- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Consumers' Perception towards Corporate Social Responsibility and Repurchase Intention: A Study of Consumer Industry in Vietnam
- Thi, QuyVo (Head of Finance and Banking Department, International University (IU), Vietnam National University HCMC) ;
- Van, Phung Le (Phu Long TSCCompany)
- Received : 2016.04.07
- Accepted : 2016.04.24
- Published : 2016.06.30
Nowadays Corporate social responsibility (CSR) has become a critical factor influencing customers' buying intention. The study conducted aims to explore the relationship between customers' perception towards CSR and their repurchase intention. The data was collected by using survey questionnaires from 320 individual customers living in Ho Chi Minh City and processed in SPSS software. The research results showed that among CSR components, economic and charitable responsibilities have a positive impact on Vietnamese customers' repurchase intention at the significance level of 1% and the two other factors at 10%. The findings assume that CSR components have become factors explaining customers' repurchase intention, especially for consumer goods, and firms should enforce their corporate social responsibility to capture customers' repurchase intention and in turn increase their customers' loyalty.
Corporate Social Responsibility(CSR);Repurchase Intention;Consumer Goods;Vietnamese Customers
- Ajzen, I. (2002), Perceived Behavioral Control, Self-Efficacy, Locus of Control, and the Theory of Planned Behavior, Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 32, 665-683. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2002.tb00236.x
- Bhattacharya, C. B. and Sen, S. (2001), Does doing good always lead to doing better? Consumer reactions to corporate social responsibility, J Mark Res., 38(2), 225-243. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.188.8.131.5238
- Bui, T. L. H. (2008), The perspective on CSR in emerging countries: The case of Vietnam, International Vision, 57-74.
- Cacioppe, R., Forster, N., and Fox, M. (2008), A survey of managers' perceptions of corporate ethics and social responsibility and actions that may affect companies' success, Journal of Business Ethics, 82, 681-700. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-007-9586-y
- Carroll, A. B. (1979), A three-dimensional conceptual model of corporate Performance, Academy of Management Review.
- Chan, T. S. (1996), Concerns for Environmental Issues and Consumer Purchase Preferences: A Two-Country study, Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 9, 43-55. https://doi.org/10.1300/J046v09n01_04
- Dodds, W., Monroe, K., and Grewal, D. (1991), Effects of price, brand, and store information on buyers'product evaluations, Journal of Marketing Research, 28, 307-19. https://doi.org/10.2307/3172866
- Donaton, S. and Fitzgerald, K. (1992), Polls Show Ecological Concerns is Strong, Advertising Age, 63(49).
- Ellen Pam Schoder, Mohr Lois A, Web Deborah J. (2000), Charitable programs and the retailer: do they mix?, J Retail., 76(3), 393-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(00)00032-4
- Ellen, P. S., Wiener, J. L., and Cobb-Walgren, C. (1991), The Role of Perceived Consumer Effectiveness in Motivating Environmentally Conscious Behaviors, Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, 10, 102-117.
- Fierman L. (1991), Procter and Gamble zeros in on green, American Demographics, 16.
- Freeman, R. E. (1984), Strategic Management: A stakeholder Approach, Boston, MA: Pitman.
- George, D. and Mallery, P. (2003), SPSS for Windows step by step: A simple guide andreference. 11.0 update (4th ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Green, T. and Peloza, J. S. (2011), How does corporate social responsibility create value for consumers?, Journal of Consumer Marketing, 28(1), 48-56. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363761111101949
- Hair, J. F., Tatham, R. L., Anderson, R. E., and Black, W. (2006), Multivariate Data Analysis, Sixth Edition. Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Hartmann, M., Heinen, S., Melis, S., and Simons, J. (2013), Consumers' awareness of CSR in the German pork industry, British Food Journal, 115(1), 124-141. https://doi.org/10.1108/00070701311289911
- Karen, L., Becker-Olsena, B., Cudmore, A., and Hill, R. P. (2006), The impact of perceived corporate social responsibility on consumer behavior, Journal of Business Research, 59, 46-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2005.01.001
- Kim, H. Y. and Chung, J.-E. (2011), Consumer purchase intention for organic personal care products, Journal of Consumer Marketing, 28(1), 40-47. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363761111101930
- Kim, Y. and Choi, S. M. (2005), Antecedents of Green Purchase Behavior: An Examination of Collectivism, Environmental Concern, and PCE, Advances in Consumer Research, 32, 592-599.
- Keller, K. L. (2001), Building customer-based brand equity: creating brand resonance requires carefully sequenced brand-building efforts, Marketing Management, 10(2), 15-19.
- Kerr, K. (1990), Thinking Green is No Longer a Hippie Dream, AdWeek, 31, 18-19.
- Klein, J. G. and Dawar, N. (2004), Corporate social responsibility and consumers' attribution and brand evaluations in a product-ham crisis, International journal of research in marketing, 21, 203-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2003.12.003
- Maignan, I. and Ferrell, O. C. (2004), Corporate social responsibility and marketing: an integrative framework, The Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 32(1), 3-19. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070303258971
- McDaniel, S. W. (1993), View Profile; Rylander, David HView Profile, The Journal of Consumer Marketing, 10(3), 4.
- McDougall, G. H. G. (1993), The green movement in Canada: implications for marketing strategy, Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 5(3), 69-88 [Infotrieve].
- Mohr, L. A. and Webb, D. J. (2005), The Effect of Corporate Social Responsibility and Price on Consumer Responses?, Journal of Consumer Affairs, 39(1), 121-147. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6606.2005.00006.x
- Mohr, L., Webb, D., and Harris, K. (2001), Do consumers expect companies to be socially responsible? The impact of corporate social responsibility on buying behavior, The Journal of Consumer Affairs, 35(1), 45-67. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6606.2001.tb00102.x
- MORI (2000), The First Ever European Survey of Consumers' Attitudes Towards Corporate Social Responsibility and Country Profiles, London: MORI and CSR Europe.
- Nielsen, A. E. and Thomsen, C. (2007), Reporting CSRwhat and how to say it?, Corporate Communications: An international Journal, 12(1), 25-40. https://doi.org/10.1108/13563280710723732
- Ottman, J. (1993), Industry's Response to Green Consumerism, Journal of Business Strategy, 13, 3-7.
- Patricia Martinez Garcia de Leaniz, Ignacio Rodriguez del Bosque Rodriguez (2012), Spanish Consumer's Perception of Corporate Social Responsibility, International Journal of Advances.
- Pohle, G. and Hithner, J. (2008), Attaining Sustainable Growth through Corporate Social Responsibility, IBM Global Business Services, IBM Business for Business Value.
- Ramasamy, B. and Yeung, M. (2008), Chinese consumer's perception of Corporate Social Responsibilty (CSR), Journal of Business Ethics, 88(1), 119-132.
- Rowley, T. J. and Moldoveanu, M. (2003), When will stakeholder groups act? An interest and identity based model of stakeholder group mobilization, Academy of Management Review, 28, 204-219. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2003.9416080
- Samin, R., Goodarz, J. D., Muhammad, S. R., Firoozeh, F., Mahsa, H., and Sanaz, E. (2012), A Conceptual Study on the Country of Origin Effect on Consumer Purchase Intention, Canadian Center of Science and Education, 8(12), 205-215.
- Smith, J. A., Flower, P., and Larkin, M. (2009), Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis: Theory, Method and Research, Qualitative Research in Psychology, 6(4), 346-347. https://doi.org/10.1080/14780880903340091
- Strahilevitz, M. (1999), The Effects of Product Type and Donation Magnitude on Willingness to Pay More for a Charity-Linked Brand, Journal of Consumer Psychology, 8(3), 215-241. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327663jcp0803_02
- Thi Lan Huong Bui, University of Guam, (2010), The Vietnamese consumer perception on corporate social responsibility, Journal of International Business Research, 9(1).
- Van Marrewijk, M. (2003), Concepts and definitions of CSR and corporate sustainability: between agency and communion, Journal of Business Ethics, 44, 95-105. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023331212247