- Volume 33 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Health behavior and status associated with junk food consumption in adolescents: Data from the Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey
청소년건강행태온라인조사를 이용한 청소년의 정크푸드 섭취실태 및 건강행태와 건강수준
- Received : 2016.02.20
- Accepted : 2016.06.10
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to evaluate effects of soda, fast food, and ramen consumption on dietary habit and health behavior of adolescents and to investigate pathway of which junk food influencing health status. Methods: The findings of this study were based on the data obtained from the 2015 11th Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey. The analysis was accomplished using structural equation model which was designed based on the ideas that junk food consumption affects health status not only directly but also indirectly through eating habit and health behavior. Results: The structural models of both sexes revealed that the more they consumed junk food, the more negative effects it had on eating habit and health behavior. In addition, junk food consumption had an negative influence on health status directly and indirectly through eating habit and health behavior. Conclusions: The study results imply that school health education regarding proper eating habit should be implemented and that related policies should be established since complex individual, social, and environmental factors contribute to adolescents' eating habit.
junk food;dietary habit;health behavior;health status
- Bowman, S. A., Gortmaker, S. L., Ebbeling, C. B., Pereira, M. A., & Ludwig, D. S. (2004). Effects of fast-food consumption on energy intake and diet quality among children in a national household survey. Pediatrics, 113, 112-118. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.113.1.112
- Choi, M. K. (2007). A study on the relationship between fast food consumption patterns and nutrition knowledge, dietary attitude of middle and high school students in Busan. The Korean Journal of Culinary Research, 13, 188-200.
- Choi, S. K, Choi, H. J., Chang, N.S., Cho, S. H., Choi, Y. S., Park, H. K.,... Kim, G. H. (2008). Snacking behaviors of middle and high school students in Seoul. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 13(2), 199-206.
- Chung, S. K., & Kim, J. S. (2014). A meta-analysis of factors related to adolescent problem drinking. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 31(1), 71-83.
- Do, J. H. (2013). The data submitted by Ministry of Education for the annual parliamentary audit. Seoul, National Assembly.
- Ha, Y. S., Lee, J. Y., Kim, H. S., Park, Y. H., Moon, S. Y., Kim, S. J.,... Kim, H. Y. (2012). Child health nursing (3rd ed). Seoul: Shinkwangpub.
- Kim, G. N. (2014). Relationship between instant food intake and health behavior and the sense of well-being of juveniles (Master's thesis). Kyungpook National University, Daegu, Korea.
- Kim, H. S. (2013). Study on relationship between satisfaction, loyalty, and subjective quality of life: generation Y consumers in university food service. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 15(1), 489-500.
- Kim, H. T., Yun, M. E., & Chun, S. S. (2014). The influence of adolescents' cognitive stress on their suicidal intention: Focusing on mediating effect of physical activity, problem drinking, cognitive depression. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 31(3), 73-81.
- Kim, J. H., & Lee, D., Y. (2012). Factors associated with consumption of fast food by Korean adolescents-Analysis of 2007 survey data from the national youth policy institute-. The Korean Journal of Obesity, 21(1), 37-44. https://doi.org/10.7570/kjo.2012.21.1.37
- Kim, M. O., Yu, M., Ju, S. J., Kim, K. S., Choi, J. H., & Kim H. J. (2013). Depression cognition and health promoting behaviors of smoking and non-smoking college students. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 30(3), 35-46. https://doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2013.30.3.035
- Lee, S. H., Yun, M. E., & Chun, S. S. (2014). Relationship between Korean juveniles' dietary habits and drinking alcohol-The result of Korean Youth Behavior Web-based Survey 2012-The Journal of Korean Society for School & community Health Education, 15(2), 23-38.
- Lee, S. Y., Lee, S. S., Kim, G. M., & Kim, S. C. (2012). A study on the general and nutritional information of children's preference foods sold in the middle.high school stores. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 17(3), 302-311. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2012.17.3.302
- Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health and Welfare, & Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2014). Reports on the Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey, Cheongju City, Chungbuk: Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.
- Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health and Welfare, & Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2015). Reports on the Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey, Cheongju City, Chungbuk: Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, & Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2011). Korea Health Statistics 2010 : Korea National health and Nutrition Examination Survey [KNHANES V-1], Cheonwon County, Chungbuk: Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, & Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2014). Korea Health Statistics 2013 : Korea National health and Nutrition Examination Survey [KNHANES VI-1], Cheongju City, Chungbuk: Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.
- Prak, E. J., Kim, K. N., & Cho, J. S. (2005). Dietary habits and nutrient intake according to the frequency of fast food consumption among middle school students in Cheongju area. Journal of Human Ecology, 9, 165-178.
- Park, E. O., & Sohn, S. Y. (2009). The relating factors on depression among adolescents in South Korea. Journal of the Korean Society of School Health, 22(1), 85-95.
- Park, H. J. (2014). The data submitted by Ministry of Education for the annual parliamentary audit, Seoul: National Assembly.
- Park, J. Y., Lee, J. S, Jang, Y. A., Chung, H. R., & Kim, J. S. (2011). A comparison of food and nutrient intake between instant noodle consumers and non-instant noodle consumers in Korean adults. Nutrition Research and Practice, 5(5), 443-449. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2011.5.5.443
- Park, M. H., & Yim, S. Y. (2014). Relationships between dietaty behaviors, health behaviors, and depression among the middle and high school students in Korea. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 16(5), 2683-2694.
- Seo, H. S., Lee, S. K., & Nam, S. Y. (2011). Factors influencing fast food consumption behaviors of middle-school students in Seoul: an application of theory of planned behaviors. Nutrition Research and Practice, 5(2), 169-178. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2011.5.2.169
- Shin, E. K., Kim, S. Y., Lee, S. H., Bae, I. Y., & Lee, H. G. (2008). Fast food consumption patterns and eating habits of 6th grade elementary school children in Seoul. Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietary Life, 18, 662-74.
- Song, M. J., An, E. M., Shon, H. S., Kim, S. B., & Cha, Y. S. (2005). A study on the status of beverage consumption of the middle school students in Jeonju. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 10(2), 174-182.
- Woo, O. Y. (2015). The implementation process of school health education act. Journal of the Korean Society of School Health, 28(1), 38-46. https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2015.28.1.38
- You, C. H., Kim, M. K., & Lee, W. Y. (2012). A cost-benefit analysis of the healthy school canteen program at middle and high schools. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 29(5), 37-48.
- Health Behavior Factors Associated with Sugar-sweetened Beverage Intake among Adolescents vol.23, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2018.23.3.193