomasset, N. 1896. Use of MTT colorimetric assay to measure cell activation. J. Immunol. Methods 94, 57-63.
- Dominique, L. and Rovert, L. 1990. In Vitro cytotoxic effects of cobalt-containing dusts on mouse peritoneal and rat alveolar macrophages. Environ. Res. 52, 187-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-9351(05)80253-1
- Gailit, J. and Ruoslahti, E. 1988. Regulation of the fibronectin receptor affinity by divalent cations. J. Biol. Chem. 263, 12927-12932.
- Gao, L., Gan, H., Meng, Z., Gu, R., Wu, Z., Zhang, L., Zhu, X., Sun, W., Li, J., Zheng, Y. and Dou, G. 2014. Effects of genipin cross-linking of chitosan hydrogels on cellular adhesion and viability. Colloids Surf. B Biointerfaces 117, 398-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2014.03.002
- Jung, Y. J. 2008. Properties of regenerated cellulose films prepared from the tunicate Styela clava. J. Kor. Fish. Soc. 41, 237-242.
- Jung, Y. J., An, B. J., Hwang, D. Y., Kim, H. D., Park, S. M., Cho, H. and Kim, H. S. 2008. Preparation and properties of regenerated cellulosic biomaterial made from Styela clava tunics. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 12, 71-76.
- Kim, Y. S. 2004. Biomaterials in total hip arthroplasty. J. Kor. Hip. Soc. 16, 89-92.
- Krause, A., Cowles, E. A. and Gronowicz, G. 2000. Integrin-mediated signaling in osteoblasts on titanium implant materials. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 52, 738-747. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4636(20001215)52:4<738::AID-JBM19>3.0.CO;2-F
- Kyriacos, A. A., Gabriele, G. N. and Agrawal, C. M. 1996. Sterilization, toxicity, biocompatibility and clinical applications of polylactic acid/polyglycolic acid copolymers. Biomaterials 17, 93-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/0142-9612(96)85754-1
- Lee, S. J., Kang, S. J., Kim, H. Y., Lee, J. H., Kim, E. Y., Kwon, S. Y. and Khang, G. 2014. Adhesion and proliferation behavior of retinal pigment epithelial cells on hesperidin/PLGA films. Polym-Korea 38, 24-30. https://doi.org/10.7317/pk.2014.38.1.24
- Wang, G., Li, J., Zhang, W., Xu, L., Pan, H., Wen, J., Wu, Q., She, W., Jiao, T., Liu, X. and Jiang, X. 2014. Magnesium ion implantation on a micro/nanostructured titanium surface promotes its bioactivity and osteogenic differentiation function. Int. J. Nanomedicine 9, 2387-2398. https://doi.org/10.2217/nnm.14.133
- Park, J. B. and Bronzino, J. D. 2000. Biomaterials: principles and applications, pp. 55-79, 2th ed., CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- Robert, L. 2000. Biomaterials: Status, challenges, and perspectives. AIChE J. 46, 1286-1289. https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690460702
- Song, S. H., Kim, J. E., Lee, Y. J., Kwak, M. H., Sung, G. Y., Kwon, S. H., Son, H. J., Lee, H. S., Jung, Y. J. and Hwang, D. Y. 2014. Cellulose film regenerated from Styela clava tunics have biodegradability, toxicity and biocompatibility in the skin of SD rats. J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med. 25, 1519-1530. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10856-014-5182-8
- Xiaomin, Y., Kang, Y., Shengwei, W., Xiliang, C., Feng, Y., Jungang, L., Mingwang, M. and Zhiyong, Z. 2010. Cytotoxicity and wound healing properties of PVA/ws-chitosan/glycerol hydrogels made by irradiation followed by freeze–thawing. Radiat. Phys. Chem. 79, 606-611. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2009.12.017
- Xu, C. X., Jin, H., Chung, Y. S., Shin, J. Y., Woo, M. A., Lee, K. H., Palmos, G. N., Choi, B. D. and Cho, M. H. 2008. Chondroitin sulfate extracted from the Styela clava tunic suppresses TNF-α-induced expression of inflammatory factors, VCAM-1 and iNOS by blocking Akt/NF-κB signal in JB6 cells. Cancer Lett. 264, 93-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2008.01.022
- Xu, R., Luo, G., Xia, H., He, W., Zhao, J., Liu, B., Tan, J., Zhou, J., Liu, D., Wang, Y., Yao, Z., Zhan, R., Yang, S. and Wu, J. 2015. Novel bilayer wound dressing composed of silicone rubber with particular micropores enhanced wound re-epithelialization and contraction. Biomaterials 40, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2014.10.077
- Zengjie, F., Bin, L., Jinqing, W., Songying, Z., Qianqian, L., Peiwei, G., Limin, M. and Shengrong, Y. 2014. A novel wound dressing based on Ag/Graphene polymer hydrogel: effectively kill bacteria and accelerate wound healing. Adv. Funct. Mater. 24, 3933-3943. https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201304202