- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study of the Refractive Errors Comparition between City and Rural Elementary School Children
도시와 농촌지역 초등학생들의 굴절상태 비교에 관한 연구
- Received : 2016.04.09
- Accepted : 2016.05.18
- Published : 2016.06.30
Purpose: This study was designed to be used as the basic visual function data after analyzing and investigating the refractive errors variation between city and rural elementary school children. Methods: To compare with city and rural areas, 2501 elementary school children who lived in Mokpo, Yeongam, Muan, Hampyeong were participated. Objective refraction, Subjective refraction and binocular function examinations were measured. Results: Mean of refractive error of rural areas was -1.47 D in 2012 years, -1.52 D in 2013 years, and -1.40 D in 2014 years. However average of refractive error was -1.65 D in 2012 years, -1.76 D in 2013 years and -1.75 D in 2014 years who lives in city areas. Average myopia was showed higher who lives in rural areas elementary school children than city areas elementary school children. There were significant differences between rural areas and city areas elementary school children (p = 0.03), but there were no significant differences by averagre hyperopia (p = 0.32). Average myopia was showed the tendency of increase as the students get older by analysis compare with rural and city areas elementary school children. It also showed high prevalence of myopia who lives in city areas elementary school children compare with lives in rural areas elementary school children. Conclusions: It is the very important to performed regular visual acuity test and correction during the largest refractive change period and it is necessary to have experts in the visual acuity test.
Retractive errors;elementary school children;Myopia;Hyperopia Rural area;City area
- Saw SM, Nieto FJ, Katz J, Schein OD, Levy B, Chew SJ. Factors related to the progression of myopia in Singaporean children. Optom Vis Sci. 2000;77(10):549-554. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006324-200010000-00009
- Park EK. Relationship of visual acuity and refractive error in elementary school students. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2008;13(4):141-143.
- Ho CS, Nq CB, Chan E, Wijaya R, Ashok V, Tang W et al. Uncorrected refractive error in Singapore teenagers. Br J Ophthalmol. 2006;90(2):202-207. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjo.2005.079343
- Choi YH, Choi YY. The difference comparison according to child refractive method and effect of life style on myopia. J Korean Ophthalmol Soc. 2005;46(11):1841-1847.
- MOE(Ministry of Education, Korea). Sample Survey results announcement about physical development, health, etc of elementary, middle and high school students, 2016. http://www.moe.go.kr/web/106888/ko/board/view.do?bbsId=339&boardSeq=58466(21 February 2016).
- Kim IS, Jang JU. A study of research on uncorrected refractive error in elementary school children in Mokpo. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2011;16(3):313-317.
- Park JH, Chun JS, Lee SH. The correlates analysis between parental socioeconomic factors and eye health of the primary school children. Korean J Vis Sci. 2011;13(1):11-19.
- Yun MO, Mah KC. Comparative analysis of refractive error in rural and urban elementary schoolchildren. Korean J Vis Sci. 2007;9(3):269-281.
- Yun MO, Eom JH, Mah KC. The survey of environmental factors by questionnaries with refractive state rural and urban elementary schoolchildren. Korean J Vis Sci. 2008; 10(2):87-97.
- Cho YO. A study on the refraction state of rural primary school children. MS Thesis. Hanyang University, Seoul. 1982;18-23.
- Shin KH. A study on the refraction state of urban primary school children. MS Thesis. Hanyang University, Seoul. 1982;16-28.
- Mah KC, Lee KJ, Jang TW. The effect of ocular growth to the progression of myopia in children who live in Seoul. Korean J Vis Sci. 2002;4(1):1-9.
- Lee WS, Ye KH, Shin BJ. A study on the progression and prevalence of myopia according to age for the last five years: from 2008 to 2012. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2014;19(1):121-133. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2014.19.1.121
- Dandona R, Dandona L, Srinivas M, Sahare P, Narsaiah S, Muoz SR et al. Refractive error in children in a rural population in India. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002; 43:615-622.
- Koo BS, Kim JC, Yang HN. A survey of the visual impairment and the refractive errors in urban school children in Korea. J Korean Soc School Health. 1988;1(1): 103-113.
- Nam WG, Cho HG, Son JS, Kwak HW, Moon BY. Examination of refractive correction and accommodative ability on myopic elementary school children wearing glasses in Jinju city. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2009;14(1):109-114.
- Saw SM, Chua WH, Hong CY, Wu HM, Chan WY, Chia KS et al. Nearwork in early-onset myopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002;43(2):332-339.
- Saw SM, Zhang MZ, Hong RZ, Fu ZF, Pang MH, Tan DT. Near-work activity, night-lights, and myopia in the Singapore-China study. Arch Ophthalmol. 2002;120(5): 620-627. https://doi.org/10.1001/archopht.120.5.620
- Jang JU, Park IJ. The study of prevalence rate of refractive error among the primary students in Jeollanamdo. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2015;20(3):311-318. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2015.20.3.311