- Volume 33 Issue 2
Objectives: This study investigated the relationship between smoking status and depressive symptoms among Korean adults. Methods: We used the data of 17,871 adults aged 19 years or older from the fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(2010-2012). The subjects were classified as nonsmokers, former smokers, and current smokers by gender. Logistic regression analysis was used to calculate the odds ratios(ORs) and the 95% confidence intervals(CIs) for the effects of smoking status on depressive symptoms, and depression diagnosed by a doctor. Results: Compared to nonsmokers, the ORs of depressive symptoms for current smokers were 1.11(95% CI, 1.11-1.12) among males, and 1.64(95% CI, 1.63-1.64) among females. Compared to former smokers, the ORs of depressive symptoms for current smokers were 1.05(95% CI, 1.05-1.05) among males, and 1.89(95% CI 1.88-1.90) among females. Compared to nonsmokers, the ORs of depression for current smokers were 0.94(95% CI, 0.94-0.95) among males, and 1.40(95% CI, 1.39-1.41) among females. Compared to former smokers, the ORs of depression for current smokers were 1.09(95% CI, 1.09-1.10) among males, and 0.99(95% CI, 0.99-1.00) among females. Conclusions: Smoking is associated with depressive symptoms among Korean adults. Therefore, it is necessary to consider depressive symptoms with the management of tobacco control policies.
- Anda, R. F., Williamson, D. F., Escobedo, L. G., Mast, E. E., Giovino, G. A., & Remington, P. L. (1990). Depression and the dynamics of smoking. A national perspective. The Journal of American Medical Association, 264(12):1541-1545. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1990.03450120053028
- Awtry T. L. & Werling L. L.(2003). Acute and chronic effects of nicotine on serotonin uptake in prefrontal cortex and hippocampus of rats. Synapse, 50(3),206-211 https://doi.org/10.1002/syn.10259
- Benwell, M. E., & Balfour, D. J. (1979). Effects of nicotine administration and its withdrawal on plasma corticosterone and brain 5-hydroxyindoles. Psychopharmacology, 63,7-11. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00426913
- Bhatia, S. C., & Bhatia, S. K. (1999) Depression in women: diagnostic and treatment considerations. American Family Physician, 60(1):225-234.
- Bromet E., Andrade L. H., Hwang I, Sampson N. A., Alonso J.de Girolamo G.,...Kessler R. C.(2011). Cross-national epidemiology of DSM-IV major depressive episode. BMC Medicine, 9, 90. https://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-9-90
- Chang, S. M., Hahm, B. J., Lee, J. Y., Shin, M. S., Jeon, H. J., Hong, J. P.,..., & Cho, M.J. (2008). Cross-national difference in the prevalence of depression caused by the diagnostic threshold. Journal of Affective Disorders, 106(1-2),159-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2007.07.023
- Cho, H.J. (2014). The status and future challenges of tabacco control policy in Korea. Journal Preventive Medicine and Public Health, 47(3),129-135. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2014.47.3.129
- Dani, J. A., & Heinemann, S. (1996). Molecular and cellular aspects of nicotine abuse. Neuron, 16, 905-908. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0896-6273(00)80112-9
- Escobedo, L.G., Reddy, M., & Giovino, G.A. (1998) The relationship between depressive symptoms and cigarette smoking in US adolescents. Addiction, 93(3):433-440. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1360-0443.1998.93343311.x
- Fowler J. S., Volkow N. D., Wang G. J., Pappas N., Logan J., MacGregor R.,..., Cilento R.(1996). Inhibition of monoamine oxidase B in the brains of smokers. Nature, 379(6567),733-736. https://doi.org/10.1038/379733a0
- Hall S. M., Munoz R. F., Reus V. I., & Sees K. L. (1993). Nicotine, negative affect, and depression. Journal Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 61(5), 761-767. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.61.5.761
- Haskell, W. L., Lee, I. M., Pate, R. R., Powell, K. E., Blair, S. N., Franklin, B. A.,..., & Bauman A. (2007). Physical activity and public health: updated recommendation for adults from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association. Circulation, 116(9),1081-1093. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.185649
- Hatsukami, D. K., Le, C. T., Zhang, Y., Joseph, A. M., Mooney, M. E., Carmella, S. G., & Hecht S. S. (2006). Toxicant exposure in cigarette reducers versus light smokers. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention 15(12),2355-2358. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-06-0240
- Husky, M. M., Mazure, C. M., Paliwal, P., & McKee, S. A. (2008). Gender differences in the comorbidity of smoking behavior and major depression. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 93(1-2), 176-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2007.07.015
- Imperato, A., Mulas, A., & Di Chiara, G. (1986). Nicotine preferentially stimulates dopamine release in the limbic system of freely moving rats. European Journal of Pharmacology, 132, 337-338. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-2999(86)90629-1
- Jung-Choi, K. H., Khang, Y. H., & Cho, H. J. (2012). Hidden female smokers in Asia: a comparison of self-reported with cotinine-verified smoking prevalence rates in representative national data from an Asian population. Tobacco Control 21(6), 536-542. https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2011-050012
- Kendler K. S., Neale M. C., MacLean C. J., Heath A. C., Eaves L. J., & Kessler R. C.(1993). Smoking and major depression. Archives of General Psychiatry, 50, 36-43. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1993.01820130038007
- Killen, J. D., Fortmann, S. P., Schatzberg, A., Hayward, C., & Varady, A. (2003). Onset of major depression during treatment for nicotine dependence. Addictive Behaviors 28(3), 461-470. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4603(01)00266-0
- Kim, D. H., & Suh, Y. S. (2009). Smoking as a disease. Korean Journal of Family Medicine, 30(7), 494-502. https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2009.30.7.494
- Kim, T. S., & Kim, D. J. (2007). The association between smoking and depression. Korean Journal of Psychopharmacology, 18(6), 393-398.
- Korean Center for Disease Control. (2011). 2010 National Health Statistics: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES) V-1. Seoul: Korean Center for Disease Control.
- Korean Statistical Information Service(KOSIS). (2014). Korean Standard Classification of Occupations(KSCO). Retrieved from http://kssc.kostat.go.kr
- Lee, E. H., Park, S. K., Ko, K. P., Cho, I. H., Chang, S. H., Shin, H. R.,..., Yoo, K. Y. (2010). Cigarette smoking and mortality in the Korean Multi-Center Cancer Cohort(KMCC) study. Journal of Preventive Medicine & Public Health, 43(2),151-158. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.2.151
- Lee, H. K., & Lee, B. H. (2012). The epidemiology of alcohol use disorders. The Journal of Korean Diabetes, 13, 69-75. https://doi.org/10.4093/jkd.2012.13.2.69
- Lerman C., Caporaso N., Main D., Audrain J., Boyd N. R., Bowman E. D., & Shields P. G.(1998). Depression and self-medication with nicotine: the modifying influence of the dopamine D4 receptor gene. Health Psychology, 17(1),56-62. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-622.214.171.124
- Maurer, D. M. (2012). Screening for depression. American Family Physician 85(2),139-144.
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development.(2013). OECD factbook 2013: Economic, Environmental and Social Statistics. Paris, France: OECD Publishing.
- Park, H. S., Park, C. Y., Oh, S. W., & Yoo, H. J. (2008) Prevalence of obesiy and metabolic syndrome in Korean adults. Obesity Reviews, 9(2), 104-107.
- Park J. H. & Kim K. W.(2011). A review of the epidemiology of depression in Korea. Journal of the Korean Medical Association, 54(4), 362-369. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2011.54.4.362
- Park, S., Romer, D., & Lim, S. (2013). Does smoking initiation in adolescence increase risk for depression across the lifespan? Evidence from the South Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Journal of Addictions Nursing 24(3), 142-148. https://doi.org/10.1097/JAN.0b013e3182a4cad3
- Seoul National University College of Medicine (2012). The epidemiological survey of mental disorders in Korea 2011. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Taylor, G., McNeill, A., Girling, A., Farley, A., Lindson-Hawley, N., & Aveyard, P. (2014). Change in mental health after smoking cessation: systematic review and meta-analysis. British Medical Journal, 13;348:g1151.
- Whooley, M. A., Avins, A. L., Miranda, J., & Browner, W. S. (1997) Case-finding instruments for depression. Two questions are as good as many. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 12(7):439-445. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1497.1997.00076.x
- World Health Organization. (2013). WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic 2013. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/tobacco/global_report/2013/en/.
- Yun, W. J., Shin, M. H., Kweon, S. S., Ryu, S. Y., & Rhee, J. A. (2012). Association of smoking status, cumulative smoking, duration of smoking cessation, age of starting smoking, and depression in Korean adults. Biomed Central Public Health, 12, 724-730. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-724