- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Functional Change of Accommodation and Convergence in the Mid-Forties by Using Smartphone
스마트폰 사용에 의한 40대 중년층의 조절 및 폭주기능 변화
- Received : 2016.05.26
- Accepted : 2016.06.22
- Published : 2016.06.30
Purpose: The present study was aimed to investigate the effect of excessive near work by using a smartphone on subjective symptoms and accommodative and convergent function in their 40s. Methods: A total of 40 subjects(male, 10; female, 30; age,
Mid-Forties;Presbyopia;Non-presbyopia;Smartphone;Accommodative amplitude;Accommodative facility;Relative accommodation;Fusional vergence;Heterophoria;Subjective discomfort
- Kang WS, Kim MS, Go JU. Effects of the smartphone information use and performance on life satisfaction among the elderly. J Korean Gerontological Soc. 2013; 33(1):199-214.
- KISA(Korea Internet & Security Agency). 2012 Survey on the Smart Phone Usage, 2013. http://isis.kisa.or.kr/board/index.jsp?pageId=060200&bbsId=3&itemId=799&page-Index=2(20 May 2016).
- Kim TJ. Presbyopia and contact lenses. J Korean Med Assoc. 2013;56(4):303-309. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2013.56.4.303
- US Census Bureau. Population by Age and Sex, 2013. https://www.census.gov/population/age/data/2013comp.html (17 May 2016).
- KOSIS(Korean Statistical Information Service). Resident midyear population, 2015. http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=101&tblId=DT_1B040M5&vw_cd=MT_ZTITLE&list_id=A6&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&language= kor&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=E1(17 May 2016).
- Thomson WD. Eye problems and visual display terminals the facts and the fallacies. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt 1998; 18(2):111-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0275-5408(97)00067-7
- Seomoon GA, Kim EY. Factors of video display terminal syndrome in elementary school students who use digital textbooks. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu. 2012;18(1):141-148. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.141
- Kwon KI, Woo JY, Park M, Kim SR. The change of accommodative function by the direction of eye movements during computer game. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2012;17(2):177-184.
- Kim SI, Kwon KI, Lee J, Lee HJ, Park M, Kim SR. The change of near point of convergence and fusional reserves after computer gaming with different direction of eye movement. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2013;18(1):37-43. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2013.18.1.037
- Tosha C, Borsting E, Ridder WH, Chase C. Accommodation response and visual discomfort. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2009;29(6):625-633. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-1313.2009.00687.x
- Kang YJ, Leem HS. Effects of smartphone usage with contents and smartphone addiction on accommodative function. Korean J Vis Sci. 2015;17(3):289-297.
- Park KJ, Lee WJ, Lee NG, Lee JY, Son JS, Yu DS. Changes in near lateral phoria and near point of convergence after viewing smartphones. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2012;17(2):171-176.
- Kim BH, Han SH, Shin YG, Kim DY, Park JY, Sin WC, Yoon JH. Aided distance visual acuity and refractive error changes by using smartphone. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2012;17(3):305-309.
- Park M, Ahn YJ, Kim SJ, You J, Park KE, Kim SR. Changes in accommodative function of young adults in their twenties following smartphone use. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2014;19(2):253-260. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2014.19.2.253
- Kim HM, Son JS, Lee WJ, Lee JY, Cho HG. Comparison of relative accommodation, accommodative facility, and addition based on occupation of initial presbyopia. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2009;14(4):59-63.
- Anderson HA, Stuebing KK. Subjective versus objective accommodative amplitude: preschool to presbyopia. Optom Vis Sci. 2014;91(11):1290-301. https://doi.org/10.1097/OPX.0000000000000402
- Pan CW, Cheung CY, Aung T, Cheung CM, Zheng YF, Wu RY et al. Differential associations of myopia with major age-related eye diseases: the Singapore Indian Eye Study. Ophthalmology, 2013;120(2):284-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2012.07.065
- MOEL(Ministry of Employment and Labor, Korea). Guidance for employee using visual display terminal, 2015. http://www.moel.go.kr/view.jsp?cate=3&sec=1&smenu=2&mode=view&bbs_cd=116&state=A&seq=1442564393512(20 May 2016).
- Rosenfield M, Cohen AS. Repeatability of clinical measurements of the amplitude of accommodation. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 1996;16(3):247-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/0275-5408(95)00093-3
- Yang SN, Tai YC, Hayes JR, Sheedy J. Superior smartphone display quality enhances viewing performance and comfort. Faculty Scholarship(COO). 2011;17.
- Kim DJ, Cha JW, Park MC, Lee WJ. The influence of temperature and relative humidity variation on the dry eye for using smart phone. Korean J Vis Sci. 2014;16(3):397-407.
- Yothers T, Wick B, Morse SE. Clinical testing of accommodative facility: development of amplitude-scaled test. Optometry. 2002;73(2):91-102.
- Scheiman M, Wick B. Clinical management of binocular vision: heterophoric, accommodative, and eye movement disorders, 4th Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2013;22-65.
- Sreenivasan V, Irving EL, Bobier WR. Effect of heterophoria type and myopia on accommodative and vergence responses during sustained near activity in children. Vision Res. 2012;15(57):9-17.
- Changes in Heterophoria and Fusional Vergence after Near Work with Smartphone and Paper Book vol.21, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2016.21.4.385
- The Change of Accommodative Function of Vergence Anomalies Subjects in their Twenties after Near Work with Smartphone vol.22, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2017.22.1.71
- The Changes in Convergence Function of Accommodative Anomalies in their Twenties after Watching Video on a Smartphone vol.22, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2017.22.2.133
- Ocular and visual discomfort associated with smartphones, tablets and computers: what we do and do not know pp.08164622, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1111/cxo.12851