- Volume 66 Issue 4
This study examined the consumption of licensed sports fashion products by sports fans in order to provide useful information to apparel companies that are interested in sports sponsorship marketing. Grounded theory approach was adopted to explore consumers' attitude toward the sponsoring companies, and motives of buying licensed fashion products. In-depth interviews were conducted with female fans of professional baseball clubs. The main phenomena of interest was consumer purchase of licensed fashion product, with the emphasis on cultural consumption as a causal condition. Providing support for victory, vicarious consumption, social identification, and needs to differentiate were identified as strategies related to licensed product purchase. Economic situations and limitations to purchase are identified as the mediating conditions. The study identified the effects of the consumption on the fan as well as the sponsoring companies as consequences of the phenomena. Sports marketing strategies were suggested for apparel companies based on the analysis of the consumption rituals for licensed fashion goods.
소비의례;근거이론;스포츠 라이선싱 패션제품;스포츠 마케팅
- Baudrillard, J. (1970). La societe de consummation. Paris: Gallimard.
- Glaser, B. G. & Strauss, A. L. (1967). The discovery of grounded theory: Strategies for qualitative research, Chicago, Aldine Publishing Company.
- Jamsil Stadium, filled with flickering jumpers [유광점퍼로 번쩍인 잠실] (October 17, 2013). Retrieved from http://chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/10/16/2013101604908.html
- Kang, Y.-R., & Kim, M.-Y. (2016). The sponsorship-marketing effectiveness of information consistency between the fashion brands and the sponsored events. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 66(2), 76-89. https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2016.66.2.076
- Kim, H. S., Lee, J. M., & Kim, J. J. (2012). The estimation of professional baseball market and the strategies for improved efficiency. KIET issue paper.
- Kim, J. W. (2010). The Analysis of Overall TV Sponsorship Effects of Official Sponsors for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and KOC. Korean Society for Sports Management, 15(4), 1-12.
- Kim, S. (2009). A Comparative study between Korean and Chinese consumers on the effects of culture psychology and innovativeness on the consumption patterns (Unpulished Master's Thesis). Chosun University, Kwangju, Republic of Korea.
- Kim, S. M. (2009). The influence of sports marketing on companies and the company image (Unpublished Master's Thesis). Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Kim, Y. T. (2005). Study on marketing-mix strategy based on analysis result of consumer's purchase behavior, regarding licensing products promoted by KBL's team (Unpublished Master's Thesis). Myungji University, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Lee, J. W. (2013), Sports Promotion [스포츠 프로모션]. Seoul: Communication Books [커뮤니케이션북스].
- Lee, M.-S., & Lim, S.-M. (2014). A comparative study on the color features and images of professional football uniforms in Korea and foreign leagues. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 64(3), 108-125.
- McCracken, G. (1986). Culture and consumption: A theoretical account of the structure and movement of the cultural meaning of consumer good. Journal of Consumer Research, 13(1), 71-84. https://doi.org/10.1086/209048
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism (2015). 2014 Sports white book.
- Munn, D. N. (1973). Symbolism in a ritual context: Aspects of symbolic action. In J. L. Honigmann (Ed.), Handbook of social and cultural anthropology (pp. 579-612). Chicago: Rand McNally.
- New customs and trends in baseball fields [야구장 신풍 속도와 트렌드](2011, November 28). Retrieved from http://sports.media.daum.net/sports/baseball/newsview?newsId=20111128220313485
- Park, G. Y. (2007). The impact of sports sponsorship on corporate image and purchase intention (Unpublished Master's Thesis). Chonbuk National University, Chonju, Republic of Korea.
- Schaaf, P. (1995). Sports marketing: It's not just a game any more. Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books.
- Shin, Y. R. (2000). A study on sports property licensing: Focused on intellectual property (Unpublished Master's Thesis). Kookmin University Graduate School of Sports Industry, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Sin, Y. S. (2007). The effect of corporate sponsorship in pro sport on consumer trust and purchase decision making (Unpublished Master's Thesis). Korea National Sport University, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Sleight, S. (1989). Sponsorship: What is and how to use it. London: McGraw-Hill.
- Smith, G. J., Patterson, B., Williams, T., & Hogg, J. (1981). Profile of the deeply committed male sports fan. Arena Review, 5(2), 26-44.
- Song, G. S. (2007). The Influence on corporation's sponsorship effects by association & attribution of sports sponsor (Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation). Cheongju University, Cheongju, Republic of Korea.
- Strauss, A, L., & Corbin, J, M. (1998). Basic of qualitative research: Techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory(2nd Ed.). Thousand Oaks: SAGE Publications.