- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Case Report of the Squamous Cell Carcinoma in a Patient with Oral Lichen Planus
- Woo, Keoncheol ;
- Oh, Duwon ;
- Kwon, Jeong-Seung ;
- Ahn, Hyung-Joon ;
- Choi, Jong-hoon
- Received : 2016.05.19
- Accepted : 2016.06.11
- Published : 2016.06.30
Lichen planus is a chronic disease characterized by bilateral and multiple lesions on the skin or oral mucosa. Lichen planus is caused by immune mediated degeneration along the border between epithelium and connective tissue. The incidence of oral squamous cell carcinoma in patients diagnosed with oral lichen planus (OLP) is reported to be between 0.4%-5.6% in different studies and the World Health Organization has categorized lichen planus as "a potentially malignant disorder". However, the correlation between OLP and oral cancer still remains controversial as some reported that the reason for increased incidence of squamous cell carcinoma in OLP patient is misdiagnosis of dysplastic lesion as OLP. This report aims to discuss the correlation between OLP and oral cancer through a case of middle aged woman diagnosed with OLP who was successfully treated but developed squamous cell carcinoma 8 years later.
Carcinoma, squamous cell;Lichen planus, oral;Precancerous
- Scully C. Oral and maxillofacial medicine: the basis of diagnosis and treatment. 3rd ed. London: Elsevier Health Sciences UK; 2012.
- Krutchkoff DJ, Cutler L, Laskowski S. Oral lichen planus: the evidence regarding potential malignant transformation. J Oral Pathol 1978;7:1-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.1978.tb01879.x
- Rad M, Hashemipoor MA, Mojtahedi A, et al. Correlation between clinical and histopathologic diagnoses of oral lichen planus based on modified WHO diagnostic criteria. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2009;107:796-800. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2009.02.020
- Gonzalez-Moles MA, Scully C, Gil-Montoya JA. Oral lichen planus: controversies surrounding malignant transformation. Oral Dis 2008;14:229-243. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2008.01441.x
- Fitzpatrick SG, Hirsch SA, Gordon SC. The malignant transformation of oral lichen planus and oral lichenoid lesions: a systematic review. J Am Dent Assoc 2014;145:45-56. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.2013.10
- van der Meij EH, van der Waal I. Lack of clinicopathologic correlation in the diagnosis of oral lichen planus based on the presently available diagnostic criteria and suggestions for modifications. J Oral Pathol Med 2003;32:507-512. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0714.2003.00125.x
- SEER stat fact sheets: oral cavity and pharynx cancer [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Cancer Institute; c2013 [cited 2016 Mar 20]. Available from: http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/oralcav.html.